The Baths

teechadeb

Another question about getting to the Baths: I just booked a cruise just because it goes to Tortola and I can see the Baths. They look amazing, and I've always dreamed of actually getting there. Now that I'm booked on a cruise and have booked the Virgin Gorda excursion, I discovered that getting down to the beach may be a potential problem.

I have 1 kid who is afraid of heights (he won't even go four steps up a ladder), and another kid who is really, really tall. Will they have to climb up anything, or duck under something? Should I warn them?

I've become a "large" person who sits at a desk for 12-hours a day. Can a size 24, out of shape person maneuver up, down, sidewise, whatever.. to get down the short path? If I take the longer path and meet my family at the bottom, how long does it take to walk to the beach? Is the path confusing enough that it needs to be marked to avoid getting lost, or will I end up on the same beach as my family sooner or later? Thank you for the advice.

1. ladders - there are one or two SHORT ladders in the Baths - about 4-6 steps

2. Yes and Yes but it will not be that much of a challenge for them. The tall one will probably have to do at least one section on his hands and knees (low roof). I crouched my way through that section but I am very short.

3. I have two bad knees and one bad hip and I am far from slim but I made it through The Baths. It wasn't easy for me but I could do it. My husband assisted an 80+ couple who made it through - slowly and carefully but they did it.

4. Personally I would try the main path first. However I took the alternate path back from Devil's Bay to the parking lot. It is a little confusing whereas the main path is very straightforward. If you take the alternate path down you end up at the OTHER side of the Baths (Devil's Bay). It you take the main path down you end up at the start of the trail through The Baths - this trail leads to Devil's Bay. So you may NOT end up at the same place as your family unless they go through The Baths.

Wear proper footware. bring water shoes to wear when going through The Baths.

It is an effort but it is worth it.

I forgot to add that other than the ladders there is not really much climbing EXCEPT for one spot where you have two choices - a VERY narrow squeeze or a rope assisted climb up a rock (about 5-6 feet - not straight up but upward sloping).

I chose the rope climb and for me it was an effort but doable. Your sons will probably have no problem with the squeeze but you may have to do the rock. It is actually easier than it looks - VERY good traction on the rock.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks to all those that suggested Speedy's for the trip to the Bath's. I have to say this is one of the best values in a cruise excursion! We paid $35 per person which included

1) ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda (about 12 miles, 40 minutes)

2) Open air taxi to baths

3) lunch ($12 credit) at Bath and Turtle.

4) ferry back.

A few tips (some of which have been mentioned ):

1) Allow AT LEAST 15 minutes for the walk from the ship to the Speedy's Ferry. Since you don't know how much congestion there could be try to get off the ship by 830am at the latest.

2) pack light - backpacks are best since you may be wading through knee deep water to get to Devils bEACH.

3) no reservations needed

4) water shoes "swim shoes" best, not flip flops

5) bring small soft side cooler with any drinks you want for beach

6) if you have your own snorkel equipment consider skipping the fins to save on space

7) bring a camera. We brought a disposable water resistant 35mm film camera, but wish we would have had our digital and a water resistant bag. We saw several people taking risky shots with their digitals.

8) bring a few bandaids in case you skin your knees.

9) you do not need a tour guide to take you through the baths.

Have a great trip!

• 3 months later...
Doing it on your own is good....guides would not be useful at the Baths.

The restaurant up the hill is good...we have eaten there many times.

You can spend some time at the harbour...and visit the shops....or take a cab to the old mine and see the great views from there. There is also a beach that is to the "right" of the Baths (as you are looking at the water), your Cab driving will know it.....that usually has no one at it and is huge (tell him the Art Dealer's estate is on that beach)..he will know..but the beach is public.

Would you suggest doing this on your own, if you are only there from 7 am -3:30 (having to be back on the ship by 3:00) Speedys first ferry out departs at 9am and returns from VG at 11:30 am? Worth it or should I book through the cruise line? Patouche is not available the day I will be there.

• 1 month later...
Another question about getting to the Baths: I just booked a cruise just because it goes to Tortola and I can see the Baths. I've become a "large" person who sits at a desk for 12-hours a day. Can a size 24, out of shape person maneuver up, down, sidewise, whatever.. to get down the short path? ~clip~

Truluv, I'm a "fluffy" person also - I was just wondering when your trip is/was, and how you did going through the Baths? We're going in December, and I'd be mortified if I was too fat to get through the boulders!

Zydecocruiser has posted some great pictures in this thread that will give you some idea of what's physically involved in doing the climb at the Baths.

It dawn on me, though, that I'm a little confused about the layout, because I know that for the Patouche excursions, you just jump off the boat and swim directly to the beach, so I'm not sure exactly why the people in these pics are climbing, or where they're climbing to.

Just exploring the rock formations for their own sake, I guess? :confused:

The HAL doesn't get to Tortola until 2:00 so we can't do Speedy's. It seems our only alternative is to use the excursion the ship sets up and pay the extra fee for it, unless someone else has a suggestion?

HI,

I was in Tortola this past Tuesday, I did the tour with Patouche, check with them to see if they will do a tour in the afternoon.

Leo Jay,

You swim from the boat to the beach and walk thru the rocks.

help clarify please, if you're swimming from the boat, why do you need to do the walk through the rocks? why not swim to the beach? What am I missing here? thanks

carol

If you go by boat you have to "swim" to the beach there is no place for a boat to dock right on the beach. It's not a long swim and they helped my Mom & 6 year old son swim to the beach (Patouche gave us a snorkel, mask & fins). Once you are on the beach you walk thru the rocks - the reason to go to the Baths is to walk thru the Rocks, the're not really rocks more like big boulders then you get to another beach. You have to bend down a few times to get thru the some of the rock formations.

Hope this helps, if not ask more questions and maybe I can answer. There are some posts with pictures of the Bath's take a look at them, it might help to explain better.

It seems like if you get to Tortola at 2:00 you won't have time to do the baths in daylight. I'm not sure why Holland America ships arrive so late but would anyone go to the baths if your ship got to Tortola at 2? thanks

• 1 month later...

Our ship is only docked in Tortola from 7a to 1p!:eek: They have two ship's excursions (which I normally HATE to do), but at least we would have the opportunity to get to the Baths, and wouldn't have to worry about getting back on time. The one I'm leaning towards does a boat/ferry trip over, then a cab/bus ride to the Baths themselves. What do y'all think?

Archived