Havana Cabins

jewel825

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light for me on the havana cabins. I haven't sailed Carnival in years so this is all new to me! My family is interested in a cruise on the Horizon for spring break next year. I see there are Havana cabins that have a private pool and bar area. They sound awesome! What's I'm trying to figure out is how the Havana Cabana cabins work. Is there an ocean balcony? Or is it just a patio that is up against the pool deck? Or what? I asked for pricing from my travel agent on Havana Cabana rooms and she gave me pricing on aft on deck 6 rooms. Are they Cabana or just aft balcony with access to the Havana area? Can someone please clarify? Thanks in advance. :)

Havana Cabins come in a few variations: Interior, Premium Balcony, Extended Aft Balcony, Premium Vista Balcony, Cabana (patio) and Cabana Suite (patio).

The Cabana rooms on deck 5 have a patio area which you can exit and walk out to the pool deck, you get special access cards to enter your room and the pool deck. All Havana rooms come with wristbands you must wear to access the Havana Deck before 7pm.

Balconies are on decks 6, 7, 8 & 9.

All guests must be over 12 to stay in the Havana cabins, you get exclusive access to the Havana pool deck until 7pm.

Edited by MBP1

Thanks for responding!

If the rooms my travel agent gave pricing for are aft rooms on deck 6, they wouldn't be the patio ones that exit out onto the pool deck? Those are the ones I'm most interested in but now I'm thinking they may be sold out.

Thanks for responding!

If the rooms my travel agent gave pricing for are aft rooms on deck 6, they wouldn't be the patio ones that exit out onto the pool deck? Those are the ones I'm most interested in but now I'm thinking they may be sold out.

That is correct, if staying in a balcony on Deck 6 it would be just one flight of stairs down and you are on the Havana Deck. If you want the patio tell your TA you want a Cabana room, just know there is a glass wall on Deck 5 so it is not exactly a clear view to the ocean.

The Cabana rooms on deck 5 have a patio area which you can exit and walk out to the pool deck, you get special access cards to enter your room and the pool deck. All Havana rooms come with wristbands you must wear to access the Havana Deck before 7pm.

Just as a point of clarification, yes, you can exit your room through the patio door to go to the pool area, but you can’t lock it behind you. If you want your room locked while you are in the pool area, you have to exit the room out the regular cabin door, go down the hallway, and then walk through the Havana bar.

We are currently in 5239 on the Horizon which is the last room at the end of the hallway, but the first one near the pool. Not being able to lock the patio door from the outside is a pain, and while I don’t care on this cruise because we are not using the pool (we were upsold from an interior to the cabana for a small amount), I would not bother to book a cabana for a Caribbean cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just as a point of clarification, yes, you can exit your room through the patio door to go to the pool area, but you can’t lock it behind you. If you want your room locked while you are in the pool area, you have to exit the room out the regular cabin door, go down the hallway, and then walk through the Havana bar.

We are currently in 5239 on the Horizon which is the last room at the end of the hallway, but the first one near the pool. Not being able to lock the patio door from the outside is a pain, and while I don’t care on this cruise because we are not using the pool (we were upsold from an interior to the cabana for a small amount), I would not bother to book a cabana for a Caribbean cruise.

We had a cabana on Vista last summer and you could not open the patio door from the outside without the card. Is the Horizon different?

That is correct, if staying in a balcony on Deck 6 it would be just one flight of stairs down and you are on the Havana Deck. If you want the patio tell your TA you want a Cabana room, just know there is a glass wall on Deck 5 so it is not exactly a clear view to the ocean.

Awesome - thanks for clarifying. I have now requested a quote on a deck 5 patio room. The deck 6 aft balconies were more than I wanted to spend but they look really nice.

Okay, that's crazy that you can't lock your door from the patio side. Kind of pain to walk all the way around! I'll add this as a con to my pro/con list! Thanks for responding.

Awesome - thanks for clarifying. I have now requested a quote on a deck 5 patio room. The deck 6 aft balconies were more than I wanted to spend but they look really nice.

From the cruises I've looked at Cabanas on deck 5 cost more than aft balcony Havana cabins.

Ah crud. I'll find out soon enough. Now that I've seen this Havana area, I really want it!
Then just book a Havana inside, you would probably spend more time on deck 5 adjacent to the pool, hot tubs and bar then you would on your patio or balcony. And with the money you save, you can use it towards Cheers.

Okay, that's crazy that you can't lock your door from the patio side. Kind of pain to walk all the way around! I'll add this as a con to my pro/con list! Thanks for responding.

That is totally false about the patio door not locking! Ours locked automatically when you pulled it closed. You had to remember the special room card they give you just for the patio sliding door. If we forgot the sliding door card, our door was locked! We never had to go inside to access our cabin from the hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is totally false about the patio door not locking! Ours locked automatically when you pulled it closed. You had to remember the special room card they give you just for the patio sliding door. If we forgot the sliding door card, our door was locked! We never had to go inside to access our cabin from the hall.

We understand this to be the case as well and that it was quite convenient and that you just had to remember your card. We're booked for next year.

We had a cabana on Vista last summer and you could not open the patio door from the outside without the card. Is the Horizon different?

It must be. There is no place to swipe your card from the patio. It only locks from the inside, when you turn the handle from the up position to downwards, which locks it. I wish I took pictures. I didn’t realize this was different than how it is on the Vista.

It must be. There is no place to swipe your card from the patio. It only locks from the inside, when you turn the handle from the up position to downwards, which locks it. I wish I took pictures. I didn’t realize this was different than how it is on the Vista.

You don’t swipe your card, you just have to wave it over a pad mounted by the door. It will then release the lock so you can pull open the door from the outside.

Thanks to everyone for your input and information. I really appreciate all the comments and the picture of the patio balcony. It turns out I really don't have too many options. The only cabins available are the aft balcony ones on deck 6 or inside. Everything else is sold out for the week. I currently have a 24 hour hold on the aft balcony ones. I just need to convince the rest of the group that they are worth the extra $$$. I'm sold but it's going to take some work to sell others within the next 24 hours!

I just need to convince the rest of the group that they are worth the extra $$$. I'm sold but it's going to take some work to sell others within the next 24 hours!

Just show them some pictures of the regular pool decks on a sea day and the amenities of the Havana Deck, that should be enough to convince them.

The Havana rooms are so worth it! I was in an inside room on the Vista in the Caribbean last fall, nothing compares to sitting in the private pool watching the Miami skyline fade away as you leave port. It was so peaceful!! And I found the location (Deck 5) to be ideal for getting places on the ship. Having Ocean Plaza right outside your stateroom door was ideal, the Taste Bar has buffet-style breakfast there in the morning and most people did not know about it! Not crowded, quick, and convenient. Plus, you can take your breakfast outside on the balcony to eat! And as a trivia buff, Ocean Plaza is where they hold the trivia and games.

The only cabins available are the aft balcony ones on deck 6 or inside. Everything else is sold out for the week. I currently have a 24 hour hold on the aft balcony ones. I just need to convince the rest of the group that they are worth the extra $$$.

Just show them some pictures of the regular pool decks on a sea day and the amenities of the Havana Deck, that should be enough to convince them.
If you're with a group, then choose the inside cabin so that the group can all hang out together in the Havana area. With the cost savings between the inside and the aft balcony, you can get Cheers.

KsMcdonald's explanation is correct. Door locks automatically and you can enter from outside. FYI....We stayed in #5239 this past November on Vista!! If your saying this is different on Horizon....Did they also give you a blank white card you can use for the metal doors separating general deck fro Havana on deck 5?? If so, that same card would work by tapping on the pad just outside the balcony door. Note.... Steward will secure the door in the fully locked position. You need to move handle up for access from outside....so just be aware its best you exit thru that door to ensure you have access when going back in

Thanks again to everyone's input and suggestions. We booked the aft Havana balconies on deck 6. I am so excited! Looking at our sailing date now, there is only one Havana room left on our sailing which is a patio room. All the aft balcony and inside rooms are sold out. Sheesh, it's a whole year out! I'm glad we moved on it quickly because there was no time to spare. I'm excited to sail Carnival again and see ports we have never been to. April 2019 can't come fast enough!

My wife and I were on the Vista 4/29/18 sailing in Havana cabin 5216. Our door never locked when we closed it from the outside. I tried all week but it never happened. One night I was on the patio and the LEDs around the pad for the white card were flashing red and blue. I think ours was just broken. No big deal, but we got up one morning and someone had been smoking on our patio the night before. There were ashes on the deck near our lounger chair. We shared the story with our neighbor and they noticed the same thing on their patio as well.

But the worst was the creaking door. It wasn't bad the first few nights, but on the way back from Cozumel the ship was moving faster and we were swaying a bit. Our door made an obnoxious creaking noise that kept us up a couple of nights. It even woke up our neighbor. The door frame was flexing which caused the noise. We called and they send a guy with a jar of vaseline. He said it's the wind and there's nothing that can be done about it (but he still applied vaseline). My wife called again and insisted they send someone else. Two engineers showed up and they told us nothing can be done until the ship is in dry dock. It's a known problem and they've seen it in Havana cabins all over the Vista. My wife complained enough and they gave us a credit. We enjoyed the Havana area overall, but if I had known that was going to happen I would have saved some money and booked a regular balcony cabin.

My wife and I were on the Vista 4/29/18 sailing in Havana cabin 5216. Our door never locked when we closed it from the outside. I tried all week but it never happened. One night I was on the patio and the LEDs around the pad for the white card were flashing red and blue. I think ours was just broken. No big deal, but we got up one morning and someone had been smoking on our patio the night before. There were ashes on the deck near our lounger chair. We shared the story with our neighbor and they noticed the same thing on their patio as well.

But the worst was the creaking door. It wasn't bad the first few nights, but on the way back from Cozumel the ship was moving faster and we were swaying a bit. Our door made an obnoxious creaking noise that kept us up a couple of nights. It even woke up our neighbor. The door frame was flexing which caused the noise. We called and they send a guy with a jar of vaseline. He said it's the wind and there's nothing that can be done about it (but he still applied vaseline). My wife called again and insisted they send someone else. Two engineers showed up and they told us nothing can be done until the ship is in dry dock. It's a known problem and they've seen it in Havana cabins all over the Vista. My wife complained enough and they gave us a credit. We enjoyed the Havana area overall, but if I had known that was going to happen I would have saved some money and booked a regular balcony cabin.

My husband and I were in that room during the 5/15/2018 sailing and they must have fixed it because the lock worked and it was fine and no creaking. We also had cigarette butts and ashes on our patio and deck also. The crew thought it was thrown over from the cabins above. It was disgusting.