Please recommend a tour company in Dubai & A Dhabi

sjgertz

Thank you Ann. I did get over the link that you attached in your reply to read other input as well. Now, Im having problem of "how" can I move my discussion here to your attached link?

Get back to DuBai. Please tell me whether ending of May is hot hot?

When im in the Mosque, can I wear Capri pant, sleeveless, short sleeves or not? Or I must wear long pant, long sleeves all the time including shopping, sightseeing? Perhaps, long dresses? Please advise Ann.

I hope you do not mind Im asking you this question. I need to apologize first if I am so wrong here.

It is about you as a "tour guide" which you had posted that you are a tour guide to your visitors. Would you mind to do a private tour guide for us? We are 4 adults. First timers to Dubai and excited!

Your kindness & patience in helping to answer so many questions here is so greatly appreciated. Please continue to do this for all the travelers like me. Im looking forward to reading more of your input. Much thanks.

Here’s a link to the company we used which includes a dhow cruise. https://www.getyourguide.co.uk/dubai-l173/dubai-hop-on-hop-off-sightseeing-bus-tour-t49021/?referrer_view_id=413f9e9063514879111fc725d714afb3&referrer_view_position=0

There is another company called big bus tours - here’s a link for them https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/dubai/dubai-hop-on-hop-off-sightseeing-tour_7959

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you Ann. I did get over the link that you attached in your reply to read other input as well. Now, Im having problem of "how" can I move my discussion here to your attached link?

Get back to DuBai. Please tell me whether ending of May is hot hot?

When im in the Mosque, can I wear Capri pant, sleeveless, short sleeves or not? Or I must wear long pant, long sleeves all the time including shopping, sightseeing? Perhaps, long dresses? Please advise Ann.

I hope you do not mind Im asking you this question. I need to apologize first if I am so wrong here.

It is about you as a "tour guide" which you had posted that you are a tour guide to your visitors. Would you mind to do a private tour guide for us? We are 4 adults. First timers to Dubai and excited!

Your kindness & patience in helping to answer so many questions here is so greatly appreciated. Please continue to do this for all the travelers like me. Im looking forward to reading more of your input. Much thanks.

I think the only way to get posts moved, or merge threads, is by asking the moderators to do that by sending them a message via the button marked with a blue triangle at the top right of your posts...

Yes it will be hot, hot at the end of May, already the daytime temperatures are in the high 30’s, low 40’s C and most ships calling at Dubai usually do so in March and April, either in the latter stages of world cruises or repositioning from Asia to Europe for the summer season. I’m surprised that any ship would be calling at the end of May 2019 as it will be during Ramadan and whilst restrictions are much less than they used to be you may still find opening hours of some places may be different to usual and with some food and beverage outlets closed during the daytime..

With regard to clothing, you will need to have arms and legs fully covered to visit mosques and have a long scarf or pashmina with you to cover your head and shoulders. Other than that then short sleeves, capri pants or knee length skirts or dresses are fine for all other sightseeing, shopping, etc..

My tour guide comment was somewhat tongue in cheek as I do have a day job and only play at being a tour guide to friends and family when they are visiting Dubai - most of whom have been here previously so we tend to spend the time doing things other than the popular tourist sites, although there was one winter a couple of years ago when I went up the Burj Khalifa three times in two months!!! I’m sure you will do fine either with a professional guide or even by DIY...

Anne...

Thank you H Grandma for the links to the HOHO and Bus tour. You and SailCo spoke highly of Dubai HoHo, we may use it one day while we aer there.. As of now, we plan to stay 3 nights in Dubai (yay!). We should find time to do HOHO which included the boat ride.

Hi Ann, thank you again for your quick helpful note especially the dress code. I do respect people culture wherever I visit. It is good that I know what to pack, what to wear respectfully.

There are some changes in our date. It was my mistake to say April 2019. Actually it is around May 15. We hope the private tour guide including car + driver (this is our plan) has air conditioning, that would help with the heat.

I was going to ask you some of the hotel names. The link you provided has some posts with hotel names, hotel locations...etc..If you need to add more info. please do so. When I travel, I like the tourist areas, the hotel must be in the central where all conveniently to walk to, especially I am the first timer there.

I appreciate it.

Thank you to H Grandma and Sailco for HoHo tip. I definitely take note to that. Does HOHO have a location for me to go buy their tickets? I appreciate your time and your input.

You can buy the tickets online if you want but it'll be the same price at a bus stop or your hotel in Dubai. When choosing a hotel try to find one with a HOHO stop nearby. You'll be walking enough in the heat as it is so it's nice to have a bus stop close to your hotel.

Hi H Grandma,

Thank you for offering to do the merging the 2 files in one proper location.

I hope Ann can help to spell out the exact name of the link on this subject which previously created, then be merged with my thread here.

In a way, it is a great idea, voiding the duplicates and repeats. Thank you so much again.

You can buy the tickets online if you want but it'll be the same price at a bus stop or your hotel in Dubai. When choosing a hotel try to find one with a HOHO stop nearby. You'll be walking enough in the heat as it is so it's nice to have a bus stop close to your hotel.

Thanks Sailco: I like to stay in the hotel that very central to things. If you can name a few hotels for me which are right at the bus or HoHo stops. That would be great. I thankyou for your help.

When I travel, I like the tourist areas, the hotel must be in the central where all conveniently to walk to, especially I am the first timer there.

I appreciate it.

You have referred to ‘central’ a couple of times. Dubai (and Abu Dhabi, for that matter) doesn’t really work like that - I fear you may be underestimating the sheer size of the place.

Please do not plan on walking very far in May - the heat can be brutal.

I have asked Cruise Critic to do the merge (I can’t because I am not a Host for these ‘destination’ Forums).

Thank you H Grandma. Thank you for being so helpful and involved. Looking forward to more of your input.

You have referred to ‘central’ a couple of times. Dubai (and Abu Dhabi, for that matter) doesn’t really work like that - I fear you may be underestimating the sheer size of the place.

Please do not plan on walking very far in May - the heat can be brutal.

I agree with your comment, since you are there.

Being a first timer visiting Dubai. I have no idea what it would be like. Dubai has been on my bucket list. Unfortunately, the cruise ship I choose to be sailing there, they do Apr-May always in Dubai stop. The past 2 years, their ship sold out fast within 12mos before the sailing date. I was hoping this cruise line would alternately dock Jan-Feb in Dubai. Nope, I guess it is the choice i made. Perhaps I can use the taxis service from point A to point B. I hope they have a mini van taxi. We are 4 adults.

I remember I was in Las Vegas during August. The heat was so unbearable. As soon as I opened the hotel door, I felt that heat wave striked straight onto my face. Immediately I turned around and went back in the hotel. I waited until after 7PM, when the sun was slowly disappeared behind those desert mountains. Then I stepped out of the hotel, I could still feel the heat was in the air. It was around 104F.

I just have to dress respectfully cool.

I agree with your comment, since you are there.

Being a first timer visiting Dubai. I have no idea what it would be like. Dubai has been on my bucket list. Unfortunately, the cruise ship I choose to be sailing there, they do Apr-May always in Dubai stop. The past 2 years, their ship sold out fast within 12mos before the sailing date. I was hoping this cruise line would alternately dock Jan-Feb in Dubai. Nope, I guess it is the choice i made. Perhaps I can use the taxis service from point A to point B. I hope they have a mini van taxi. We are 4 adults.

I remember I was in Las Vegas during August. The heat was so unbearable. As soon as I opened the hotel door, I felt that heat wave striked straight onto my face. Immediately I turned around and went back in the hotel. I waited until after 7PM, when the sun was slowly disappeared behind those desert mountains. Then I stepped out of the hotel, I could still feel the heat was in the air. It was around 104F.

I just have to dress respectfully cool.

As Cotswold Eagle posted Dubai (and Abu Dhabi) do not have traditional city centres and are in fact spread over quite a considerable distance. Dubai has three main areas - Old Dubai, which as the name implies is the original part of the city which was built around the Creek but during time expanded to cover the areas of Deira and Bur Dubai. For reference purposes the airport is located on the outskirts of Deira and the cruise terminal is located in Port Rashid which is the original commercial port and is in Bur Dubai. Then comes New Dubai which is the area from the Dubai World Trade Centre outwards along Sh. Zayed Road towards Jebel Ali and Abu Dhabi and it encompasses the Dubai Mall, Downtown, Business Bay, Mall of the Emirates then outwards to Dubai Marina. The third area includes the beachfront areas of Jumeirah Beach and The Palm and parts of Dubai Marina.... The distance from the airport out to the far reaches of The Palm or Dubai Marina area takes the best part of an hour by car.....

Unless you particularly want a beachfront hotel for your stay then I would recommend looking at hotels along Sh. Zayed Road, or in the Downtown/Business Bay areas as they are easily accessible by public transport (Metro or taxi) and with the Metro, the stations, cross-bridges, etc. all fully air-conditioned, plus readily available taxis (again all air conditioned) you would spend the least time out in the heat getting from place to place. Mid to late May temperatures here will be pretty much the same as you experienced in Las Vegas (I was in Las Vegas in September and it was not as hot as it is here during my visit)... Most of the taxis (they are all beige colour with various coloured roofs which identify the operating company, and are metered so you do not need to negotiate fares) in Dubai are Toyota Camry cars which are licensed to carry 4 passengers however, there are also MPV vehicles for larger families or groups if needed... If you are an Uber user then you can also use Uber here..

Any other questions, queries, clarifications needed, please ask...

Anne...

As Cotswold Eagle posted Dubai (and Abu Dhabi) do not have traditional city centres and are in fact spread over quite a considerable distance. Dubai has three main areas - Old Dubai, which as the name implies is the original part of the city which was built around the Creek but during time expanded to cover the areas of Deira and Bur Dubai. For reference purposes the airport is located on the outskirts of Deira and the cruise terminal is located in Port Rashid which is the original commercial port and is in Bur Dubai. Then comes New Dubai which is the area from the Dubai World Trade Centre outwards along Sh. Zayed Road towards Jebel Ali and Abu Dhabi and it encompasses the Dubai Mall, Downtown, Business Bay, Mall of the Emirates then outwards to Dubai Marina. The third area includes the beachfront areas of Jumeirah Beach and The Palm and parts of Dubai Marina.... The distance from the airport out to the far reaches of The Palm or Dubai Marina area takes the best part of an hour by car.....

Unless you particularly want a beachfront hotel for your stay then I would recommend looking at hotels along Sh. Zayed Road, or in the Downtown/Business Bay areas as they are easily accessible by public transport (Metro or taxi) and with the Metro, the stations, cross-bridges, etc. all fully air-conditioned, plus readily available taxis (again all air conditioned) you would spend the least time out in the heat getting from place to place. Mid to late May temperatures here will be pretty much the same as you experienced in Las Vegas (I was in Las Vegas in September and it was not as hot as it is here during my visit)... Most of the taxis (they are all beige colour with various coloured roofs which identify the operating company, and are metered so you do not need to negotiate fares) in Dubai are Toyota Camry cars which are licensed to carry 4 passengers however, there are also MPV vehicles for larger families or groups if needed... If you are an Uber user then you can also use Uber here..

Any other questions, queries, clarifications needed, please ask...

Anne...

Waking up this morning, and to learn of your new message here. It made me felt like im having a great day today.

I am copying and paste your "hotel notes " here onto my planner page (I carry this along while travel, so I know what to do next). You have no idea how much you are appreciated. Your words are so kind and patience. Such a great contributor to this site.

Actually the ship offers 3-4 nights stay with tour around Dubai and Abu Dhabi. It is apprx. $US1200 pp. The hotel is near to the harbor. I have the name of the hotel which i can google to view its location. Our group is 4 adults, we like to do a little more private, customized tours and just "us". Going with the ship will be on the big bus, things will be definitely slow down in the process. I do not have to be on the beach, or at the water, we come off from the ship (LOL), we see enough water. I also live in California, 10 miles from the coast line. Our other 2 friends live in Hawaii.

I will take your advises to look at hotel in downtown Business area, or on Sh. Zayed Road. I hope I will find a great private tour guide which already recommended here. Hopefully we save some money to be able to bring back home some tiny gold piece of jewelry and proudly show off "it is from Dubai".

Being an Asian, does Dubai city have Chinatown? I always want to visit each ChinaT in the nation that I stop by (LOL). I just want to see who has the best variety ethnic food and most fresh groceries.

Thank you Ann! You are great.

Waking up this morning, and to learn of your new message here. It made me felt like im having a great day today.

I am copying and paste your "hotel notes " here onto my planner page (I carry this along while travel, so I know what to do next). You have no idea how much you are appreciated. Your words are so kind and patience. Such a great contributor to this site.

Actually the ship offers 3-4 nights stay with tour around Dubai and Abu Dhabi. It is apprx. $US1200 pp. The hotel is near to the harbor. I have the name of the hotel which i can google to view its location. Our group is 4 adults, we like to do a little more private, customized tours and just "us". Going with the ship will be on the big bus, things will be definitely slow down in the process. I do not have to be on the beach, or at the water, we come off from the ship (LOL), we see enough water. I also live in California, 10 miles from the coast line. Our other 2 friends live in Hawaii.

I will take your advises to look at hotel in downtown Business area, or on Sh. Zayed Road. I hope I will find a great private tour guide which already recommended here. Hopefully we save some money to be able to bring back home some tiny gold piece of jewelry and proudly show off "it is from Dubai".

Being an Asian, does Dubai city have Chinatown? I always want to visit each ChinaT in the nation that I stop by (LOL). I just want to see who has the best variety ethnic food and most fresh groceries.

Thank you Ann! You are great.

Thank you for you kind remarks, having lived here for many years now I just try to be as helpful as I can be to those visiting.

With regard to you question re Chinatown, the city is too new to have established ethnic areas so you will not find anything like those local areas that are found in many older cities around the world...

Anne..

Thank you for you kind remarks, having lived here for many years now I just try to be as helpful as I can be to those visiting.

With regard to you question re Chinatown, the city is too new to have established ethnic areas so you will not find anything like those local areas that are found in many older cities around the world...

Anne..

Thanks Ann. BTW: I did check into the website of the DubaiPrivatetour company which you recommended it. I definitely use them. They have very high rating on Tripadvisor.com. I hope I will have the opportunity to do the review about them once im home.

I will use them all the days that Im there. They noted on their website that they take both US dolalrs or local currency (great info.).

Ann: what about the taxis? or restaurants? do they take US dollars? Just in case my Dubai local currency runs out? Please advise. I appreciate your help.

Ann: what about the taxis? or restaurants? do they take US dollars? Just in case my Dubai local currency runs out? Please advise. I appreciate your help.

They will but you may not get a favourable exchange rate however, the one thing we are not short of here are ATM’s and money exchanges - you will find them in any of the shopping malls so I would recommend you exchanging your US$ if you need more cash during your stay. The UAE Dirham is pegged to the US$ so the exchange rate does not fluctuate daily and the exchanges are regulated by the Central Bank just as the local bank branches are...

Anne..

They will but you may not get a favourable exchange rate however, the one thing we are not short of here are ATM’s and money exchanges - you will find them in any of the shopping malls so I would recommend you exchanging your US$ if you need more cash during your stay. The UAE Dirham is pegged to the US$ so the exchange rate does not fluctuate daily and the exchanges are regulated by the Central Bank just as the local bank branches are...

Anne..

Thank you Ann: Since i had a bad experience about my ATM card, Im no longer carry ATM with me. Again, it is my choice. I lost my ATM in Europe. It cost me so much time to call home...long story short: I quit carry it.

I just hope they have vendors/shops to do the exchange for me if I run low on Dirham$.

Thank you Ann: Since i had a bad experience about my ATM card, Im no longer carry ATM with me. Again, it is my choice. I lost my ATM in Europe. It cost me so much time to call home...long story short: I quit carry it.

I just hope they have vendors/shops to do the exchange for me if I run low on Dirham$.

Best not to change in stores, hotels, etc. except in cases of urgency. To get the best exchange rates use the licensed money exchanges - they are just like bank branches and you’ll easily find them in any of the main shopping malls...

Anne..

Best not to change in stores, hotels, etc. except in cases of urgency. To get the best exchange rates use the licensed money exchanges - they are just like bank branches and you’ll easily find them in any of the main shopping malls...

Anne..

Hi Ann, would you help me how to identify whether a "licensed money exch" name, or some types of their "initials". Thank you again.

Hi Ann, would you help me how to identify whether a "licensed money exch" name, or some types of their "initials". Thank you again.

They look just like bank branch offices (many banks also have branch offices in the malls so you can use either a bank or an exchange). A couple of the larger exchanges are UAE Exchange, Al Ansari Exchange, Sharafexchange, Al Rostamani Exchange. The reason we have so many is to facilitate transfer of funds to home countries for expatriate labour who may not meet the requirements of international banks to open accounts with them, so they serve the same purpose as banks - they are not back street money dealers like you may find in some other countries... If you go in a mall and pick up one of the directory pamphlets from the information desks you’ll find both banks and money exchanges listed in them along with their location within the mall..

Anne..