Problems with CruiseCare Travel Insurance

djtodd105

The problem with this approach is that it leaves out the concept of “adequate” for me.

Many assume the cruise line/at offering is adequate...which I questioned. The first step is to understand what YOU need...and then you can decide which policy best meets your needs.

Value does not equate to least expensive....nor does higher price always mean more value.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I could't agree more!

Actually, the earlier Cut & Paste snippet is for the Chase Sapphire Reserve trip cancellation/interruption insurance, not emergency medical.

Here's the link to the emergency medical

https://www.chase.com/content/chasecom/en/card-benefits/benefit-details/Sapphire_Reserve/sapphire-emergency-medical-dental.html

I want to point out that $2,500 limit isn't a whole lot of medical if you need to be evacuated via air (or land in US) and it doesn't actually state it covers emergency evacuation. It is also a secondary policy. Nor does it cover the spouse/travel partner's hotel or transportation ancillary costs who is presumably accompanying the patient. Most independent travel insurance & annual travel medical insurance will cover some of the above with a higher limit.

Insurance is really in the details. I personally look to "travel insurance" for the out of country medical insurance & emergency evacuation as medical is really the portion which would be a high financial loss if I needed to use it on the average cruise. It is also nice if they can cover a one way business class ticket for the patient to home, but may not be mandatory if you have miles/points/airline status. I can self-insure much of the other trip interruption, lost/stolen luggage, and etc when I'm vacationing through Europe, Caribbean, Alaska, & the like. I would probably look into more comprehensive travel insurance for expensive vacations, "exotic" destinations where hospitals are not near or very poor quality, and "once in a lifetime" trips.

Who’s Covered

• Cardholder
  • Cardholder’s spouse or domestic partner or legally dependent children under 18 years old (25 if enrolled as a full-time student at an accredited institution)

Coverage Amount

• $2,500 (subject to a $50 deductible)
  • $75 per day for hotel convalescence, up to five days (if ordered by the attending physician before returning home)

Also want to add that CSR trip interruption insurance would probably not have covered the cost of a return ticket in the case of Sun Country Airlines deciding to cancel the last flight of the season and strand customers in Mexico. There wasn't a delay as they did not offer to re-accommodate. Again, some independent travel insurance policies may cover getting you home (that last minute one way ticket) if you're stranded by a common carrier. Edited by travelpeon

My husband has recently developed a stomach issue, probably an ulcer. I have cruise care. If I cancel for this do you think I'll get a full refund or just the 75% towards a future cruise? My husband is sure we won't get a full refunds as most insurance companies don't want to pay out.

Edited by HardyVA
Want to delete

My husband has recently developed a stomach issue, probably an ulcer. I have cruise care. If I cancel for this do you think I'll get a full refund or just the 75% towards a future cruise? My husband is sure we won't get a full refunds as most insurance companies don't want to pay out.

Don't ask (or believe any answer) from this forum....contact the insurance company. They will want all kinds of proof that the condition requires the cancellation of the trip (if you want 100%) or, if you just cancel, then it doesn't matter the reason...you get the cancellation amount.

Be sure to document everything in writing...and be sure to contact both the insurance company and celebrity because I believe the cruise credit is separate from the actual insurance policy.

Best of luck to your husband...and best of luck to you in your ventures into Travel Insurance claims.

• 3 years later...

Have a Celebrity Cruise book for 3/22 and was notified of an itinerary change. 

Celebrity Cruises cancelled my reservation, in order to change it to a date one week earlier.

I had already purchased Cruise Care insurance and contacted them to switch the date on

my insurance.  They were uncooperative so I contacted the cruise line to see if they would assist me.

Months later, after phone calls and emails, no one from Cruise Care had contacted me.  The cruise line has reached out to them to contact me, a few times, without success.   I am disappointed that Celebrity Cruises has no influence on the insurance company they promote on their website.

21 minutes ago, rickltz said:

Have a Celebrity Cruise book for 3/22 and was notified of an itinerary change. 

Celebrity Cruises cancelled my reservation, in order to change it to a date one week earlier.

I had already purchased Cruise Care insurance and contacted them to switch the date on

my insurance.  They were uncooperative so I contacted the cruise line to see if they would assist me.

Months later, after phone calls and emails, no one from Cruise Care had contacted me.  The cruise line has reached out to them to contact me, a few times, without success.   I am disappointed that Celebrity Cruises has no influence on the insurance company they promote on their website.

I don't understand the problem.  If you added Celebrity's Vacation Protection Plan the insurance would go with the booking so if the date of the booking changed you would still have the insurance on the new booking.  If you purchased insurance independent of Celebrity the you are correct, Celebrity has no influence on the independent insurance company.