Best time to board?

Baby_Bear

Hi, we are booked on the Horizon for August 28, sailing out of New York. I was doing our pre cruise registration and we were given these half hour time slots for boarding. We took the 11:30 slot which was the earliest. I'm now wondering if we should take a slightly later slot, as we would prefer to go straight to our room on boarding to drop off our carry on, use the bathroom, etc and then go to lunch.

On our previous cruises, the rooms were ready between 12:30-1:00, I'm assuming that's still the same? I was therefore thinking maybe to change the boarding slot to 12. What do you think?

11:30 is the earliest time you can arrive at the Port. You're not getting on the ship at that time. You have to go through the boarding process once you arrive, then you get on board. It takes maybe 30 minutes until you're on board, as long as everything is moving as it should.

Drop your bags with the Porters, only carry on a small carry on bag. Maybe you'll be on board at 12, walk around a bit (which is why you don't want all your luggage), then go to lunch about 1. Your room should be ready by the time you're done.

The earlier you get on the earlier the fun begins!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

11.30 is the sweet spot imo, usually quick on and not to crowded yet. I use my smallest roller suitcase for all my carry on stuff and it joins us for lunch on lido. I relax there until around 1 and then head to the room to dump it.

11:30 is the earliest time you can arrive at the Port. You're not getting on the ship at that time. You have to go through the boarding process once you arrive, then you get on board. It takes maybe 30 minutes until you're on board, as long as everything is moving as it should.

Drop your bags with the Porters, only carry on a small carry on bag. Maybe you'll be on board at 12, walk around a bit (which is why you don't want all your luggage), then go to lunch about 1. Your room should be ready by the time you're done.

The earlier you get on the earlier the fun begins!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know it doesn't mean we will be on the ship at 11:30. In my experience, it usually takes about half an hour to check in so that's why I was thinking to maybe take a later slot. I guess I was wondering what the crowds would be like slightly later (we had a nightmare experience last year boarding Princess in Athens) but maybe due to the staggered slots, that won't be an issue here.

Does this still apply to FTTF cruisers? We selected the 1130 time and paid for FFTF. When we get on, will our room be ready?
Your cabin should be ready as soon as you board with FTTF. Even if there's a sign on the doors to the cabin hallway that says cabins aren't ready until 1:30, priority passengers are allowed. Sometimes, if they fall behind, they may not have your cabin ready right away, but they probably won't have a problem with you dropping your bags off. You can set them somewhere out of the way.

Your cabin should be ready as soon as you board with FTTF. Even if there's a sign on the doors to the cabin hallway that says cabins aren't ready until 1:30, priority passengers are allowed. Sometimes, if they fall behind, they may not have your cabin ready right away, but they probably won't have a problem with you dropping your bags off. You can set them somewhere out of the way.

There is a pesky old sign saying you cannot go to your cabin before 1 30

If I don't have FTTF, my time slot is 12:30 - 1pm, can I arrive at the port early? Check out at hotel by 10am. I can't find anything earlier.
Yes, you can technically arrive at the terminal earlier than your check-in time, but they won't let you into the terminal until your check-in time. You'll have to wait outside. If you don't want to do that, you can ask your hotel for a late check-out or go kill some time somewhere.

There is a pesky old sign saying you cannot go to your cabin before 1 30
The theory going around about the new sign (that doesn't specifically say P/D/FTTF can go through) is that maybe by not making note of the exceptions on the sign, it'll cut down on people going to their cabins who aren't allowed (posing as priority). But those who know they're allowed, know the sign doesn't apply. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As others have indicated, without FTTF, your room will not be ready til 130. So either arrive later, drop your luggage and have a late lunch, knowing that there will be lines and tough to get a spot to sit and eat, or else do as others have suggested and give your luggage to porters and only carry a small carry-on, board as soon as they will let you, and find a space to relax until after 1:30 when you are ready to go to your room.

We have done both prior to becoming Platinum and both have worked, with the obvious pros and cons each way. I think we prefer a circumstance that allows us to carry all our luggage on - not having to wait for porters - so that after we eat, we can unpack and get settled. We still seem to have plenty of time to walk the ship before muster. This helps us feel like we are on vacation. We do YTD so it is easy to simply eat a late lunch and then have a later dinner.

As others have indicated, without FTTF, your room will not be ready til 130. So either arrive later, drop your luggage and have a late lunch, knowing that there will be lines and tough to get a spot to sit and eat, or else do as others have suggested and give your luggage to porters and only carry a small carry-on, board as soon as they will let you, and find a space to relax until after 1:30 when you are ready to go to your room.

We have done both prior to becoming Platinum and both have worked, with the obvious pros and cons each way. I think we prefer a circumstance that allows us to carry all our luggage on - not having to wait for porters - so that after we eat, we can unpack and get settled. We still seem to have plenty of time to walk the ship before muster. This helps us feel like we are on vacation. We do YTD so it is easy to simply eat a late lunch and then have a later dinner.

I think the biggest reason those boarding around 1:00 can't find a place to sit and eat is because the tables are being used by those that boarded at 11:30 and then decided the space to relax was at their Lido table. You see so many people who have already eaten just sitting there taking up the table. I would love it if Lido staff would direct these people to another area to relax and give their tables up to someone who is walking around with their plates searching for somewhere to sit.

Hi, we are booked on the Horizon for August 28, sailing out of New York. I was doing our pre cruise registration and we were given these half hour time slots for boarding. We took the 11:30 slot which was the earliest. I'm now wondering if we should take a slightly later slot, as we would prefer to go straight to our room on boarding to drop off our carry on, use the bathroom, etc and then go to lunch.

On our previous cruises, the rooms were ready between 12:30-1:00, I'm assuming that's still the same? I was therefore thinking maybe to change the boarding slot to 12. What do you think?

I would keep the earlier time in case you change your mind. If your room not being ready yet is the issue, it likely will not be ready when you board with an 11:30 arrival. Just b/c your assigned time is 11:30 doesn't mean you can't arrive a bit later, but you cannot arrive earlier than assigned time. Depends on port, but many will not let you enter the terminal before your assigned time.

To miss crowds and have room ready, arrive at 1 pm.

Does this still apply to FTTF cruisers? We selected the 1130 time and paid for FFTF. When we get on, will our room be ready?

Even if not completely ready (although it should be) you should have access to your room since that is one of the big selling points of FTTF.

Without FTTF, if you want to take everything to your room with you I recommend waiting until after 1:30 or the 30 minutes before the latest time you can arrive. Rooms should be ready at this point for all passengers and lines should be diminished since most will have already boarded (if these boards are to be believed;)).