Several Port Liberty Questions

teacherman

We are taking a family cruise on AOS, June 29, from Port Liberty. Can someone help me with:

1. In doing the on-line check in, I have been asked to download a photo for each of us. I have never been asked this before. Is this necessary or will they take our picture at check in? Also, I have always printed 1 boarding pass for the reservation. Now, it seems to want 1 for each person. Is this correct?

2. I am told our key cards will be waiting outside our room doors. Is this for real, as I have always been handed the cards after I present my credit card for on board accounts.

3. We (6 adults and 2 small children) are flying into EWR on Thursday, June 28, arriving at 2:00 pm. Dial 7 has quoted me approximately $235 for a large van to take us from EWR to Courtyard Marriott at Jersey City Newport. Is that the best way for us to do it (considering pick up at EWR) or would it be just as easy to take a couple of UBERS?

4. What would be best/easiest way for all of us to get from hotel to ship, and then ship to EWR when we return? Taxi, UBER, or schedule a car service? Our flight is at 2:45 pm.

We have done many cruises, but never from Cape Liberty, so any info/advice is welcome. Thank you.

How young are the children and will you have car seats? I’ve always found that 2 smaller vehicles is cheaper than 1 larger one for our family of 7. We once hired a large van to take us to the airport, 10 miles away, and we had to bring boosters for our 5 year olds.

We are taking a family cruise on AOS, June 29, from Port Liberty. Can someone help me with:

1. In doing the on-line check in, I have been asked to download a photo for each of us. I have never been asked this before. Is this necessary or will they take our picture at check in? Also, I have always printed 1 boarding pass for the reservation. Now, it seems to want 1 for each person. Is this correct?

2. I am told our key cards will be waiting outside our room doors. Is this for real, as I have always been handed the cards after I present my credit card for on board accounts.

They'll take your pictures at check in. It takes about 10 seconds. Even if you upload your pictures ahead of time, they might take a new picture at check in.

There is one boarding pass per person on Anthem because they don't hand you your key cards at check in. One should be on the door and the others should be in the cabin. This has worked fine for us on a couple of Anthem sayings. However, on one of the early Quantum sailings, our key card was on the next door over and the other keys were in the wrong cabins.

Hi Don and Sue!

It sounds like the check in procedures at Cape Liberty have been changed for Adventure. We won't know exactly how they work until Adventure does her first embarkation on May 11. From what you said, it sounds like they will be very similar to the Anthem procedures.

Absolutely don't worry about the pictures for 8 people. It's not worth your time when it takes a few seconds for them to capture a suitable photo during checkin.

You should plan to use Uber with a taxi as the backup option. It will be a lot less than $235!! How much luggage will your group have? That could be an issue if you're bringing a lot of stuff. You're not under any time constraints on any legs of your trip.

Have the grandkids been to NYC before? We were in NYC last 4th of July weekend with our three GDG's 3, 8, and 11. They particularly enjoyed the walk up Broadway from Herald Square to Times Square and then playing in a kids area in Times Square. It would be easy to take PATH to Herald Square to do this. Macy's offers a lot of casual dining options for your group - https://www.visitmacysusa.com/new-york-city. IMO I wouldn't waste valuable NYC time on fine dining. You will have a week of fancier dining on Adventure.

If they want to see the SOL, you can take the #1, R or W train to South Ferry and walk back to the 911 Memorial (open until 9 pm). PATH is right there to go back to Newport on the Hoboken train. You might want to reverse this trip if you want to see Times Square at night.

• 4 weeks later...