Champagne Cat Cruise in St. Thomas

suntan

I would love to hear from anyone who has taken the "Champagne Catamaran Cruise" shore excursion in St. Thomas. I'm interested in knowing how far does the catamaran moor off the beach in St. John. We have two people in our group that are not great swimmers and if the catamaran moors too far from the beach, then this excursion will not be for them. Thank you.:)

We've been on that trip twice and although it is expensive, have enjoyed it both times. Usually the boat anchors in about 5 feet of water about 50 yards offshore. They had a little dinghy to carry people ashore if they didn't want to make the swim. If your non-swimmers also have mobility problems, they might have difficulty getting into the dinghy, too. It's not very accessible. The captain and mate did their best to help an old gent who probably would have been better off on another boat entirely, and it almost turned into a disaster when he slipped. He REALLY wanted to go ashore; it was his whole purpose in life at that point. I only mention that just in case you are in a similar situation.

The boat has snorkel gear (decent quality) and water toys, and even has a fresh-water hose to rinse the salt off. It's a great trip. It is a barefoot cruise - no shoes on deck!

We went on that excursion and I am not a big snorkeler. There were about 4 people who did not want to snorkel in our group. They had a small dingy and transported us to the beach area if we did not want to swim. The beach was nice and the water was too at the beach. I enjoyed my time on the beach while DH snorkeled.Enjoy your cruise.

I would love to hear from anyone who has taken the "Champagne Catamaran Cruise" shore excursion in St. Thomas. I'm interested in knowing how far does the catamaran moor off the beach in St. John. We have two people in our group that are not great swimmers and if the catamaran moors too far from the beach, then this excursion will not be for them. Thank you.:)

suntan,

As stated by the others they moor just off shore. DH and I have done this excursion (and I am one of those non-swimmers) and I was well cared for by the crew and they saw me ashore and back with no trouble at all.

That said, be careful as to which excursion you book - there is one on a magnificent cat called Heavenly Day (from Bolongo Bay Beach Club) and another on a tiny - cramped cat called the Jolly Roger.

The Heavenly Days was just that!

The Jolly Roger was a disaster - too many people, too little room and no covering from the sun until the return to St. Thomas.

Just a heads up.;)

suntan

That said, be careful as to which excursion you book - there is one on a magnificent cat called Heavenly Day (from Bolongo Bay Beach Club) and another on a tiny - cramped cat called the Jolly Roger.

The Jolly Roger was a disaster - too many people, too little room and no covering from the sun until the return to St. Thomas.

Just a heads up.;)

"Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St John" is 4 hrs and $79

"Full Day Catamaran Sail To St. John With Lunch" is 6 hrs and $99

I've heard from others here the longer one is better. Do you know which of the above tours uses the Jolly Roger and Heavenly Days?

Just a heads up.;)

We have also done both and I totally agree with crusdiva. I think the difference in them is one is a short tour and one is an all day tour. That smaller cat was not anywhere near as good as the Heavenly Days.

Heavenly Days is the all day tour @ $99. We have done this excursion

several times & Highly recommend it, They do serve champagne & minosa's

even though it's not billed as " Champagne Catamaran " as well as a wonderful

lunch directly from the Bologno Bay Hotel.

This is a great way to enjoy you day in St. Thomas, especially if there are more than 3 ships in port that day. They usually return in time to shop in Havensight.

"Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St John" is 4 hrs and $79

"Full Day Catamaran Sail To St. John With Lunch" is 6 hrs and $99

I've heard from others here the longer one is better. Do you know which of the above tours uses the Jolly Roger and Heavenly Days?

Neither one!

The Champagne Cat cruises do not use the Jolly Roger boat. That is a separate trip and is always identified as Jolly Roger in the tour name.

Most ports have a Jolly Roger trip where there's more emphasis on partying than snorkeling. An exception to that is Aruba where, although crowded and with a party atmosphere, there are first rate snorkel guides with two excellent snorkel stops. Jolly Roger boats are easily identified: they're rigged out to look like pirate ships.

I was glad to see this question. We are a family of 4 with a 7 year old that is just learning to swim. We booked the 4 hr so we would have enough time to shop but from what I read here even the 6 hr leaves enough time to shop.

So just to confirm this excursion will take non swimmers to the shore?

Heavenly Days is the all day tour @ $99. We have done this excursion

several times & Highly recommend it, They do serve champagne & minosa's

even though it's not billed as " Champagne Catamaran " as well as a wonderful

lunch directly from the Bologno Bay Hotel.

This is a great way to enjoy you day in St. Thomas, especially if there are more than 3 ships in port that day. They usually return in time to shop in Havensight.

Doesn't the shops in St Thomas close up around noon on Sundays? We are in St Thomas on Sunday and wanted to shop a little in town, and wondered if we'd be better off taking the 4 hr champagne catamaran? The all day one sounds good after hearing you all talk!! :)

Neither one!

The Champagne Cat cruises do not use the Jolly Roger boat. That is a separate trip and is always identified as Jolly Roger in the tour name.

Most ports have a Jolly Roger trip where there's more emphasis on partying than snorkeling. An exception to that is Aruba where, although crowded and with a party atmosphere, there are first rate snorkel guides with two excellent snorkel stops. Jolly Roger boats are easily identified: they're rigged out to look like pirate ships.

Sorry to disagree. I am not talking about the "Jolly Roger Tour" - which is definately a party boat! I have never taken that tour, I am talking about a catamaran called the Jolly Roger sailing from St. Thomas to St. John and stopping at Honeymoon Beach for snorkeling which I have done. It is indeed called a Champagne Sailway to St. John - it is the 4 hour sail not the 6 hour sail which is on the Heavenly Days. I highly recommend the 6 hour (called full day sailaway with lunch in the excursion book) on the Heavenly Days over the 4 hour sailaway on the smaller cat, named the Jolly Roger. I'm searching through pictures of it - when I find it I'll post it.

Just been on the star princess, which docked back in FLL on 28 Dec. We went onthe half day champagne cat. from St. Thomas, It was superb, especially as we chose the early slot (i think it was 8.30) and there were only 9 of us, the afternoon had 45 people! The good thing about going early is that you are already up as immigration comes on board that day, so you might as well get going! We had never snorkeled before, and found it superb.:)The cat. was called the Adventurers, or something like that!

Sorry to disagree. I am not talking about the "Jolly Roger Tour" - which is definately a party boat! I have never taken that tour, I am talking about a catamaran called the Jolly Roger sailing from St. Thomas to St. John and stopping at Honeymoon Beach for snorkeling which I have done.

No need to apologize. I mentally confused Jolly Roger with Jolly Pirate's who have tours in most Caribbean ports. I must say, however, this was the first mistake I've made all year.

In my defense I have only one thing to say:

Denny Crane!

My wife and I are booked on this excursion in early March. If you have to swim ashore, what hapens to your camera if you have brought one with you??? Also, if you are supposed to go barefoot what do you do with your shoes???

Thanks

No need to apologize. I mentally confused Jolly Roger with Jolly Pirate's who have tours in most Caribbean ports. I must say, however, this was the first mistake I've made all year.

Ah, Steve you're killing me! :D Happy New Year.

My wife and I are booked on this excursion in early March. If you have to swim ashore, what hapens to your camera if you have brought one with you??? Also, if you are supposed to go barefoot what do you do with your shoes???

No worries, I had my big beach bag with my towel and my camera - as well as other stuff. The crew took my beach bag (everyone's beach bag as a matter of fact) over to the beach on a separate dingy and brought it back the same way. That way they could concentrate on passengers getting to and from the beach safely in the zodiac. I did go barefoot as Honeymoon Beach was soft, silky sand, so you can just leave your shoes onboard if you'd like.

Doesn't the shops in St Thomas close up around noon on Sundays? We are in St Thomas on Sunday and wanted to shop a little in town, and wondered if we'd be better off taking the 4 hr champagne catamaran? The all day one sounds good after hearing you all talk!! :)

You are correct - the shops in St. Thomas, on a Sunday, close early. I was on this website: www.*****. They stated that on Sunday the shops close at 1:00 p.m. However, if there are several cruise ships in port some shops may stay open until 3:00 p.m.

Suntan - Thanks for the info. I will check out that sight. Might try to do a little shopping in the a.m. and then do the 4 hr champagne. But--I think that's the one everyone was saying wasn't quite as nice! Argh..choices!!! :)

Suntan - Thanks for the info. I will check out that sight. Might try to do a little shopping in the a.m. and then do the 4 hr champagne. But--I think that's the one everyone was saying wasn't quite as nice! Argh..choices!!! :)

dsl laber: That is what I was planning to do, but I'm not so sure now if I want to take the 4 hour trip if the catamaran isn't very nice. Maybe a call to Princess is in order - maybe they can shed some light on who is the tour operator for the 4 hour trip. I'll keep you informed on what, if anything, I find out.

I know I've seen posters on different threads mention taking a ferry to St. John on their own, rather than do one of the Princess excursions. Have others done that? Can anyone compare the Princess catamaran or other St. John snorkeling excursions to taking the ferry independently? (Obviously one involves a catamaran and one doesn't... but other than that!;) )

Archived