Maybe I could get some input from some of the Cruisers with more experience than me?

We are cruising on Jewel of the Seas in October. We have booked a small group tour out of the Naples port. It is a full day, with stops in Pompeii, then onto the Amalfi coast, lunch, etc. We are to be picked up at ship 30 min. after docking and returned by 5:00 pm.

Here’s were I am getting nervous. The ship sails at 6:00pm. I have addressed this with the tour operator and have been assured that this is in plenty of time.

This company - World Tours- is booked thru TripAdvisor and gets very high praise.

Should we be concerned?

Deb

We are cruising on Jewel of the Seas in October. We have booked a small group tour out of the Naples port. It is a full day, with stops in Pompeii, then onto the Amalfi coast, lunch, etc. We are to be picked up at ship 30 min. after docking and returned by 5:00 pm.

Here’s were I am getting nervous. The ship sails at 6:00pm. I have addressed this with the tour operator and have been assured that this is in plenty of time.

This company - World Tours- is booked thru TripAdvisor and gets very high praise.

Should we be concerned?

Deb

Deb, we did something similar in reverse order-returned in plenty of time-but just a heads up-we missed SO much at Pompeii-they don’t give you nearly enough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tink, that would give me pause. I have not inconsiderable experience traveling in that area, and there are so many possible things that could mess with your schedule. Sometimes you have to compromise and do fewer things, and have something to anticipate NEXT time.

If you decide to do it anyway, take your passports with you, and keep them on your body in an under-the-clothes waist belt. Naples is particularly bad for pickpockets.

Depending on your particular interests, I would do EITHER Pompeii and the immediate area (maybe Herculaneum, too) OR the Amalfi coast. I wouldn't do both from a cruise ship that ports in Naples.

If you do Pompeii, also go to the National Archaeological Museum in Naples - that's where they exhibit everything that they removed form the site. :) Pay extra to go into the "adults only" room. ;) (I don't know if there is still a charge)

Thank you all! I think we will cancel and do something safer. My apprehension is increased because I encouraged others on our roll call to join us before realizing the time of return. I have always had the fear of missing the ships departure. We have always played it safe and gone on the ships excursions, but felt like we were settling on some of them, because of worry.

We have done this tour and it has been perfectly fine. Remember the tour guides have done this hundreds of time with cruisers. I did this in 2005 and since then others have done a similar tour with no problems. The tour guides have people at the port that would alert them in case anything changes.

I say go for it! I would much rather go with a private driver than with the cruiseline on a bus with 55 people (did it once in Tuscany, never again).

I would be too worried about something going wrong. But if you book with royal they would not leave without you.

That’s very misleading. They’ll make sure you’ll rejoin the ship at their expense, but it does not mean they won’t leave without you, unlikely as it may.

I did this exact tour with Viator a year ago. It was a fabulous tour, and Viator guarantees to get you back to the ship. They will adjust the tour schedule if traffic gets hung up. Read the fine print or email the tour operator. I know the Viator and SEG (Shore Excursions Group, that partners with Costco Travel) both guarantee. If you do miss the ship, they provide transportation and lodging for the next port.

When we stopped in Pompei, our tour included a guide. We had lunch on the Amalfi Coast, and stopped at the limocello factory, which was really fun! A 40 minute stop in either Positano or Sorrento was also included, so we had gelato and sat on the steps in the square.

Great day!