Packing Guide for Alaska

alainamarie

The surge protector is what can cause the fire. Fire is the biggest danger on a ship. Ship electrical lines are not meant to handle deflected surges. If the charger with just USB ports does not have a surge protector then it is fine.

Just because Carnival or Royal Caribbean ( those are my current cruise lines, both of which say no surge protectors) did not “find mine” did not make it ok to put thousands of lives in Danger. Once I found out the rule; I am following their rule and not bringing it.

So I take a regular plug that I can plug our stuff into with their original charging cords.

I am not trying to debate you about this. I wanted you to be aware of the possibility of fire from the Belkin. You now know that a lot cruise lines don’t allow them and the reason.

Again, your list is helpful. Thank you for posting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No debating from me, I’ve never known that my Belkin was an issue so I’m glad you brought it up. I’ll post my solution shortly. Thank you for pointing this out to me, I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by alainamarie

36cf26cfb13b83a9f00cf687ec0ed443.jpg

I found a solution - no surge. I’m so glad it was pointed out that my Belkin is contraband because I certainly do not want to risk any fires. I’ll be purchasing this item to replace my belkin.

Thanks again for the feedback & thanks for reading!

Alaina

36cf26cfb13b83a9f00cf687ec0ed443.jpg

I found a solution - no surge. I’m so glad it was pointed out that my Belkin is contraband because I certainly do not want to risk any fires. I’ll be purchasing this item to replace my belkin.

Thanks again for the feedback & thanks for reading!

Alaina

Thank you!! I am going to buy this one!

Thank you!! I am going to buy this one!

The real thanks goes to you for saving me on this one!! I’ll update my blog post once I receive this one on Tuesday.

Thanks again!

Alaina

Celebrity cruises list electrical extension cords as a prohibited item. So, I'd double check NCL...as your solution is technically an extension cord and if found, should be confiscated on Celebrity.

Ok so I found this one that is not a surge protector and is only a 15 inch cord. b174703a4a4a47cde651c795db7a2e44.jpg

On Amazon

Celebrity cruises list electrical extension cords as a prohibited item. So, I'd double check NCL...as your solution is technically an extension cord and if found, should be confiscated on Celebrity.

On NCL, you can have the power strip by specially no surge protector. I’ve done extensive research today. Thanks for reading!

Alaina

On NCL, you can have the power strip by specially no surge protector. I’ve done extensive research today. Thanks for reading!

Alaina

We’re all here to help each other out. Most cruise let a power strip as long as it’s not a surge protector. That’s the fire hazard part. We all have to remember these regulations are for the safety of the passengers and don’t make the cruise lines money. They are floating cities with limited fire fight capabilities. Room stewards are being asked to ensure vessel regulations are being followed

We’re all here to help each other out. Most cruise let a power strip as long as it’s not a surge protector. That’s the fire hazard part. We all have to remember these regulations are for the safety of the passengers and don’t make the cruise lines money. They are floating cities with limited fire fight capabilities. Room stewards are being asked to ensure vessel regulations are being followed

You are absolutely right which is why I purchased a power strip without a surge. Thanks so much for reading along!

Alaina

We just got off our 1st 12 day cruise and layered as we were told and it was perfect. The weather was mainly 46 degrees in port each day give or take a few. I wore a long sleeve light REI wicking shirt with a regular t-shirt over it and then a zip up sweatshirt jacket over those and my heavy jacket over that with I had to take off once when we were hiking as it was too warm.

On the ship I bought one of those poofy down jackets that folded down nicely and wasn't as bulky as the jacket I had taken. It only rained 2 days on us and that was in Ketchikan and Glacier Bay day and the water proof REI jacket was perfect.

I had a thin pair of wicking long under wear to wear under my jeans and wore them for 3 port days & glacier bay day.

I took hiking shoes and my husband took big hiking snow boots that gave him so much pain. I was comfy. We both took thick socks.

We waaaaaay over packed for the ship. We like to have things to choose from though. We took 4 checked bags, 2 carryon's, and a small checked bag with sodas. Next time we won't pack so much for around the ship. It's a very casual cruise.

We just got off our 1st 12 day cruise and layered as we were told and it was perfect. The weather was mainly 46 degrees in port each day give or take a few. I wore a long sleeve light REI wicking shirt with a regular t-shirt over it and then a zip up sweatshirt jacket over those and my heavy jacket over that with I had to take off once when we were hiking as it was too warm.

On the ship I bought one of those poofy down jackets that folded down nicely and wasn't as bulky as the jacket I had taken. It only rained 2 days on us and that was in Ketchikan and Glacier Bay day and the water proof REI jacket was perfect.

I had a thin pair of wicking long under wear to wear under my jeans and wore them for 3 port days & glacier bay day.

I took hiking shoes and my husband took big hiking snow boots that gave him so much pain. I was comfy. We both took thick socks.

We waaaaaay over packed for the ship. We like to have things to choose from though. We took 4 checked bags, 2 carryon's, and a small checked bag with sodas. Next time we won't pack so much for around the ship. It's a very casual cruise.

Thank you for the feedback!

I find tennis shoes and some water shoes work just fine in port. Thanks for the info on your layers! I like having many choices and don’t have to worry about flying. I need to make a stop at REI before my cruise to check out the inventory.

Thanks for reading!

Alaina

Thanks so much to the OP for this thread. I've added a few more items to my packing list for our Alaskan cruise, departing in just over 2 weeks. Never thought to bring Lysol or those first aid items and the nail file. This is my 9th cruise and each time I go, I bring less and less. I must have looked like I was packing for a month long trip on our first cruise (big oversize bag, medium bag, garment bag and 2 carry ons) only 7 days long. That was when I did the whole evening gown thing and had 3 separate outfits for every day. For our 9 days in Alaska this go around, I'm bringing 1 medium-large bag for both my clothes and my husbands and we'll each have a carry on bag. That is it! I'm going on a Princess cruise and if I run out of clothes, I'm simply wash midway through the trip. I know that other cruise lines don't have self serving laundry, so that isn't an option for some.

You've giving me a lot of good ideas, so thanks again!

Thanks so much to the OP for this thread. I've added a few more items to my packing list for our Alaskan cruise, departing in just over 2 weeks. Never thought to bring Lysol or those first aid items and the nail file. This is my 9th cruise and each time I go, I bring less and less. I must have looked like I was packing for a month long trip on our first cruise (big oversize bag, medium bag, garment bag and 2 carry ons) only 7 days long. That was when I did the whole evening gown thing and had 3 separate outfits for every day. For our 9 days in Alaska this go around, I'm bringing 1 medium-large bag for both my clothes and my husbands and we'll each have a carry on bag. That is it! I'm going on a Princess cruise and if I run out of clothes, I'm simply wash midway through the trip. I know that other cruise lines don't have self serving laundry, so that isn't an option for some.

You've giving me a lot of good ideas, so thanks again!

Thank you so much for reading! I’m able to easily fit all of my things into one large suitcase. I’ve also found packing cubes help, too!

I’m so glad you found a few helpful tips! Enjoy your cruise! Mine leaves in 12 days!!!

Take care,

Alaina

a91f76bd54a2ceb44c67d4acb075cfb0.jpg

I received some happy mail today! Still waiting on my stainless steel straws to come in.

I got the idea of an oil diffuser from Lisa who did a live review on Pearl (first cruise to Alaska of the season). Especially because I’m traveling with my husband, what can it hurt?!

My charging station WITHOUT surge is now ready to be used. I’ll post a close up in a separate post.

And I finally remembered to purchase luggage tags! I’ve always kicked it old school and printed my tags and stapled it before hopping on the cruise.

Let me know if anyone needs amazon links - all 3 items came from amazon.

We each have one carryon. In half the carryon, I can fit 5 pairs of pants, 10-12 shirts, bathing suit, etc. In the other half, I have a coat, electronics, hat, gloves, underwear with half of that space empty for souvenirs. The secret is to lay the clothes flat and roll them. I buy a T-shirt when I get there to sleep in. My husband and kids do the same.

How do packing cubes work?

I wish I could pack as reasonably as you!

Here’s a photo of my packing cubes... each set has 3 different sizes and I roll items into each cube.

Example: my dresses will all be rolled into one large cube & all tops into the other large cube. c522011d847f1f4049eb36ebed16cac2.jpg

Thank you so much for reading! I’m able to easily fit all of my things into one large suitcase. I’ve also found packing cubes help, too!

I’m so glad you found a few helpful tips! Enjoy your cruise! Mine leaves in 12 days!!!

Take care,

Alaina

12 days!!! That must be so exciting. We leave in a few days more than you. I've tried the packing cubes. I couldn't make them work. I just couldn't figure out how to pack the packing cubes (ha-ha) and always seemed to toss them and repack every time. Of course my sock drawer seems to burst out at me, every time I open it, so that should give you a clue of how well I organize/pack!

12 days!!! That must be so exciting. We leave in a few days more than you. I've tried the packing cubes. I couldn't make them work. I just couldn't figure out how to pack the packing cubes (ha-ha) and always seemed to toss them and repack every time. Of course my sock drawer seems to burst out at me, every time I open it, so that should give you a clue of how well I organize/pack!

Honestly, the packing cubes do not always work for me. Only on longer trips do I find them effective. I’m also a little lazy sometimes and simply don’t take them out and organize my clothing. I had the extra time and did this packing guide, so it forced me to take clothing out and get organized. I’ll show some photos of how I pack the cubes. [emoji846]

A close up of my new “charging station” - I’ve updated my blog too.

This has NO surge and I posted the amazon screen shot earlier. Thankfully it was brought to my attention that my Belkin indeed had a surge which is not allowed on ships due to a fire risk.

I personally cannot have a charger with just USB ports because my husband uses a CPAP.

14769846c7292a16c8f08fbf74ac6ffa.jpg

I always stop by target for some last minute necessities and other items I may not have in a travel size. I find target to have an extensive travel section.

If I have enough room in my luggage, I do rather enjoy the luxury of my own hand soap and sanitizer. Yes, many people will find this crazy and over the top, but I do take home what’s left and only pack this for longer trips if I have the space.

IMG_0607.thumb.JPG.4464bf4e8d10a494f73c2744fa69fda0.JPG

I also found a couple of items to update my medicine case with. I have never seen the travel size Tums case and this sure beats my plastic baggie for these chewable tablets.

Right to it was chewable Dramamine that I decided to grab.

IMG_0612.thumb.JPG.8aa06548d94c09652f729169d01e2c7e.JPG

Ok so I found this one that is not a surge protector and is only a 15 inch cord. b174703a4a4a47cde651c795db7a2e44.jpg

On Amazon

I received this today. It worked well and took up very little space in my backpack.

a91f76bd54a2ceb44c67d4acb075cfb0.jpg

I received some happy mail today! Still waiting on my stainless steel straws to come in.

I got the idea of an oil diffuser from Lisa who did a live review on Pearl (first cruise to Alaska of the season). Especially because I’m traveling with my husband, what can it hurt?!

My charging station WITHOUT surge is now ready to be used. I’ll post a close up in a separate post.

And I finally remembered to purchase luggage tags! I’ve always kicked it old school and printed my tags and stapled it before hopping on the cruise.

Let me know if anyone needs amazon links - all 3 items came from amazon.

I have that same aroma diffuser. I never thought about bringing it. But I just might do that with our Fall cruises to test it out.

I have that same aroma diffuser. I never thought about bringing it. But I just might do that with our Fall cruises to test it out.

This is my first time bringing a diffuser! It also services as a nightlight if you want to. Love it!