We will be in Dublin on Aug 5: need info on which church to attend

We will be on the Pacific Princess on Aug 5 when it makes a port call in Dublin. This is a Sunday so my son would love to attend an Irish Catholic Mass that day. Any suggestions? We would need to get from the ship to the church so best way to do this would be appreciated.

TIA

We choose St Patrick's Cathedral last summer for the reason mentioned by geoherb, but then realized that this was not a Catholic church as we expected; it belongs to the Church of Ireland (thus is an Anglican church). I understand that the most important Catholic church in Dublin is the St. Mary's Pro Cathedral.

We will be on the Pacific Princess on Aug 5 when it makes a port call in Dublin. This is a Sunday so my son would love to attend an Irish Catholic Mass that day. Any suggestions? We would need to get from the ship to the church so best way to do this would be appreciated.

TIA

I agree that St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral would be the best choice. It also has the benefit of a good location, in the heart of the city.

Sue

TIA

I suggest St. Teresa's (Carmelites) on Clarendon Street, Dublin 2. http://clarendonstreet.com/ (usually just referred to as Clarendon Street Church).

They have 4 masses on Sundays 9.30am; 11.00am; 12.30pm & 6.00pm. So it would give you more flexibility to catch a mass without rushing.

It is few minutes walk from Grafton Street. It is located roughly between the back of Brown Thomas department store and back of Powerscourt Townhouse Centre.

St.Teresa's main entrance https://www.flickr.com/photos/31068574@N05/4802537518

(Note : The 5th is the Sunday of a Bank Holiday weekend here).

Powerscourt Centre. Open Sunday 12 – 6pm
(note - there are public toilets in here - always handy to know !).

Brown Thomas (department store). Open Sunday 11am - 7pm.

From here, you would be well placed to vist many other places / walk around (better placed than the Pro Cathedral, I think), eg :

Trinity College
(
Book of Kell
s has admission charge, grounds are free). Open Sunday 09:30 – 17:00

Chester Beatty Library (
at back wall of Dublin Castle, beside Dubh Linn Garden). Open Sunday 1pm to 5pm . FREE

Dublin Castle
Open 9:45am to 17:45

National Gallery of Ireland
(there's a secondary entrance at end of Leinster Street S). Open Sunday 11am - 5.30pm . FREE

National Museum of Ireland
(Archaeology). Open Sunday 2pm-5pm. FREE

St Stephen's Green

The Shelbourne Hotel
27 St. Stephen's Green

As regards getting there - i noticed that in another post, GeoHerb mentioned "Princess provided a free shuttle bus to Merrion Square". If that is still so, then you could walk from Merrion Square to the church (starting by either heading down the side of St Stephen's Green, or down Clare Street & Nassau Street). Possibly 15 minutes.

I suggest St. Teresa's (Carmelites) on Clarendon Street, Dublin 2. http://clarendonstreet.com/ (usually just referred to as Clarendon Street Church).

They have 4 masses on Sundays 9.30am; 11.00am; 12.30pm & 6.00pm. So it would give you more flexibility to catch a mass without rushing.

It is few minutes walk from Grafton Street. It is located roughly between the back of Brown Thomas department store and back of Powerscourt Townhouse Centre.

St.Teresa's main entrance https://www.flickr.com/photos/31068574@N05/4802537518

(Note : The 5th is the Sunday of a Bank Holiday weekend here).

Powerscourt Centre. Open Sunday 12 – 6pm
(note - there are public toilets in here - always handy to know !).

Brown Thomas (department store). Open Sunday 11am - 7pm.

From here, you would be well placed to vist many other places / walk around (better placed than the Pro Cathedral, I think), eg :

Trinity College
(
Book of Kell
s has admission charge, grounds are free). Open Sunday 09:30 – 17:00

Chester Beatty Library (
at back wall of Dublin Castle, beside Dubh Linn Garden). Open Sunday 1pm to 5pm . FREE

Dublin Castle
Open 9:45am to 17:45

National Gallery of Ireland
(there's a secondary entrance at end of Leinster Street S). Open Sunday 11am - 5.30pm . FREE

National Museum of Ireland
(Archaeology). Open Sunday 2pm-5pm. FREE

St Stephen's Green

The Shelbourne Hotel
27 St. Stephen's Green

As regards getting there - i noticed that in another post, GeoHerb mentioned "Princess provided a free shuttle bus to Merrion Square". If that is still so, then you could walk from Merrion Square to the church (starting by either heading down the side of St Stephen's Green, or down Clare Street & Nassau Street). Possibly 15 minutes.

THeWren,

Thank you so much for this information. Another option for sure. I had no idea about the bank holiday. Will most things still be open?

Thanks,

Cheeseclan

Edited by cheeseclan

THeWren,

Thank you so much for this information. Another option for sure. I had no idea about the bank holiday. Will most things still be open?

Thanks,

Cheeseclan

Hello Cheeseclan,

It is extremely unlikely that any tourist attraction would be closed. Also many shops will even be open on Sunday, as usual (although many small ones will not). The actual Bank Holiday falls on the Monday – so more likely to affect people on that day (extra traffic, offices closed, perhaps altered bus times, etc).

Also I am not aware of any big events taking place in the city that weekend (festivals, concerts, sport, etc) that would cause disruption. For example both the national convention centre & a major concert venue are both down near the port area, so if they had an event taking place it would bring a lot more people into the area and consequently a huge demand for taxi's.

If you did need to check on disruptive traffic incidents at the time : https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/ (then use the little white tab at top left to change so that it shows Dublin incidents).

@

Enjoy your day out. :)

TheWren

Hello Cheeseclan,

It is extremely unlikely that any tourist attraction would be closed. Also many shops will even be open on Sunday, as usual (although many small ones will not). The actual Bank Holiday falls on the Monday – so more likely to affect people on that day (extra traffic, offices closed, perhaps altered bus times, etc).

Also I am not aware of any big events taking place in the city that weekend (festivals, concerts, sport, etc) that would cause disruption. For example both the national convention centre & a major concert venue are both down near the port area, so if they had an event taking place it would bring a lot more people into the area and consequently a huge demand for taxi's.

If you did need to check on disruptive traffic incidents at the time : https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/ (then use the little white tab at top left to change so that it shows Dublin incidents).

@

Enjoy your day out. :)

TheWren

Thanks again for your info. It has been most helpful.

Will definitely have a great time.

Cheeseclan