Excursion Choices

dinkydee718

In the process of booking shore excursions for August Alaska cruise and was looking for some feedback from those of you who have "been there, done that."

Have four children who will then be ages 7, 12, 14 and 15. Here is what I am thinking of booking (no easy task since I need to satisfy both a 7 year old brain and a 15 year old brain). Have any of you done any of these with kids and were you, and they, happy? If not, any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has Ketchikan suggestions that would be great too! Not into crab catching (or anything sea food related). ty!

Juneau - Mendanhall Glacier and Whale watching excursion

Skagway - Gold panning and sled dogs at Klondike Gold Fields, followed by an experience going into their 40 degree below chamber.

Ketchikan - still no idea!

Victoria, BC - Tea at the Empress

There are a number of family reports posted in the trip report lists above. Have a read thru them to get some ideas on what worked ( or didn't ). Usually the first line indicates the date, ship, itinerary and who travelled.

It would help to see your port times.

In Skagway you could rent a car for the day and drive to the Yukon and Emerald Lake, stopping wherever you like, including sled dogs. But first, visit the Goldrush and Yukon museum to get an understanding of the area's interesting history. On the way out of town stop at the Goldrush Cemetary where you will also find a short hike to Lower Reid Falls. You'll need passports or appropriate documentation for driving into Canada and the US

In Juneau is your vendor dropping you off at Mendenhall after whale watching? You can spend an hr or 2 there and easily walk to Nuggett Falls. Call for a taxi about 20 minutes before you're ready to return.

In Ketchikan rent a car or take the city bus for $2 out to Totem Bight. The totems are fascinating plus it's a beautiful waterfront location with rain forest trails. Pick up free map for a tour of the town .... boardwalk, married mans trail, fish ladder, etc. Or there's a map in the town web site:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/

Or if you want an excursion, the kids would probably enjoy Ride the Ducks.

Victoria ... walk from the ship to the Inner Harbor. At the halfway point (10 minutes) you'll come to the Fishermans Wharf, with vendors, restaurants, seals, eagles, floating homes. http://fishermanswharfvictoria.com/page/index

It would help to see your port times.

Juneau 2:00pm-10:00pm

Skagway 7:00am-8:15pm

Kethchikan 6:00am-1:30pm

Victoria, BC 6:00pm-11:59pm

Realized we arrive too late for Tea at the Empress :(

Great ideas, thank you!

with your late port time in Juneau, stopping at Mendenhall after whale watching would be ideal. The Visitor Center closes at 7ish but the trails are open until midnight and you'll have daylight.

There is info on Mendenhall transportation options and a map in this link:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

Your Ketchikan time is pretty limited. Realistically by the time you gather everyone together and have b'fast you'll probably only have a few hrs.

In Victoria with same arrival an departure time as yours we went via cruise ship excursion to Buchard gardens with 12&17 year olds. They both liked it very much and said it was one of their favorite experience on a cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

loved the ketchikan lumberjack show! great family entertainment. i haven't tried it yet but heard great things about the ketchikan duck tour.

i'm not a big garden fan but butcharts is different. depending on when in august you go, sunset is 8-9pm. if you are there on a saturday, there is a great fireworks show. most days have a free concert too. the whole family can ride the carousel--it goes surprisingly fast! bring or buy a picnic and the gelato is yummy!

Juneau - Mendanhall Glacier and Whale watching excursion

My kids enjoyed whale watching at 15/18/21 years old, but they are very nature oriented. Do your kids have an interest in seeing whales?

Skagway - Gold panning and sled dogs at Klondike Gold Fields, followed by an experience going into their 40 degree below chamber.

We did this when my kids were 12/15/18 years. They loved the puppies! The gold panning is kind of corny, but they were young enough to enjoy it.

One trip we hiked to Yakutania Point and Smugglers Cove. Last year we drove into the Yukon and stopped at the "desert" and at Caribou Crossing. They enjoyed that more than the Klondike Gold Fields.

Ketchikan - still no idea!

Our favorite here is Orcas Cove Kayaking with Southeast Seas Kayaks, but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for your youngest.

Victoria, BC - Tea at the Empress

I've done this, but I wouldn't do it with kids.

Juneau 2:00pm-10:00pm

Skagway 7:00am-8:15pm

Kethchikan 6:00am-1:30pm

Victoria, BC 6:00pm-11:59pm

Realized we arrive too late for Tea at the Empress :(

Great ideas, thank you!

Although it is too late for the OP, use these port times as a warning to others who may read this. You need to check your port times before you book a cruise. The OP has 3 ports in AK. On 2 of the 3 ports, the OP has 1/2 day in port. This severely restricts their tours opportunities.

DON