The Baths

teechadeb

Ok there is some great information on the Baths on this site. From what I gather there are 3 options:

1. Take an Excursion using the Cruise ship's excursion

2. Take an excrusion with Patouche

3. Take your own excursion using the ferry and taxis

I have been trying to read up on everthing about going to the baths, but I still have questions.

Questions:

1. Is it worth taking an excursion and swimming to the Baths area, or is it just as nice walking down to the Baths? We have done many snorkeling excurions in our years of traveling, so the experience of taking the catamaran or sailboat would not be a new experience for us. Is the excursion worth it because of the information you get from the guides or can we get just much enjoyment of going on our own?

2. How is the restaurant at the top of the baths? Would anyone recommend taking the ferry and taxi ride ourselves and just eating at the top of the Baths?

3.Are there better restaurants or other things we should be doing that will fit into the time schedule in Virgin Gorda after our visit to the Baths? Or should we head back to Tortola after and do something there and eat there before our ship sails? Our ship departs at 4:00, so if we take the 12:30 ferry back and add the 1/2 hour trip back, that still gives us about 2 hours to hang out in Tortola. I've read many ideas on the package deal to Virgin Gorda, but I'm more out for a great day of fun and experiences, so the price isn't something I'm real concerned with on this trip to the Baths.

4. How long is sufficient to explore the Baths?

5. Any itineraries on someone's perfect day of going to Tortola? Ferry and taxi to Baths, back to tortola, visit something in Tortola?

You all do a great job on this site with information. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Teechadeb

Doing it on your own is good....guides would not be useful at the Baths.

The restaurant up the hill is good...we have eaten there many times.

You can spend some time at the harbour...and visit the shops....or take a cab to the old mine and see the great views from there. There is also a beach that is to the "right" of the Baths (as you are looking at the water), your Cab driving will know it.....that usually has no one at it and is huge (tell him the Art Dealer's estate is on that beach)..he will know..but the beach is public.

#2 - If you have the time - do it yourself. Both the ferry services (Smith's and Speedy) offer "packages" that include return ferry ride and on VG return taxi ride to the Baths. Just choose the one that has the 'best" schedule for your plans - BE VERY SURE you understand the return ferry times (they change depending on the day of the week). It is worth it to at least get a drink at the Top of the Baths restaurant - the view is great and the food is not bad.

Beth,

on the Speedys site, click on "ferry service" at the top.....on the page that comes up, click on "special" on the right hand side....that special would be a great way to do it....and just walk up to the Speedys office next to the cruise dock

I saw the specials page, but I didnt see any way to book it ahead of time, I assumed you just showed up at the dock that day. If you need to book it ahead of time, let me know. thank you very much, beth

beth, if you are concerned about booking ahead of time, perhaps you might just send them an email....I saw their email address somewhere on the website. ...that would alleviate any concerns you might have.

We have friends who have a winter home on Virgin Gorda a very short distance from the Baths....we have enjoyed our time there very much and I am sure that you will too...even the boat ride over to VG is nice

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what time Speedy's comes back to the port?

We have never been to Tortola so we weren't sure if we would really be missing something if we missed the baths. We were considering just going to Brewer's bay for the day with some other CC people. What do you think?

I recall that the Speedy's website has the ferry schedule.

My recommendation is to go to The Baths...it would be a very pleasant day and it is a very unique formation.....the only other one like it is in the Sechelles Island, Indian Ocean.

The baths are a blast - I was there in Oct. and had so much fun! The snorkeling is not all that fantastic compared to other areas in the BVI, so that should not be high on the list. There is a small shack of a bar near the entrance to the baths called Dead Man's that truely has the coldest beer in all of the BVI! The Top OF The Baths is an okay place to eat - a bit pricey for what you get I thought. The attraction of this eatery is the pool!! It was VERY nice to "wash off" with a dip in the pool after the long steep hike up the hill! My recommendation is to skip Top Of The Baths and head to Mad Dogs Bar right behind it. This place was our favorite stop of the whole trip!!! Truely the best Pina Coladas in the whole world!! Great stuff to purchase with their cute logo on it as well. We probably spent over $100 in merchandise to bring home! Bring cash to Mad Dogs - they don't take credit cards. Have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

If our ship is scheduled to leave Tortola at 5:00, will we be safe to catch the ferry back from VG at 3:30, or should we come back on the 12:30 boat? We want to spend as much time at the Baths as possible, but don't want to risk being late.

The Baths are very beautiful we went with an excursion with our boat it was very pricey.After you get tendered to shore get SPEEDIES ferry over to the Baths,they have various times they go back and forth and also letting you know when the last one leaves.We went there with our kids when they were small,you go through a maze of huge rocks until you reach the most beautiful beach.This is a must see:)

cruzzers....definately go to the Baths....this was our favorite place....we still talk about it after a year. I would go back there in a heartbeat. The driver has a vacation place on Tortola and took us to check it out.....awesome. We took the information and hopefully we will can do a land vacation there.

Questions about mobility and the baths.

First, how far do you have to walk when you get off the ship to get to Speedy's?

Second, once at the baths is there an easy way to get through or is it alot of walking and climbing.

FIL has had knees replaced. He would like to go, but is just a little slow and cautious getting around.

Questions about mobility and the baths.

First, how far do you have to walk when you get off the ship to get to Speedy's?

Second, once at the baths is there an easy way to get through or is it alot of walking and climbing.

FIL has had knees replaced. He would like to go, but is just a little slow and cautious getting around.

1. Very short walk - about 5 minutes - you can actually see the ferry dock from the cruiseship dock.

2. There is no REALLY easy way to the Baths.

There are two paths:

The main path straight down from the Top of the Baths restaurant is a little steep in spots. However I have bad knees, and a bad hip and I managed to do it SLOWLY and CAREFULLY wearing proper shoes (not slippy sandals).

This path takes you down to the little beach where the beach bar is located.

From there you can go throught the Baths (to your left facing the ocean) or enjoy the little beach. I went through the Baths (not easy for me but doable). If you intend to go through the Baths, bring water shoes.

The other path (located across the parking lot) takes you to Devil's Bay - it is longer and a bit confusing (little paths branch out from it) but a bit less steep. Devil's Bay is located on the other side of the Baths from the end of the main path.

Personally I think your FIL should be able to take the main path down to the Baths and then decide if he wants to try to go through them. The hardest part of going through The Baths is located not far from the entrance - so if he reaches that far and decides to turn back, it will be relatively easy to do.

The little beach is itself quite lovely.

Hi, does anyone know if there are lockers at The Baths ? If so, where are they located ?

Thanks, raider23

When I was last there (about 2 years ago), there were lockers at the bar that is at the bottom of the main path down to The Baths.

We have been twice, the second time with our kids.

I've never even seen the shops by the 1st beach, or even that beach! - LOL

I'd say the walk to the ferry is a good 10 minutes and that was walking fast to catch their 9am ferry! Using Speedy's return ferry of 3.30pm should give you plenty of time to wander through the market on your way back to the ship. If you ride up top of his ferry, make sure you put on the suntan lotion and hold onto your hat!

The drive to the Baths is beautiful - it truly is a wonderful island. I envy those who live there.

The walk down to the Baths is fine, providing there has been no rain! There are some steps and the odd low rock to step over. As long as you can balance you should be fine. A stick may help some.

We went through the rocks. I am very large and managed - albeit on my hands and knees at times.

The last part you will need to clamber over rocks.

One thing we found was that the sand was very soft and your foot just disappeared into it or slid, you ain't going anywhere in a hurry.

Also there are sand flies and biting bugs in the foliage at the back of the beach, but it is the only shade you'll get unless you are there early and get one of the umbrella stands.

There are loads of fish to sea, we saw a shoal of baby marlin (I think!).

Would I go back a third time? you bet I would!

Hi all!

We are leaving on our cruise in five days, and want to include the Baths in our excursions. We arrive in Tortola at 7 am and depart at 3:30. It looks like the best bet for us with Speedy's is leaving at 9 am from Totola and returning at 12:30. Is that enough time to see and do everything, or will we be rushed and anxious about catching the ferry back to the ship? We may have to try and book through the ship.

Thanks!

I would book through the ship.....you are guaranteed a ride over and back. The ship will wait for all those who book through the ship. If you go on your own...you are on your own to get back in time and they WILL NOT wait for you. It is worth the trip. We didn't have a long time there either but it was worth it. We did not feel rushed. Going to Tortola to see the baths was my favorite....I still talk about it today. Some day I would love to do a land vacation there.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question about getting to the Baths: I just booked a cruise just because it goes to Tortola and I can see the Baths. They look amazing, and I've always dreamed of actually getting there. Now that I'm booked on a cruise and have booked the Virgin Gorda excursion, I discovered that getting down to the beach may be a potential problem.

I have 1 kid who is afraid of heights (he won't even go four steps up a ladder), and another kid who is really, really tall. Will they have to climb up anything, or duck under something? Should I warn them?

I've become a "large" person who sits at a desk for 12-hours a day. Can a size 24, out of shape person maneuver up, down, sidewise, whatever.. to get down the short path? If I take the longer path and meet my family at the bottom, how long does it take to walk to the beach? Is the path confusing enough that it needs to be marked to avoid getting lost, or will I end up on the same beach as my family sooner or later? Thank you for the advice.

Archived