Boston hotel night before cruise least expensive option

Cafabi

I need a room for Jun 22 for one night for 2 adults and a 12 year old. Our flight will get in too late to do any sightseeing or fine dining, so we really need nothing more than a clean place to shower and sleep. We will not have a car. We are open to taxi, Uber, or the bus. We can manage our luggage on and off the bus. We do not mind prepaying. What is our least expensive combined option for hotel and transportation (airport to hotel/hotel to cruise termnial)? Thanks so much for any advice.

I need a room for Jun 22 for one night for 2 adults and a 12 year old. Our flight will get in too late to do any sightseeing or fine dining, so we really need nothing more than a clean place to shower and sleep. We will not have a car. We are open to taxi, Uber, or the bus. We can manage our luggage on and off the bus. We do not mind prepaying. What is our least expensive combined option for hotel and transportation (airport to hotel/hotel to cruise termnial)? Thanks so much for any advice.

What is your target budget? Exactly how Late does your flight arrive?

Right now. Hotwire Seaport District for $139 ($173.5 with tax) for 3 people 3* hotel. This is by far and away the only deal I'm seeing and I know any 3* in the Seaport area will be acceptable. You can take the Silver Line for free from the airport to World Trade and walk or take a very short cab ride from the Seaport hotel to your hotel. This will save you some money. The hotel will be close to the port and you can walk, cab, or Silver Line to the ship the next day.

Thank you so much! I booked it, and it is the Aloft. Now I will try to figure out the transportation. Again, thanks so much.

You can take the Silver LIne 1 (a bus) from the airport to the World Trade Center stop and then you can walk to the hotel.

Here are the directions and a map.

http://www.aloftbostonseaportdistrict.com/hotels-near-logan-airport

Thank you so much! I booked it, and it is the Aloft. Now I will try to figure out the transportation. Again, thanks so much.

What airline are you flying?

You can take an Uber or cab. However, after you collect your luggage, you can also just walk right out of the terminal and catch the free Silver Line bus on the arrivals level. This is no worse than getting on a rental car shuttle. You get on the rearmost door because the luggage racks are right there. You get off at the World Trade Center street stop, walk in the same direction of the bus to the traffic light on the corner, and cross the street to the Seaport hotel entrance on Seaport Lane where there is a cab stand. It's about 5-6 blocks to the Aloft Hotel.

Aloft is about 6 blocks from the pier walking, but about 10 blocks by cab because of the one way streets which cabs must use.

I haven't booked my flights yet--I just know that we will be late arriving since my husband will need to go into the office that morning. Will have to weigh the expense of Uber/cab against the hassle of the 2-step option. Thanks a million. You have reduced a 2-week research project into a couple of hours!

You're more than welcome! Boston hotel prices can be super expensive. I have no idea what's going on around June 22. The Seaport District hotels are all relatively new - either new construction or new refurbishments of existing buildings into hotels. There are no "dumps". That's why booking any 3* and up hotel on Hotwire in that area is relatively without risk. You got very lucky.

Another piece of advice - call the hotel midday on that Friday to confirm your reservation and be sure they block out a room for 3 people. When we did 2 rooms 2 years ago with DD and 3 DGD's on July 4, we got the fancy 4* Westin. However, we had to have them put a rollaway bed in each room to accommodate the six of us. It worked out really well, but I wasn't expecting the rollaways and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to deal with that late at night.

Thanks for all the tips! We may just go with a taxi or Uber upon arrival for the sake of convenience. It looks like taxis and UberXL from the airport to Aloft are running about the same ($25.) And from Aloft to the pier $8-10? Does that sound right? My eyes started to cross when I got to the part about airport surcharges, etc.

We may spend a night post-cruise so we can do the Freedom Trail. We would get a real kick out of staying at the Parker House. Would that make a good home base location-wise? Any tips on finding a deal?

I was thinking about getting a rental car for a day, but it looks like it would be more of a hindrance than a help.

Cafabi,

It appears that you're in good hands here with hotel advice. A few years ago, I stayed in a hotel next door-ish to the Parker House. It was a great location; especially for the Freedom Trail tours - one of which starts across Tremont St, at Boston Common. I recall that there were a few different walking tours, but by far the best (and cheapest) were the ones presented by the Freedom Trail Society in which members give the tour in their personal character, who was an actual person of the period. I believe the tours were $20 per part (there are two parts, the other concentrates more on the North End and Paul Revere). Complicating matters is that companies like Viator resell these tours. If you're interested in a Freedom Trail Walking Tour, spend some time checking out the options.

138east - Is the Design Center the closest Silver Line stop to the pier? We'll be in town for July 4th, next year.

I just ask the bus driver where to get off. The bus will likely be very empty with maybe a few other cruisers. The stops on Black Falcon Avenue are the last stops before the bus starts back to South Station.

The important thing is to get on a SL 2 bus that is going to Black Falcon Ave.

Thanks for all the tips! We may just go with a taxi or Uber upon arrival for the sake of convenience. It looks like taxis and UberXL from the airport to Aloft are running about the same ($25.) And from Aloft to the pier $8-10? Does that sound right? My eyes started to cross when I got to the part about airport surcharges, etc.

We may spend a night post-cruise so we can do the Freedom Trail. We would get a real kick out of staying at the Parker House. Would that make a good home base location-wise? Any tips on finding a deal?

I was thinking about getting a rental car for a day, but it looks like it would be more of a hindrance than a help.

I'm seeing the Omni Parker House for about $300 plus tax. IMO it's a quirky hotel with odd rooms. Location is fine, but just remember that the Freedom Trail is only a suggested walking path through downtown Boston to help tourists find the historical sites that are nestled in among the more modern buildings. There's nothing sacred about the Trail itself. "The Freedom Trail was conceived by local journalist William Schofield, who in 1951 suggested building a pedestrian trail to link important local landmarks."

The best deal I'm seeing is the 4* Renaissance in the Seaport district on lastminutetravel.com for $150(may have to join to see this price) cancellable until 6/27. This hotel is located on the waterfront right near the Silver Line Silver Line Way Station (much closer to the Silver Line than Aloft). Easy to drop your bags and take off for the Freedom Trail. Price savings could be used for Uber or water taxis to go wherever.

You're more than welcome! Boston hotel prices can be super expensive. I have no idea what's going on around June 22. The Seaport District hotels are all relatively new - either new construction or new refurbishments of existing buildings into hotels. There are no "dumps". That's why booking any 3* and up hotel on Hotwire in that area is relatively without risk. You got very lucky.

Another piece of advice - call the hotel midday on that Friday to confirm your reservation and be sure they block out a room for 3 people. When we did 2 rooms 2 years ago with DD and 3 DGD's on July 4, we got the fancy 4* Westin. However, we had to have them put a rollaway bed in each room to accommodate the six of us. It worked out really well, but I wasn't expecting the rollaways and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to deal with that late at night.

Hi Carol

After reading the posts here, I just booked a hot rate hotel via Hotwire and got the Element Boston for $129 plus taxes. Around the same date you mentoined above. How is the Element? I have stayed at the ALoft many tmes, but not at this one.

Hi Carol

After reading the posts here, I just booked a hot rate hotel via Hotwire and got the Element Boston for $129 plus taxes. Around the same date you mentoined above. How is the Element? I have stayed at the ALoft many tmes, but not at this one.

I haven't stayed there, but it was a new hotel in 2016 and part of the same company as Aloft. It also offers free breakfast. $129 is a fantastic deal. I'm sure you will be happy with the hotel.

I haven't stayed there, but it was a new hotel in 2016 and part of the same company as Aloft. It also offers free breakfast. $129 is a fantastic deal. I'm sure you will be happy with the hotel.

Thank you for all your great info.

Does $25 sound about right for cab fare from the airport to Aloft? It will be 3 people and their luggage. Not sure which terminal yet. I am getting inconsistent info when I search.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am really getting excited about Boston and not just the cruise!

Does $25 sound about right for cab fare from the airport to Aloft? It will be 3 people and their luggage. Not sure which terminal yet. I am getting inconsistent info when I search.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am really getting excited about Boston and not just the cruise!

I'm seeing it estimated at a little over $25 with tip. There should not be a lot of traffic late night, but there are traffic lights in the Seaport District.

Carol (138East) Could you advise please?

I need a room for myself for one night, Oct 27, 2018 (Serenade OTS repo Oct 28). I noticed on another post that you said Oct is “high season”. Hotwire Hot Rates currently run $195 to $220. $195 is a 3.5 boutique hotel in Seaport-Convention area which would probably be more than acceptable for me. Is there really any sense in looking/holding on for a better deal?

Carol (138East) Could you advise please?

I need a room for myself for one night, Oct 27, 2018 (Serenade OTS repo Oct 28). I noticed on another post that you said Oct is “high season”. Hotwire Hot Rates currently run $195 to $220. $195 is a 3.5 boutique hotel in Seaport-Convention area which would probably be more than acceptable for me. Is there really any sense in looking/holding on for a better deal?

I'm very sure this hotel is the Yotel. If you go up to the $210 4* hotel, it is likely to be the Westin or Seaport. Yotel is the newest hotel in the Seaport District. Read about its unique concept. Both hotels can be accessed by a free Silver Line ride from the airport, so that could be a $25-30 savings. You can also use the Silver Line to go to the port to save another few $$.

I have no idea if Hotwire prices will go down between now and the fall. College weekends are busy here and the schedules are just coming out. If you don't want to book now, I would make some sort of cancellable reservation you can live with and watch the Hotwire prices.

I'm very sure this hotel is the Yotel. If you go up to the $210 4* hotel, it is likely to be the Westin or Seaport. Yotel is the newest hotel in the Seaport District. Read about its unique concept. Both hotels can be accessed by a free Silver Line ride from the airport, so that could be a $25-30 savings. You can also use the Silver Line to go to the port to save another few $$.

I have no idea if Hotwire prices will go down between now and the fall. College weekends are busy here and the schedules are just coming out. If you don't want to book now, I would make some sort of cancellable reservation you can live with and watch the Hotwire prices.

Hi Carol,

I went through with the $195 option and got the Yotel. I read some of the reviews on Tripadvisor yesterday and it will be more than adequate for one night and convenient. Now that I have made a commitment to arrive a day early, I can make my air arrangements and put this to bed until October.

Thanks for your information here on Cruisecritic.

Mike