Packing Guide for Alaska

alainamarie

Great post. Really appreciate the medicine bag section. I screenshotted it for my cruise to Alaska in three weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m so glad it was a little helpful for you! My medicine bag is an old mary kay bag I had lying around. I’ve tweaked it over the years, but it serves me well!

Well done! I am sure this will be helpful to people.

Thanks, Matthew!

Good grief .....are you packing for a 6 month cruise around the world !!!

Glad this works for you, but I sure wouldn't lug this stuff with me for a little 9 day trip.

To each his own. We all have different packing styles and this works for me. It all goes into one suitcase.

Thanks for reading!

I always travel with a medicine bag that works for what I and/or my husband might want. I have one bag - and since I often travel to developing countries for work - it contains things you might be able to find in your "average American" cruise port. But since that's not where I'm traveling most of the time, that's not what I'm packing for. It's also not that big - and I don't have any liquids in it so I can travel carry-on.

YMMV, in all things, right?

I'm having to think about the layering of clothing so your suggestions are so helpful. I have cruised many times; however, this is the first Alaska cruise for me. I am trying to take several mix and match things that can be worn separate or together.

I'm having to think about the layering of clothing so your suggestions are so helpful. I have cruised many times; however, this is the first Alaska cruise for me. I am trying to take several mix and match things that can be worn separate or together.

Keep in mind that the 'warmth layer', the middle layer isn't next to your skin so it doesn't need to be changed daily.

So you don't need to pack 8 sweaters/hoodys/sweatshirts. Just pack 2 or 3 and maybe buy one as a souvenier in Alaska. No one will notice or even care that you wore the grey sweater on Monday AND again on Thursday.

We are also sailing in May and are packing layers but we are not packing like this list at all. I have shirts for daytime, some long and some short sleeved, which will be my base layer. I have a couple of thin, layerable polar fleece that I can wear over and also a hoodie. I have an outer layer that is waterproof and windproof. I also have a warm hat, scarf and gloves for glacier days. I have water repelling Columbia pants for hiking days and whale watch days and jeans for drier days.

I am bringing casual pants and dress pants for nights on the ship, probably only 3 pair, and will have dressier tops. We are not going too formal for formal nights but have read that Alaska is more casual in MDR.

We are wearing sneakers on the plane and bringing low waterproof hiking boots, dressier shoes for nights and maybe a pair of sandals.

We are going for 15 days but trying to scale down a bit. We plan on cross packing on suitcase for the ship, one suitcase for the cruisetour and will see if we need a roll aboard for extras. We are packing this weekend since we leave in a week, so will update if this doesn't work and need another bag. We are also not worried about luggage because we are flying first class both ways, so we get 2 70 lb bags each. We do have a short Alaska air flight though, from Anchorage to Fairbanks, but we get 2 free 50 lb bags since we are flying within the state. This flight will keep our weights down though, giving us more space to bring stuff home.

Lay out all your clothes that you think you are taking and think it through. If you run cold, you might want more warm clothing. We run warm and live in the north, so are used to the cold. Consider the rain too as July is rainier from what I have read. May has been really rainy this year from what I have read, so waterproof footwear is important for us.

We are also sailing in May and are packing layers but we are not packing like this list at all. I have shirts for daytime, some long and some short sleeved, which will be my base layer. I have a couple of thin, layerable polar fleece that I can wear over and also a hoodie. I have an outer layer that is waterproof and windproof. I also have a warm hat, scarf and gloves for glacier days. I have water repelling Columbia pants for hiking days and whale watch days and jeans for drier days.

I am bringing casual pants and dress pants for nights on the ship, probably only 3 pair, and will have dressier tops. We are not going too formal for formal nights but have read that Alaska is more casual in MDR.

We are wearing sneakers on the plane and bringing low waterproof hiking boots, dressier shoes for nights and maybe a pair of sandals.

We are going for 15 days but trying to scale down a bit. We plan on cross packing on suitcase for the ship, one suitcase for the cruisetour and will see if we need a roll aboard for extras. We are packing this weekend since we leave in a week, so will update if this doesn't work and need another bag. We are also not worried about luggage because we are flying first class both ways, so we get 2 70 lb bags each. We do have a short Alaska air flight though, from Anchorage to Fairbanks, but we get 2 free 50 lb bags since we are flying within the state. This flight will keep our weights down though, giving us more space to bring stuff home.

Lay out all your clothes that you think you are taking and think it through. If you run cold, you might want more warm clothing. We run warm and live in the north, so are used to the cold. Consider the rain too as July is rainier from what I have read. May has been really rainy this year from what I have read, so waterproof footwear is important for us.

I have a rain jacket, a light weight fleece, and I also have rain poncho that folds up into a pouch, a small water proof backpack that also folds into itself to make a pouch. I will take a warm hat and gloves. I have leather Eastlands that I will spray with waterproofing spray before we go. I do have dry-fit type pants from Duluth for our whale watching tour.

I have a rain jacket, a light weight fleece, and I also have rain poncho that folds up into a pouch, a small water proof backpack that also folds into itself to make a pouch. I will take a warm hat and gloves. I have leather Eastlands that I will spray with waterproofing spray before we go. I do have dry-fit type pants from Duluth for our whale watching tour.

I have a couple of the Duluth Dry on the Fly convertible pants. They just had a 25% off sale earlier this week, so grabbed a couple more of those since they wear so well. The Columbia ones are good too but I think the Duluth wear better.

The long range weather forecast is showing a high of 56 F for next weekend, so that is fine for us. We are doing 2 days DIY in the Anchorage area prior to flying to Fairbanks for our cruise tour. We will keep checking and if it trends warmer, I might add more than one pair of shorts. I know my DH will want shorts, even with a high of 56.:D

I went to Vancouver/Alaska last July for 2 weeks. I packed so that most everything would work with a navy or khaki color scheme. I took 3 or 4 dri-fit t-shirts and 2 flannel shirts that I wore multiple days. It was easy to do a little hand laundry at the beginning of the trip. I didn't even take formal wear. I was packed pretty tightly and wasn't that interested in the formal nights. I took leather tennis shoes and some deck shoes so that I could alternate shoes throughout the trip.

I usually "chart out" my wardrobe on a calendar and can then tweak it as I pack. Of course, the weather will play a role as to what you actually wear.

Most folks can probably lay out their wardrobe, remove a couple of outfits and be just fine.

Enjoy Alaska!

Patti

I packed so that most everything would work with a navy or khaki color scheme.

I figured I wasn't the only one to do something like that. :) Mostly everything I'm bringing is in the black/grey family so it will go with jeans and either waterproof black low hiking sneakers or casual black shoes. I have black Frogg Togg waterproof pants to wear over my jeans when/if needed and the usual layers mentioned above (waterproof jacket, fleece, hoodie, long sleeve, short sleeve, etc.) My wife decided to follow suit although she'll have more splashes of color than I will. At least it keeps her from bringing too many pairs of shoes.

We're doing 10 days on land followed by a 7-night cruise so we're trying to pack as efficiently as possible (and we have laundry planned towards the end of the land portion). We're bringing one big suitcase each and a backpack each as a carry-on, day bag, etc.

We stopped eating in the MDR a few cruises ago for various reasons so no reason to get remotely dressed up on the ship. Just want to look presentable for the Diamond Lounge (lounge reserved for a certain loyalty reward level that has a nightly open bar for those not familiar with RCI) but as I've read that Alaska is more casual, I think jeans and a decent shirt/sweater will be fine (I normally wear something like khakis and a polo or in the Caribbean).

There are so many ways to skin a cat and we all have different needs. I chose to not re-wear layers multiple times, but I see how it works for others. I don’t have to fly, so I’m not concerned with space.

Having appropriate layers, a rain jacket, and being prepared is the point I hope came across.

Either way, it’s the destination that counts!

Layer to your comfort. If you’re like me, you enjoy options! I’m so glad this helped in your packing, I roll all of my clothing into packing cubes and it doesn’t take up much space. Enjoy!

Thanks, Alainamarie, for the packing list! I too am not flying so have the option to bring a bit more clothes. I tend to bring a lot of dressy clothes but opt to stay casual (and warm!) on an Alaskan cruise (upcoming one in May is my fourth). I've laid out my clothes but will be editing this week!

I think your list for the medicine kit is fantastic! Heading to Target tonight to add to my bag! Thanks!

(Think we're on the same cruise--Jewel on the 26th?)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, Alainamarie, for the packing list! I too am not flying so have the option to bring a bit more clothes. I tend to bring a lot of dressy clothes but opt to stay casual (and warm!) on an Alaskan cruise (upcoming one in May is my fourth). I've laid out my clothes but will be editing this week!

I think your list for the medicine kit is fantastic! Heading to Target tonight to add to my bag! Thanks!

(Think we're on the same cruise--Jewel on the 26th?)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes we are on the same cruise! If I were not doing specialty dining for 6 nights, I would also opt for more casual attire at night. We enjoy taking off the day’s clothes and putting something nicer on. To each his own, right?!

I’m looking forward to meeting you at the m&g! I’m so glad the medicine section helped... can you tell I’m a nurse and my husband is a physician?!

Alaina

Thank you for the post and pictures. Very helpful! I like options when cruising as well.

Thank you for reading! I love having options because you can’t count on the weather much less your mood!

Take care & happy cruising,

Alaina

I totally agree with & pack a bag with all sorts of medications, etc. After a fall right before boarding a ship several years ago & having to buy Motrin onboard (about $4 for 4 tablets as I recall) I make sure I have anything I think I MIGHT need!

I've specifically wondering if you've been on one of the dog sledding excursions? IN some of the pictures on the RCL site they show people wearing short sleeves while dog sledding while in other pictures the people are dressed in jackets?

My dog sledding excursion will be on the Mendenhall Glacier. Is it such that it actually gets significantly above freezing even on top of the glacier in the summer or should I pack like I'm going skiing. Because this would determine whether I need to check my luggage and perhaps whether I need to buy a new suitcase.

Now that we have moved out of the toiletry section, I want to mention something that I HAVE to bring with me on every cruise. No matter how short or long a cruise is, there are not enough electrical outlets in the staterooms. I do not leave home without my Belkin charging station. The official name is the Belkin Mini 5W 3-Outlet Swivel Travel Charger with Dual USB Ports - I purchased this years ago from Amazon for around $15.

enhance

Another fun tid-bit that I like to point out is a packing list that a couple of friends have given me as gifts (they know I'm crazy about organization and packing!).

I love the "Pack This" list and always pull one out when I start to pack for a big trip. These can be found online or in store, I'm unsure of where they found it. It comes in a pack of about 30-ish.

enhance

This Belkin charger is a surge protector and most cruise lines do not allow protectors. Please check with your cruise line as it can cause a fire. I was sad to find this out, as I too, love this charger.

Thank you for the packing list. It is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This Belkin charger is a surge protector and most cruise lines do not allow protectors. Please check with your cruise line as it can cause a fire. I was sad to find this out, as I too, love this charger.

Thank you for the packing list. It is helpful.

Thanks for reading!

It’s made it onto all 8 of my cruises with no issues. Thanks for the heads up. [emoji3]

Edited by alainamarie

Thanks for reading!

It’s made it onto all 8 of my cruises with no issues. Thanks for the heads up. [emoji3]

I hear ya. Mine was never bothered in 26 cruises but after I read that they are not allowed, I have not taken it the last 4.

I hear ya. Mine was never bothered in 26 cruises but after I read that they are not allowed, I have not taken it the last 4.

I’m still going to bring mine and hope for the best. I’ve thought about purchasing a charger with just USB ports. Not sure if that helps reduce risk of fire?

I’m still going to bring mine and hope for the best. I’ve thought about purchasing a charger with just USB ports. Not sure if that helps reduce risk of fire?

The surge protector is what can cause the fire. Fire is the biggest danger on a ship. Ship electrical lines are not meant to handle deflected surges. If the charger with just USB ports does not have a surge protector then it is fine.

Just because Carnival or Royal Caribbean ( those are my current cruise lines, both of which say no surge protectors) did not “find mine” did not make it ok to put thousands of lives in Danger. Once I found out the rule; I am following their rule and not bringing it.

So I take a regular plug that I can plug our stuff into with their original charging cords.

I am not trying to debate you about this. I wanted you to be aware of the possibility of fire from the Belkin. You now know that a lot cruise lines don’t allow them and the reason.

Again, your list is helpful. Thank you for posting it.