Purchasing travel insurance after full payment

reerun25

Are you able to purchase travel insurance through Carnival after final payment date? I see the option in my cruise details to add it, I just thought I would check and see if anyone has ever done that, purchased insurance after final payment, and about 50 days out to sailing.

Well, for cancel for any reason for $119 through Carnival sounds pretty cheap, but I guess I will check around.

Granted I get mine ahead but FWIW it cost my family of 4 around $140 to cover our vacations and I always value them at around $10,000 - So if you're only insuring the cruise and nothing else, it should be much less than that.

Are you able to purchase travel insurance through Carnival after final payment date? I see the option in my cruise details to add it, I just thought I would check and see if anyone has ever done that, purchased insurance after final payment, and about 50 days out to sailing.

Yes, you could. But there are better policies available at a lower cost than what you can get through Carnival. Many of us use insuremytrip. com. On that site, you can do side-by-side comparisons of several different policies to get the coverage you want, and you can compare the costs of each policy. It pays to shop around to get the best deal for your money.

Do you or your traveling companions have any pre-existing conditions? I'm not sure if you're covered if you purchase after final payment. Most policies require you to purchase within 14-21 days after booking.

Roz

Do you or your traveling companions have any pre-existing conditions? I'm not sure if you're covered if you purchase after final payment. Most policies require you to purchase within 14-21 days after booking.

Roz

This is called the "lookback period" and it varies by insurance policy. I just bought a policy where there was only a 60 day pre-existing period exclusion. We booked last July but since it is over 60 days until the cruise, there won't be any pre-existing condition exclusions for us.

As others said, check the insuremytrip.com for comparison of policies.

I'd be more concerned with something that involves and air transport out, that can run $100,000 depending what's all involved. I just paid $230 a few weeks ago for a cruise we just returned from and it would have covered everything for us for trip interruption to medivac to lost baggage (which we ended up using). I wouldn't just get trip cancellation coverage. Think of the medical side of things.

Our final payment was in March for our June cruise and I just purchased trip insurance but I didn’t do it through Carnival. It would have been $400+ for us that way where as insuremytrip.com got me better coverage for $140.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our final payment was in March for our June cruise and I just purchased trip insurance but I didn’t do it through Carnival. It would have been $400+ for us that way where as insuremytrip.com got me better coverage for $140.

I’ll accept that you saved close to $300 but please explain the “better” coverage.

I know you didn’t get Cancel For Any Reason or Cancel For Job related issues which Carnival does provide. So what was better?

If you want to say, I saved close to $300, that’s okay. If you want to say I got higher medical limits, that’s okay. But, you also gave up some coverage

I’ll accept that you saved close to $300 but please explain the “better” coverage.

I know you didn’t get Cancel For Any Reason or Cancel For Job related issues which Carnival does provide. So what was better?

If you want to say, I saved close to $300, that’s okay. If you want to say I got higher medical limits, that’s okay. But, you also gave up some coverage

The policy that I purchased through a 3rd party does include "Cancel for Work Reasons".

If you get the exact same coverage for less money, it is better coverage.

Anything bought through the cruise line, be it insurance or excursions, is going to cost more than the same bought elsewhere.

The only benefit that wasn’t the same or better was that Carnival’s luggage replacement was up to $1500 and the coverage I bought was $500.4cc9b8b91dc302a1442d80a78e803a42.jpgd7b9f600522376600b941bd5230e8fe3.jpg

The pictures I’ve included shows what most of my benefits are for $140 and what Carnival’s is for $400. My biggest concern wasn’t trip cancellation or luggage replacement but medical coverage and evacuation. May not be optimal for everyone but it definitely is worth it for us.

The only benefit that wasn’t the same or better was that Carnival’s luggage replacement was up to $1500 and the coverage I bought was $500.4cc9b8b91dc302a1442d80a78e803a42.jpgd7b9f600522376600b941bd5230e8fe3.jpg

The pictures I’ve included shows what most of my benefits are for $140 and what Carnival’s is for $400. My biggest concern wasn’t trip cancellation or luggage replacement but medical coverage and evacuation. May not be optimal for everyone but it definitely is worth it for us.

Edit: I misquoted the baggage replacement and the amounts. I meant trip cancellation coverage was different. Sorry about that. I’m still learning the in and outs of trip coverage.

The policy that I purchased through a 3rd party does include "Cancel for Work Reasons".

I’m sorry, did I quote you?

I guarantee you didn’t get Cancel For Any Reason 40 days before the cruise after you bought the cruise a year ago. If you think you have that coverage from a 3rd party, you need to look again.

Edited by klfrodo

But it’s not the exact same coverage. Comparing Apples to Oranges.

Nobody was arguing that is was the same coverage. I stated that for us the different insurer provided better coverage of what we needed at a great price. I was simply telling the OP that checking for a different insurer after final payment might be better option as it was for us.

Carnival Dream 6/2018

Carnival Liberty 4/2016

Carnival Conquest 7/2013

Nobody was arguing that is was the same coverage. I stated that for us the different insurer provided better coverage of what we needed at a great price. I was simply telling the OP that checking for a different insurer after final payment might be better option as it was for us.

That's not what I read.

I read this "

insuremytrip.com got me better coverage for $140". GOT ME BETTER COVERAGE

This "

I don't purchase my insurance from the cruise lines either. But, for people to make blanket statements that 3rd party is better is just flat out misinformation at best.

For most of us, 3rd party insurance better meets our needs and budget, but not always.

3rd party insurance pricing is based on age.

3rd party insurance never includes CFAR, it is an additional rider that you pay for and it MUST be purchased within X number of days. Can't get it last minute.

3rd party CFAR must be declared within 48 hours of departure. Some cruise lines allow CFAR up to sail away.

3rd party CFAR only offers a Future Cruise Credit or refund somewhere between 50% to 90%. Princess Platinum offers 100%

3rd party Job Related cancellation is additional cost. Not so with some cruise line policies.

I was simply telling the OP that checking for a different insurer after final payment might be better option as it was for us." reads completely different and is much closer to the complete truth.

That's not what I read.

I read this "

insuremytrip.com got me better coverage for $140". GOT ME BETTER COVERAGE

This "

I don't purchase my insurance from the cruise lines either. But, for people to make blanket statements that 3rd party is better is just flat out misinformation at best.

For most of us, 3rd party insurance better meets our needs and budget, but not always.

3rd party insurance pricing is based on age.

3rd party insurance never includes CFAR, it is an additional rider that you pay for and it MUST be purchased within X number of days. Can't get it last minute.

3rd party CFAR must be declared within 48 hours of departure. Some cruise lines allow CFAR up to sail away.

3rd party CFAR only offers a Future Cruise Credit or refund somewhere between 50% to 90%. Princess Platinum offers 100%

3rd party Job Related cancellation is additional cost. Not so with some cruise line policies.

I was simply telling the OP that checking for a different insurer after final payment might be better option as it was for us." reads completely different and is much closer to the complete truth.

My bad. I didn’t know I needed a law degree to offer my opinion on a forum.

I’m sorry, did I quote you?

I guarantee you didn’t get Cancel For Any Reason 40 days before the cruise after you bought the cruise a year ago. If you think you have that coverage from a 3rd party, you need to look again.

Oh I'm sorry I thought I was on a public message board I didn't realize it was a private conversation.

Did I say anything about Cancel for any Reason? I specifically bolded and responded to what you wrote about cancelling because of work.

Oh I'm sorry I thought I was on a public message board I didn't realize it was a private conversation.

Did I say anything about Cancel for any Reason? I specifically bolded and responded to what you wrote about cancelling because of work.

Now I understand your user name. ;p