Your opinion please...the best choice for an Arctic Cruise...

nucleon

Hi! I'm polling the audience! Looking at these two cruises for August, 2019:

https://www.seabourn.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=E9N24A&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=6935&selectedMeta=Veranda%20Suite&shipId=SQ

and

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/cruises-arctic-greenland/kangerlussuaq-to-kangerlussuaq-1920.html

The Silverseas trip seems to have more wilderness...no civilization beyond the small villages and towns here and there. It goes much further north in Greenland and Canada.

The Seabourn is on our beloved Quest, which took us to Antarctica last year. The Seabourn has longer trip (24 days vs. 16) for similar price, although it does NOT include airfare, so price per day might end up comparable. It does have Reykjavik at the beginning and Quebec City and Montreal at the end, so a bit more civilization.

Has anyone done either (or both!) cruises? Recommendations, advice, opinions all appreciated!!!!

I did a Lindblad itinerary that was very similar to Silversea's, and it was phenomenal. Given the choice between the two, I'd go with Silversea.

Qaanaq is a great spot. The Greenland mummies were found nearby, and you can hike to an overlook of the ice cap after a kind of sporty wet landing. We did not land on Bylot island because of polar bears - but watching the bears was a real treat. If the community at Pond Inlet puts on a show for you, GO! And, yes, you want to take a look at their library. Coburg Island -- MUSK OXEN! So cool to peek over a ridge and see them. Sisimut - yes, you want to stop in at their version of a senior center and dance. Great people. And you are in the area of the Franklin Expedition, the history is just great.

Neither the Canadians nor the Greenlanders haggle. Just make sure you can legally bring an item back to your home (no whale or seal if you live in the US), and you'll get a better price on items if you have the proper currency. This isn't as big of a deal in the larger towns like Sisimiut and Illulisat as it is in the smaller places like Pond Inlet and Qaanaq. Obviously, the Canadians speak English, most of the Greenlanders do, too.

I love the high arctic. I'd go back in a heart beat.

Note, I think the only "easy" way to Kangerluusuaq is through Reykjavik. Whether your cruise officially starts there or not, you'll transit through Iceland.