Souvenir "Must have" question

ggftwayne

We are first time cruisers on Coral 1/23.

For the ports of Ocho Rios, Panama, Limon, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, what are the "must have" or traditional souvenirs that one should obtain during our visit?

You know, the ones that say "We were there".

Also which ones turned out to be a white elephant?

Thanks.

For me, that must have souvenir that will really say "been there, done that" is the "Sapphire Princess" sign mounted just below the funnel. Might be a bit of a task getting that checked in at the airport, but I know my buddy going with us would know how to get it down in a hurry LOL.

I usually collect shot glasses of each port. I got a really nice ice bucket from Limon, with "Costa Rica" embossed in the handle. I try to overlook the "Made in Taiwan" sticker on the bottom LOL.

If you have any bakers in the family or friends who bake, pick up the Vanilla in Cozumel. (Its one of the few things not made in China.) All of the people we've given it to rave about its quality over the domestic brands.

In Limon - its the hand carved wooden puzzle boxes. They are one of a kind and very nicely made, or at least they were in 2004 when we were there.

In Grand Cayman, its the DVD of the Cockatoo catamaran trip to pet the stingrays - with you in it of course.

The only other thing I've picked up that says "we've been there" are hats from the local Hard Rock cafe, T-shirts and refrigerator magnets.

Hope this helps...

I usually get a piece of jewelry on every cruise. On your cruise I would recommend shopping for jewelry in Grand Cayman or Cozumel.

I also collect magnets. Easy to find in all of your ports.

I always make some purchases on the ship. Love the gift shops. A nice momento is a small model of the ship. They have lovely ship charms. Watch for the sales onboard. The tee-shirts are good quality on the ship.

Ocho Rios - there are shops right off the ship selling local crafts.

Jamacian Run always good.

Panama - huge warehouse right off the ship in Colon. Again, loads of local crafts. They do have some nice hemitite necklaces. There is also a liquor store here with very good prices. The panama hats are a big seller.

Limon, Costa Rica - again, locals selling crafts. You can find some lovely wood carvings. I also got some nice shell items.

Grand Cayman - I too enjoy the Tortuga Rum cakes. There is a shop near the dock area. They also sell the cakes onboard the ship. Excellent to bring home. They sell them in gift packs with an assortment of flavors. I like the flavored rums to as gifts to bring home.

There is a great shell shop also near the pier that I love. They have all sorts of great stuff. Cayman has some excellent shops. I found some lovely lace items.

Cozumel - Good prices on liquor. Silver is plentiful. Hats/Sombreros are always seen going back to the ship. Hand craved items.

Being we are in the holiday season in all of the ports you can always find ornaments. Beautiful hand crafted ones.

As you can tell, yes, I am a shopper.

Good Luck & enjoy your cruise.

In Jamaica and some other ports I like to buy carved Calabash, calabash are gourds and they are hollowed out and used as bowls with lids, I also have a decorative carving meant to be displayed on the wall and believe it or not a carved calabash purse it is trimmed with leather, lined with fabric These items run from $10. -$25, I am not very good at bargaining so you may get a better price. I think they are lovely art pieces and wonderful reminders of our trips. I also like to buy pottery, baskets and love to buy coffee and vanilla. Enjoy your cruise. Teri

This is a personal choice.Beware of the wood items in Jamaica - heard it has bugs.My daughter collects those little silver spoons since she was little. My 2 sons like magnets and t-shirts. So do I. Lots of women like jewelry. My husband loves the chess sets in Mexico. Last time we visited Cozumel he bought a huge chess set. He stuffed his carry-on as full as possible so he could stick the chess set in the checked lugaage, packed as carefully as possibly. He barely made it underweight and it arrived in one piece when we got home! Silly guy.

We are first time cruisers on Coral 1/23.

For the ports of Ocho Rios, Panama, Limon, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, what are the "must have" or traditional souvenirs that one should obtain during our visit? You know, the ones that say "We were there".

Also which ones turned out to be a white elephant? Thanks.

Welcome to cruising and Princess- you will love the Coral and this itinerary.

In Costa Rica it's wooden boxes fashioned from the local trees of the rainforest. If you are traveling inland to Saarchi make sure you get a handpainted oxcart - they come in many different sizes.

In Panama get one of the locally crafted molas - the brightly colored local cloths that can be wall hangings (I bought a small framed one), pot holders or clothing.

BTW, in both places try the local beer - Imperial in Costa Rica and Panana Beer in Panama.

I agree about the Tortuga Rum Cakes in GC.

Cozumel will also have local crafts: ivory carvings, wood carvings, small abalone shell boxes.

Don't forget the Cafe Britt coffee in Costa Rica. After having a cup there and buying a few bags, we now order it by the (12 2lb bags) case.

Every morning we have a bit of the Caribbean right in our kitchen!

My family collects christmas ornaments from places we have traveled. Some times they have the name of the country other times not. I personal collect charms for a charm bracelet I have had for over 15 years.

Enjoy your cruise

What I get is very easy and not too expensive... I collect magnets for the refridgerator.... So everywhere I go, I get something representative of the port or city/country I'm in... There are tons of Mexico but if I'm in Cozumel, I want it to say Cozumel,etc... And my family collects for me too.. Needless to say, my collection is getting quite large:D :p

In Ocho Rios our tour included a stop at the Wassi Art pottery factory. Interesting little tour...not high pressure to buy. All hand-thrown pieces...from small to huge.

They also have a "seconds" rack...stuff that may be painted a little weird, or a small chip. We got 2 BIG coffee mugs for about 10$ total. They wrapped them nice so they didn't break.

This was probably the nicest thing I saw in Jamaica. Other than blue mt. coffee or rum!

I also like magnets. Cheap, easy to pack. But I need a new fridge! It's getting crowded.

In Panama and Costa Rica, we bought very inexpensive, good coffee bean in local grocery stores. Walk around the grocery store near the dock in Panama and check out the wine tasting and good prices on lots of things. The best nail polish I ever bought was there (for $1). If I had known I'd like it so much, would have taken several bottle home. I know that sounds silly but I needed to touch up my manicure and had forgotten my polish at home. Found the exact color in a brand that I haven't been able to find anywhere (including online) and it was of very high quality. Not exactly a souvenir but a great conversation starter!

I love getting postcards for my albums. The pictures are usually better than any shot I could capture myself.

I try to avoid most if not all of the street vendors. Almost none of it is authentic. (in my experience). I once bought a beautiful necklace in Roatan. I was surprised to see a co-worker wearing one that was identical and it came from Bolivia. I am now thinking they probably get them from a vendor in China.....

Costa Rica is a wonderful country, I used to live there for a short while about 6 years back. Absolutely beautiful. I have visited Limon, my suggestion would be to buy a typical Costa Rican doll, they are beautiful. I also collect shot glasses, I just started this on my last cruise.

By the way, when you are in Costa Rica, try to find a panaderia and buy some pandulce. Panaderia-bread store...pandulce-"candy bread" very tasty! and then send me some!

Great Question! My favorites are Christmas ornaments and magnets for my favorite cruise pictures. Those pictures on the frig keep me dreaming of my next trip. Our teens have loved their Hard Rock Cafe t-shirts. I also look for playing cards for my son. (Usually a freebie on board) I read somewhere that they always buy a plate in their ports and enjoy a special meal all year long waiting for their next trip.

Enjoy!

OMargie

Great Question! My favorites are Christmas ornaments and magnets for my frig. Having that curise picture out keeps me inspired all year long. My teens have loved their Hard Rock t-shirts. I also look for playing cards which sometimes are freebies on board ship. I read somewhere that they collect plates from each port.

Enjoy!

OMargie

You will love the Coral. I usually buy jewelry and purses. They have wonderful little hand woven basket type purses made by the locals in Panama. I bought one on a tour there and again a second one at the market near the pier. I just love them. The market at the pier had nice jewelry also.

Think about what you like to collect, and add whatever you can from those countries. On our first cruise I bought a beautiful ceramic plate from an art gallery in Key West (that was 12 years ago). I was also at the pottery factory in Ocho Rios, which is a very interesting place to see, and bought another ceramic piece. My son collects shot glasses too. I have bought jewelry many times, but usually from St. Thomas. Interestingly, by the way, even though its a good buy, most of it comes from NYC. If you don't wear something at home, don't buy it. I really don't wear silver jewelry, but when I see it in Cozumel, can't resist it. I don't think I will do it again. I have also bought very pretty bathing suit cover-ups in various places. I know they are not made there, but I don't see them at home, and people ask about them when I wear them, so who cares. You are creating memories from each thing you buy, so who cares where it was made.

There are two categories of souvenirs: Those you buy to remind yourself you went and those you buy to tell other people you went.

If the latter is your cup of tea I recommend one of those very naff t-shirts with the names of various places across the world emblazoned across them, usually under the words "Hard Rock Cafe". A sure fire way to "impress" everyone with the fact you visited somewhere amazing, and didn't do anything interesting.

Personally, as a confessed shopaholic, I like to buy something I will enjoy when I get home; not so much souvenir per se but a treat purchased abroad so every time I encounter it I remember my hols. For me jewellery and clothes (particularly bags and shoes, but that's just me generally) fits the bill perfectly.

In europe we tend to gravitate to heavily anglicised resorts on the Med for our vacations, so much so that you can easily forget what country you are in. One of my more humorous friends collects the EXACT same fridge magnet for every trip, the only difference is the place name emblazoned on the bottom. Hilarious to see his fridge and proof positive there is no such thing as a genuine souvenir.

I try to buy a nice photo album that clearly shows where I bought it on the cover, then use it to organize my photos from that particular vacation.

I have some very unique albums from many places! I keep them out on my book shelves and can clearly see each one every day.

Memories.........

Archived