NCL vs RCCL

doones2

Just checked prices for cruises to Bermuda out of Boston in September. A balcony guarantee on the Dawn is $3144 and a balcony where I choose the cabin on Serenade of the Seas is $2332. Why is there such a huge discrepancy? I believe the ships are similar

I personally have had terrible luck with RCL cruise ships and I haven't met a NCL ship that I haven't enjoyed. I find the RCL to be lacking in things to do, the food not as good, and the ships have a crowded feel. They also struggle with large group organization situations (ie excursions, muster drills, and activities). Just my opinion....I think ultimately it is what you prefer in a cruise line.

I have done a Bermuda cruise with NCL on the old Majesty from Boston back in 2003, and have sailed on the Dawn in the Caribbean before it was done over, so I'm not sure what "bells and whistles" it has now. I have also sailed on RCCL Serenade of the Seas in the Caribbean and it was one of my favorite ships. Personally, I prefer RC over NCL...I think the entertainment is top-notch, especially on their large ships. It looks like you have experienced both cruise lines so you know what you like, I would only say that I would never book a guarantee and always choose my cabin for location. Before I knew better, I ended up in some lousy spots...........Patti

First off, it doesn't appear you can find the two cruises sailing the exact same weekend so you're not comparing apples to apples from a time frame and demand point of view.

Second, it seems you're pricing RCCL "non-refundalble" deposit rate compared to NCL "guaranteed rate". You're not comparing similar rates for the two ships.

Comparing the two sailings closest together to get the same time frame (September 2018) and using NCL's guaranteed rate compared to RCCL's regular sailing rate (not the non-refundable deposit rate or the current "bogo half price rate", then you get $3145 and $3285. Only $140 difference.

Now sure, you can do the non-refundable deposit rate and save $1000 dollars but you are committing $500 that you will not get back if you have to cancel for some reason and a lot of people are never going to want to book that type of rate.

Just checked prices for cruises to Bermuda out of Boston in September. A balcony guarantee on the Dawn is $3144 and a balcony where I choose the cabin on Serenade of the Seas is $2332. Why is there such a huge discrepancy? I believe the ships are similar

I can't really comment on the price. If I were doing Bermuda, I would sail out of New York on the Norwegian Escape. Better ship with an itinerary that has you in port during Harbor Nights.

Over the past 7 months, we have done 2 RCL cruises followed by 1 NCL cruise. It was amazing at how much better the service was on the NCL ship. It was like night and day on how much better our experience was on the NCL ship.

Our RCL crew in March were generally the unhappiest crew we have ever experienced. At times, just totally unpleasant to be around. At one point, we actually had a maitre d at one of the RCL specialty restaurants come to our table in the middle of dinner and lecture us on how his host incorrectly booked our reservation and how, in the future, we should ensure that the booking is made correctly so it doesn't mess up their seating. Seriously??? This was one instance which was repeated over and over during our 7 day cruise. We take 5-6 cruises a year, and that was one ship we were happy to get off of.

First off, it doesn't appear you can find the two cruises sailing the exact same weekend so you're not comparing apples to apples from a time frame and demand point of view.

Second, it seems you're pricing RCCL "non-refundalble" deposit rate compared to NCL "guaranteed rate". You're not comparing similar rates for the two ships.

Comparing the two sailings closest together to get the same time frame (September 2018) and using NCL's guaranteed rate compared to RCCL's regular sailing rate (not the non-refundable deposit rate or the current "bogo half price rate", then you get $3145 and $3285. Only $140 difference.

Now sure, you can do the non-refundable deposit rate and save $1000 dollars but you are committing $500 that you will not get back if you have to cancel for some reason and a lot of people are never going to want to book that type of rate.

We always take travel insurance, so the non refundable is not an issue. So the price for insurance would be more on the Dawn. I have sailed both cruise lines and I think they are similar. That’s why I questioned the price difference. The NCL pricing was without perks. Almost a $1000 is a big difference

We always take travel insurance, so the non refundable is not an issue. So the price for insurance would be more on the Dawn. I have sailed both cruise lines and I think they are similar. That’s why I questioned the price difference. The NCL pricing was without perks. Almost a $1000 is a big difference

I insurance cover a non refundable deposit when you agree up front to it being non refundable?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, that's an interesting take on it. I never thought of travel insurance being able to cover the non-refundable portion of the deposit, and I'd double check to make sure it did. But I suspect you are right. It is probably treated like any other non-refundable cost if you cancel for a reason covered by the policy. Thanks for bringing that up.

I am having trouble understanding that much difference. I am not questing you, but something does not make sense. I still am guessing NCL is with some perks. As for insurance, it is fineto always take it, but it rarely covers everything.

BTW: I just checked NCL pricing and yes, without tax and port charges the balc cabins do start at $1300 plus per guest, but reading on, I am pretty sure it is "free at sea" pricing. If I were you I would call NCL not depend on what you are reading.

Edited by newmexicoNita

That is a big $ difference . Most (most not on NCL board ;p ) would give the edge to RC prices being the same . With a big difference like this, even more so .

Oh, that's an interesting take on it. I never thought of travel insurance being able to cover the non-refundable portion of the deposit, and I'd double check to make sure it did. But I suspect you are right. It is probably treated like any other non-refundable cost if you cancel for a reason covered by the policy. Thanks for bringing that up.

I know the insurance pays for it because we had to cancel last October because my husband became very ill and our trip insurance paid for the down payment on the cruise and our non refundable flight. We never travel without insurance and it’s certainly worth it

That is a big $ difference . Most (most not on NCL board ;p ) would give the edge to RC prices being the same . With a big difference like this, even more so .

and most on this board would give the edge to NCL> This goes without saying. Our grand daughter and her husband just finished their 2nd RCI cruise, after 2 on NCL. they much prefer NCL.

You are right about the difference; if indeed there is that much difference, based on identical itineraries and dates, go with the less expensive

As mentioned above you are not comparing the same weeks.

Check RCI for the week of September 16th. It's almost $4000 for a balcony. I believe from the numbers you are comparing September 7th NCL to RCI September 23rd.

Bill

As mentioned above you are not comparing the same weeks.

Check RCI for the week of September 16th. It's almost $4000 for a balcony. I believe from the numbers you are comparing September 7th NCL to RCI September 23rd.

Bill

and by Sept 23rd the weather will be getting on the cool side, so it will be the beginning of the slower period. I sorta figured there must be a reason. Two similar class ships, same sailing dates are never going to vary that much.

and by Sept 23rd the weather will be getting on the cool side, so it will be the beginning of the slower period. I sorta figured there must be a reason. Two similar class ships, same sailing dates are never going to vary that much.
It is more golf weather than swimming by that time. Water is too cold.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app