Rules for buying rum in Cuba

kac0426

I'm not much of a liquor drinker (or purchaser) but someone asked me to bring them back some Cuban rum. What are the rules on what you can/can't buy? Is there a limit? Do they take it from you when you re-board the ship? How do you get it back? These all may be silly questions but again, I've never bought liquor while on a cruise before.

There is no rum that you cannot buy. The limits at US Customs are the same as for other countries. You might have to pay duty but typically not. What happens on the ship will vary with the cruise line.

There is no rum that you cannot buy. The limits at US Customs are the same as for other countries. You might have to pay duty but typically not. What happens on the ship will vary with the cruise line.

This is not correct. There are certain brands that Americans are not supposed to buy because they are owned by companies with ties to the Cuban military. Whether anyone will enforce this, however, is another question.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article183888081.html

We purchased rum and were never questioned when we returned to the ship. Sent it through the ships security, picked it up and brought it right to our room. There is a place in the immigration building where you can buy rum, limited selection but prices are good. $3 for small bottle of Havana Club.

This is not correct. There are certain brands that Americans are not supposed to buy because they are owned by companies with ties to the Cuban military. Whether anyone will enforce this, however, is another question.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article183888081.html

Also, as per the US Department of State, “Entities or sub-entities owned or controlled by another entity or sub-entity on [the restricted] list are not treated as restricted unless also specified by name on the list.”

We just returned today and brought back several bottles of Havana Club rum (one bottle per person). We kept it with us when we brought it back on the ship, no questions. Then, going through US customs they simply asked "did you make any purchases?". We said ,"some rum" and the agent gave us our passports back and said "have a nice day". Easy peasy 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Helpful thread

Didn't realize there is anything duty free at the port

Was under the impression there wasn't anything there

With the changes in the cigars and merchandise rule that makes it easier, it is unfortunate that it's 1 liter pp

Didn't realize there is anything duty free at the port

Was under the impression there wasn't anything there

Previous posters are saying that you don't pay duty on the first bottle/liter that you bring back through US Customs, (It is free of duty/duty free.) not that there is a duty free shop at the pier. (There is one at the airport though.)

We purchased rum and were never questioned when we returned to the ship. Sent it through the ships security, picked it up and brought it right to our room. There is a place in the immigration building where you can buy rum, limited selection but prices are good. $3 for small bottle of Havana Club.

Thanks River..

This is the post that made me ask about whether there was a shop at the pier

We just returned today and brought back several bottles of Havana Club rum (one bottle per person). We kept it with us when we brought it back on the ship, no questions. Then, going through US customs they simply asked "did you make any purchases?". We said ,"some rum" and the agent gave us our passports back and said "have a nice day". Easy peasy [emoji846]

I brought back 3 bottles of Havana Club. Customs agent didn’t even ask any questions. Just looked at my passport and said welcome home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you read the regs fully, you might understand that, while buying rum directly from the distilleries on the list is not officially permitted, buying from a third party, i.e. the corner bottle shop, id OK. So all Cuban rum is OK to purchase.