House wine and beer question

MICHE99

I’ve been searching these boards and I’m finding quite a bit of info on the SS beverage package but I’ve yet to find examples of the house selections. I understand that they might very well differ from cruise to cruise and even day to day but it would be very helpful to see examples. Does anyone remember or is there anyone on board now that can assist? Thanks in advance.

We were on the Viking Star in January and purchased the Silver Spirts Package, to me it was a good deal. The wine list appears to change from what I read on CC. I am enclosing the beer list that was on the Viking Star

beer.jpg.5e5782ce52f0aab411dc6e82d9159a6c.jpg

We were on the Viking Star in January and purchased the Silver Spirts Package, to me it was a good deal. The wine list appears to change from what I read on CC. I am enclosing the beer list that was on the Viking Star

Thanks. These are the beers on the Silver Spirits package though correct? I’m curious about what wine and beers are included without the upgraded package.

Thanks. These are the beers on the Silver Spirits package though correct? I’m curious about what wine and beers are included without the upgraded package.
Beers: choice of a dark beer (not a porter or stout, though) or a lager. German I think, and they tasted fine. Wines varied from day to day. Pinot grigio, cabernet, tempranillo, etc., from Chile, France, Spain, etc. We are not picky about what we drink if it's complementary haha so it was all good for us. If you're on the fence about whether you'd get your use out of the beverage package, why not try the included options on day one and talk to the bartenders and see if it's reasonable for you? If not you can always purchase Silver Spirits then.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

The included wines changed so frequently that I didn’t keep track. We were offered a choice of “red” or “white.” I found nearly all of them pretty mediocre, but we’re not big imbibers so didn’t get the drinks package. From what I saw of the “premium” wines (which included budget stuff like Gnarly Head), a true wine lover will probably want to buy their own bottles on shore.

The included wines changed so frequently that I didn’t keep track. We were offered a choice of “red” or “white.” I found nearly all of them pretty mediocre, but we’re not big imbibers so didn’t get the drinks package. From what I saw of the “premium” wines (which included budget stuff like Gnarly Head), a true wine lover will probably want to buy their own bottles on shore.
I think that suggestion is right on the money, particularly since Viking allows outside wines and beers to be brought onboard and charges no corkage fees. I can guarantee that the wine/beer you find in port is far more interesting than what they offer.

I think that suggestion is right on the money, particularly since Viking allows outside wines and beers to be brought onboard and charges no corkage fees. I can guarantee that the wine/beer you find in port is far more interesting than what they offer.

We're on a SE Asia cruise next year and from past experiences I think that the Silver Sprits package will be good value. Wines are expensive and not always easy to find vendors.

We're on a SE Asia cruise next year and from past experiences I think that the Silver Sprits package will be good value. Wines are expensive and not always easy to find vendors.
For your cruise itinerary, I wouldn't think twice about getting the Silver Spirits package!! We were lucky enough to sail from Spain to France to Portugal to England and more so getting good quality wines and beers at a good price was a walk in the park for us. I can't claim the same for you in Asia so I understand your interest.

We brought wines on board when we sailed in Europe....always do regardless of cruise line but the beauty of Viking is no corkage fee!

Similar to Asia availability concerns would be our Amazon itinerary. somehow I just don’t think the offerings will be quite the same as Europe, or even many North/South American port’s. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with the mediocre wine offerings. I looked online at the recent SS offerings. They average $11-$15/bottle in the stores. So no, not very good wines at all, but based on itinerary it could be the decision maker!

The old "if a wine is expensive it must be good" trick.

A moderately priced bottle can be just as satisfying to the average wine drinker. Otherwise don't insult the tastes of other people.

If you live for wine then by all means go for it.

Enjoy your cruising days.

A moderately priced bottle can be just as satisfying to the average wine drinker. Otherwise don't insult the tastes of other people.

We mostly drink moderately priced wines at home and enjoy them. But I sure wouldn’t pay a premium price for them.

From what I could tell, the Silver Spirits package makes the most financial sense if you enjoy liquor and cocktails rather than wine. We had a very talented and creative bartender in the Explorer’s Lounge. His Negronis were to die for.

We mostly drink moderately priced wines at home and enjoy them. But I sure wouldn’t pay a premium price for them.

From what I could tell, the Silver Spirits package makes the most financial sense if you enjoy liquor and cocktails rather than wine. We had a very talented and creative bartender in the Explorer’s Lounge. His Negronis were to die for.

I agree. I too drink moderately priced wines but I like finding the $15-20 category of my favorites on sale. Very rarely pay more than $15 but this list is not in that mid price range IMHO and I feel that a wine drinker is overpaying for the SS package. We do like a nice cocktail but generally just one before dinner. And the Negroni reference certainly made my ears perk up. Still need to do the math. A la carte is still an option.

We actually find most of the included wines to be just fine. Some are not that great. We also have an occasional cocktail. For us, it was not worth getting the SS package.

We actually find most of the included wines to be just fine. Some are not that great. We also have an occasional cocktail. For us, it was not worth getting the SS package.

My experience as well is that SS price is way more than my $50 cruise bar bill.. Viking a la carte prices are reasonable enough such that if you don't greatly exceed medical recommended max amounts of booze, you'll do fine with included beer and wine plus the occasional cocktail or two. OK, I gotta admit I drink more wine than recommended, but just for the cruise.

We more often than not drink moderately priced wines....we have a good selection of premium wines for those more special occasions. We have our favorites in the ‘moderate’ range and enjoy experimenting with new finds in that range. We are spoiled with where we live and enjoy sampling wines at the many wineries in our area.....and consider it a big bonus when we find a moderate price on good offerings.

In my opinion, the SS Premium wines are not premium. From our experience the included wines on Rivers were superior to that on Oceans. I don’t think that is an insulting statement towards others. Just an opinion.

Enjoy your cruising as well. ;)

I agree! My husband and I both worked for an importer and distributor of wine. We have tasted everything from plonk to VERY expensive. I go by taste, not price. If I like the taste, I don't care about the price - but I'm not buying the really expensive stuff to have with hamburgers on the grill on a Saturday night ;p

We usually spend between $10 and $20 for a bottle of every day wine, and between $20 and $30 for occasions. We have vintners and types of wine we like and that's what we go for. We found the include wines on our Viking cruises to be drinkable to quite nice. We got the Silver Spirits package on our ocean cruise because we like other mixed drinks on ocean cruises - different atmosphere.

On the river cruise we were fine with the included. The white was usually a Sauvignon Blanc, which is my preference unless something less common like a Viognier or a blend is available. My husband was happy with the red - which I think was a Malbec.

There was a different wine each night for our ocean cruise, but like I said, we got the Silver Spirits so we had a list of wines to choose from. There were nights we chose the included wine.

The ship is supplied by local contractors at the departure port, so the selections will be different depending on where you are. I believe the included pilsner on a trip from Bergen was Carlsberg. I doubt that is what you would get on a departure from Miami or Athens.

Just returned from cruising on Viking Sea. The included white wines changed with each port - some French, Spanish, Chilean - on the whole enjoyable. My sister drank red wine and these were a bit "hit and miss" - a couple were undrinkable.

There was plenty to drink at mealtimes and for us the SS package would not have been worth it as we are not big drinkers.

• 1 month later...

I contacted Viking about the wine option on their ocean cruises. I asked because I tried a river cruise on the Rhine with Viking and the one thing that really disappointed me was that my only choice for red wine was a cheap Malbec from Australia. I'm not a big fan of Malbec but I was expecting local wines to be served on board to compliment the regions we were passing through or at least have more than one choice. I actually went to a wine store in Germany to purchase wines from regions we were experiencing to compliment the experience since I got tired of the same Malbec for lunch and dinner. I go on ocean cruises a lot and have considered going on a Viking ocean cruise, which is a lot more expensive than what I am used to (Celebrity); however, I can't justify the price when I can get a perk (beverage package) for free with an extensive selection of different red wines from various regions on Celebrity whereas on Viking, you only get one crappy red. It is ridiculous that their "all-inclusive" doesn't include what their luxury price should reflect. Here is what I received from Viking: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8aRUaKJ4Tj0R0d4UUlkMkVLTVAzc2Q2bW1qejBhY3NudGxj

Completely agree about the Rhine Malbec. My wife didn't like it. There needs to be an alternative or at least a daily switch of offered wines. She doesn't drink anywhere near enough, nor do I to make the Silver Spirits package viable. Wrote complaint to Viking on the cruise survey.

I contacted Viking about the wine option on their ocean cruises. I asked because I tried a river cruise on the Rhine with Viking and the one thing that really disappointed me was that my only choice for red wine was a cheap Malbec from Australia. I'm not a big fan of Malbec but I was expecting local wines to be served on board to compliment the regions we were passing through or at least have more than one choice. I actually went to a wine store in Germany to purchase wines from regions we were experiencing to compliment the experience since I got tired of the same Malbec for lunch and dinner. I go on ocean cruises a lot and have considered going on a Viking ocean cruise, which is a lot more expensive than what I am used to (Celebrity); however, I can't justify the price when I can get a perk (beverage package) for free with an extensive selection of different red wines from various regions on Celebrity whereas on Viking, you only get one crappy red. It is ridiculous that their "all-inclusive" doesn't include what their luxury price should reflect. Here is what I received from Viking: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8aRUaKJ4Tj0R0d4UUlkMkVLTVAzc2Q2bW1qejBhY3NudGxj

I know what you mean about that one Malbec served on the Viking river cruise though to be fair, in the three river cruises we've taken, only one of them (oddly enough the most expensive one) offered us that not-so-loveable Malbec day after day! The other two cruises rotated the wines and the choices were perfectly acceptable to us.

The situation is different on Viking Oceans in that the wines definitely change daily so you will not be stuck with same all the time. But if you want to talk about ridiculous, I think that it is ridiculous that Celebrity charges $69/day for their premium beverage package which is the only one worth taking. Yes, I know you often get a beverage package on X as a perk, but to get decent wines and cocktails you must upgrade...and you know what? The cost of the upgrade per day is not far off from what Viking charges per day for their Silver Spirits package. Just sayin. ;)

I know what you mean about that one Malbec served on the Viking river cruise though to be fair, in the three river cruises we've taken, only one of them (oddly enough the most expensive one) offered us that not-so-loveable Malbec day after day! The other two cruises rotated the wines and the choices were perfectly acceptable to us.

The situation is different on Viking Oceans in that the wines definitely change daily so you will not be stuck with same all the time. But if you want to talk about ridiculous, I think that it is ridiculous that Celebrity charges $69/day for their premium beverage package which is the only one worth taking. Yes, I know you often get a beverage package on X as a perk, but to get decent wines and cocktails you must upgrade...and you know what? The cost of the upgrade per day is not far off from what Viking charges per day for their Silver Spirits package. Just sayin. ;)

The price of SS on 14 nights cruise is $39.85 per day for two.

If each person has a beer at lunch and a couple of glasses of wine at dinner it’s already $34.00 and I’m not talking about some cocktails, soda, after dinner drinks, etc. We found wine offerings on Star are much better than last year (SS)

The price of SS on 14 nights cruise is $39.85 per day for two.

If each person has a beer at lunch and a couple of glasses of wine at dinner it’s already $34.00 and I’m not talking about some cocktails, soda, after dinner drinks, etc. We found wine offerings on Star are much better than last year (SS)

Agree! We've gotten the SS package and it's very reasonable for what they offer. We drink beer in the day and the bar list has selections that please my husband and he's fairly picky about his beer. As for wine, we had no quibbles about the selections. I wish I'd photographed the offerings so people could see, though. Would have been helpful for the discussion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app