Embarkation Time (Escape out of NYC)

Ok, looking at recent reviews of debarkation has me wondering about the embarkation process. This will be my first time out of NYC so any intel will be appreciated. What time have they been starting the embarkation process lately? If I arrive at parking at 9:00 and head over to Intrepid until about 12:00, what can I expect when I return to the ship for Embarkation? If I choose to do the Intrepid, should I check in for Escape first?

Thanks in advance!

I think 11:30 is the average. The last time we cruised out of NYC, it took over 1 1/2 hours to get through security and check in, we arrived at 9:45 and only sat a few minutes before boarding. I’d drop luggag3 off with a porter and go directly to the Intrepid.

Porters are at the pier by 8 am, mostly for disembarking pax & to help with taking luggage on request but some will be upstairs on arrival - to accept luggage from early birds coming in - they can be dropped off just about anytime from 8 onward.

The Intrepid does NOT open until 10 am daily, winter or summer, weekdays or weekends - it's an easy 10 minutes (slow) walk south along 12th Avenue from the ship terminal (keep your meds, passports & other valuable items with you in a small backpack or daypack, subject to security inspection at the musuem entrance - there are no storage lockers). Generally, it's recommended to allow 2.5 to 3.5 hours for touring - comfortable shoes for walking & standing, stairs to climb up & down, as you should know.

To get an early start, you might wish to consider reserving a tour as they will allow you to skip the general admission lines & waiting, and get you started at 9 am, most tours are $15 or $20 p/p and well worth it - plus in support of its operating mission.

https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Plan-Your-Visit

Most of the Escape sailings out of NYC are scheduled for 4 pm but it's possible for 3 pm as well, and generally the same for the Gem / Dawn. Recommended check-in time is 2 hours before sailing if you have NOT completed online check-in, unlikely ... thus, you are required to check-in, then, no later than 1 hour before sailing time. That would be either 2 pm or 3 pm, for 3 and 4 pm scheduled sailaway in NYC.

If you return late & close to the final cut-off time, plan for & bring some snacks or energy bars, etc. as lunch/buffet services will be stopped by then with the scheduled mandatory safety/muster drills with all passengers reporting to the stations. Enjoy, plan & get the most out of your visit before the cruise.

You sound just like me before our cruise on the Breakaway out of New York last February. I had the same questions.

We got a room at the kimpton ink48 was a block from the ship and the intrepid, morning we left they held our bags, and we walked over. Got to have a private tour of the intrepid at 10:00, and enjoy almost every exhibit there. As I recall we didn’t leave until 1:00, I know we watched the 12:30 kamikaze show and that lasted a few minutes, then gift shop time and walk back to hotel. Grabbed bags walked the block to the ship, had tags on and immediately dropped luggage. By the time we arrived there was no line at security so we got through there very quickly. Seemed like we walked quite a ways down to find our line to check in, but we only had a few folks before us so once we were there we only had to wait a moment. Got checked in very quickly, they took photos and gave us our ship cards. Everything was perfect until they warned us that food service was about to stop in preparation for the muster drill [emoji51] we hadn’t had lunch yet.. I think it was about 1:40 at this point and food stopped at 2:00.

Disembarking was even faster.. we self carried our luggage and walked off the ship and through customs without stopping in a single line. Not sure how we got so lucky considering the other stories I’ve read here.

Hope you have a fantastic trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums