Ship's drinking water

ONT-CA

Probably the purest water available on ship is from the ship itself through their distillation and/or ozmosis processes. I hazard to say it would even surpass the quality of the bottle water sold. For that reason we just fill our reusable water bottles from the cabin taps.

Either by capacity or costs the ship does not supply all of it's water needs. When in port the ship takes on water from the port authority. That is when the noticeable quality differences appear, some most unpleasant. The water is safe as treated but not pleasant tasting. Realizing this, when we have been a day at sea and awake the following morning, the usage of the ship's water supply would have depleted shore water and by then only ship process water should be available. It is then that we fill our reusable water bottles and place them in the fridge for use at the next ports of call. Best water, no expense and no plastic packaging disposal.

Probably the purest water available on ship is from the ship itself through their distillation and/or ozmosis processes. I hazard to say it would even surpass the quality of the bottle water sold. For that reason we just fill our reusable water bottles from the cabin taps.

Either by capacity or costs the ship does not supply all of it's water needs. When in port the ship takes on water from the port authority. That is when the noticeable quality differences appear, some most unpleasant. The water is safe as treated but not pleasant tasting. Realizing this, when we have been a day at sea and awake the following morning, the usage of the ship's water supply would have depleted shore water and by then only ship process water should be available. It is then that we fill our reusable water bottles and place them in the fridge for use at the next ports of call. Best water, no expense and no plastic packaging disposal.

The only thing you'll taste is little chlorine smell . Chlorine is to keep the storage tanks germ free. These tanks also store shore water . In some parts of the world they can't produce water on board , therefore water from shore stored.

The only thing you'll taste is little chlorine smell . Chlorine is to keep the storage tanks germ free. These tanks also store shore water . In some parts of the world they can't produce water on board , therefore water from shore stored.

The mandatory use of chlorine for shore water is part of the problem. But the water the ship produces requires so little of it that it is barely noticeable. The key here is to draw water when the tanks are almost free of shore water and chlorine test indicate little requirement. That we have found to be after a day at sea. On certain cruises we have had to purchase water because of the location, the Amazon being one

Water can also taste different according to its hardness. I think a lot of water on board is very soft.

Regards John

Not only are impurities removed in the process of distillation and osmosis but also minerals. Hence the softness

Not only are impurities removed in the process of distillation and osmosis but also minerals. Hence the softness

Strange. I come from a naturally soft water area, and find that shampoos etc. lather much less on board than at home. I, therefore, assumed that the water on board was hard!

Also, I have never noticed any difference in the water following port days from any other time.

On my only Celebrity Cruise the water was undrinkable, even in tea. Never had that problem on P&O.

I have no worries about the safety of the ship's water and am very happy to drink the water in the restaurants and from the chilled water machines. I have never noticed any difference in the taste of this water after stops in ports.

However, I am a very fussy water drinker and my personal preference is not to drink the water from the bathroom tap, although I am happy to boil it for occasional teas if it is tasting OK.

I simply don't like the taste of water from the bathroom tap and I do tell a difference in taste from water provided elsewhere on ship. It goes a different route to our bathrooms than to the kitchens and water machines, so makes sense that it could have a different taste. I never drink from a bathroom tap anywhere, not even at home. I just hate the idea hygiene wise, so we always buy water on board - usually the 6 pack of 2/2.5 litres for about £10.

One thing I do wonder about, out of interest, is whether the make up of the water onboard has any effect on the feet swelling that many of us suffer from by the end of a cruise? Some say it does? I dunno...

I have no worries about the safety of the ship's water and am very happy to drink the water in the restaurants and from the chilled water machines. I have never noticed any difference in the taste of this water after stops in ports.

However, I am a very fussy water drinker and my personal preference is not to drink the water from the bathroom tap, although I am happy to boil it for occasional teas if it is tasting OK.

I simply don't like the taste of water from the bathroom tap and I do tell a difference in taste from water provided elsewhere on ship. It goes a different route to our bathrooms than to the kitchens and water machines, so makes sense that it could have a different taste. I never drink from a bathroom tap anywhere, not even at home. I just hate the idea hygiene wise, so we always buy water on board - usually the 6 pack of 2/2.5 litres for about £10.

One thing I do wonder about, out of interest, is whether the make up of the water onboard has any effect on the feet swelling that many of us suffer from by the end of a cruise? Some say it does? I dunno...

The only difference between the water in the bathrooms and elsewhere is the temperature at which it is served. If you let the water from the machines in the buffet, or that served in dining rooms, reach room temperature, it tastes the same as that from the bathroom.

As for the swollen ankles, I have had it from good medical personnel, is that it caused by the constant, minute bracing of the muscles due to balancing in a constantly moving environment. Even in port the ship is moving slightly. Plus the effect of long coach/car/air travel.

Think we have to agree to disagree on this one... The taste of water (and indeed anything) is an essentially personal thing. It might well taste the same to a lot of people, but the water from the bathroom tap does not taste the same to me as the water on the table in the restaurant regardless of its temperature.

But I do admit that I am a very fussy water drinker.

Edited by Scriv

We did the 'Behind the Scenes' tour on Ventura in January. Part of that was a trip to the engine control room with the Chief.

He told us that the water in your bathroom taps is exactly the same as in the MDR, buffet etc (apart from temperature).

He also said that it was deliberately hardened otherwise it wouldn't be suitable for drinking.

The only time that I have had an issue was on a Celebrity ship when we had more of the ship's water than normal. Fair enough the food was saltier too! My legs were frighteningly swollen and I have never had that since. We stick to bottled water. Lots of people don't and have the ship's water. I suppose that it is whatever suits.

We did the 'Behind the Scenes' tour on Ventura in January. Part of that was a trip to the engine control room with the Chief.

He told us that the water in your bathroom taps is exactly the same as in the MDR, buffet etc (apart from temperature).

He also said that it was deliberately hardened otherwise it wouldn't be suitable for drinking.

I have absolutely no argument with that .. but I still think that the water's journey to and through the bathroom taps through a different set of pipeways could easily pick up a different taste or tinge along its way, noticeable to very fussy water drinkers like myself.

Indeed I have no argument with anyone as how anything tastes is entirely a matter of personal taste. :)

You are probably right Scriv - I've gone off drinking tap water at home (obviously still use it for cooking, tea, coffee etc).

The taste seems to have changed. No doubt Anglian Water would say nothing has changed but, as you say, it's personal preference.

Think we have to agree to disagree on this one... The taste of water (and indeed anything) is an essentially personal thing. It might well taste the same to a lot of people, but the water from the bathroom tap does not taste the same to me as the water on the table in the restaurant regardless of its temperature.

But I do admit that I am a very fussy water drinker.

I’m with you on this one. I drink lots of water in the restaurants with no problem. I cannot drink the water from the bathroom taps though. Tastes vile to me. I’m OK with it for tea though, once it’s boiled. I assumed that it was fairly soft water as there is never any scale in the kettles.

Its when water from the tap smells of chlorine and like a public swimming pool that I worry -- and that has been from out tap and that of my parents .................... in Stoke on Trent and Wales. Yuk

I suppose all systems to cleanse the water have their pros and cons.