2 nights in Denali Wilderness vs. 2 nights in Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge

rwa

We have done precruise on our own as well and found it most convenient.  We stayed a week visiting from Denali south to the Kenai peninsula.   It’s really hard to get lost because most destinations only have one highway to get there once you’re out of town. On one trip, we used a private shuttle such as bearvalleyroadrunnerdotcom that provide Whittier service to/from anchorage on any day, not just cruise days. On another trip, we did the train. It’s hard to beat the train for the scenic ride.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rwa said:

Thank you to everyone for your input and suggestions! After doing some research and hearing everyone's suggestions, we've decided to rent a car and do the land portion on our own! We're still searching, planning and confirming reservations but excited to do this!  At this point, we're thinking ahead to how we will end our land portion in Anchorage and easiest and least expensive transportation to get to Whittier. We'd like to arrive in Whittier a day early so that we can take the Princess William Sound tour. It looks like we can take the train for $89 pp but haven't found a cost for uber or taxi. We can take Princess transfer but they won't get us there the day early. We realize that there's not more else to do in Whittier but we'll enjoy the leisure time after the tour and before our cruise. Has anyone done this? What's the easiest way to get from Anchorage to Whittier in July if its not a day to board your ship?

Good plan.  I've done my own thing twice and a 6 day cruise ship thing once.  I prefer the scheduling flexibility of doing my own thing.  If you google "Anchorage to Whittier"  you will find some motorcoach transfers.    Also, you have plenty of time to transfer to Whittier, do the 26 Glacier Cruise and board the ship... all in the same day (they cater to the cruisers).  FWIW, my favorite area so far is Homer/Kachemak Bay and the ride down the Kenai to get there.  I agree with whoever said there was not a lot going on at the Mt. McKinley Lodge.  A great place to lay your head down for the night and walk/hike some of the trails, but with time always limited one night is plenty. 

Edited by fishin' musician
  • Like 1

Wowie Zowie! When we did our first Connoisseur Cruise Tour to Alaska we had 2 days in Denali Lodge and 2 days in McKinley Lodge. We're taking another Connoisseur Cruise Tour to Alaska in May. It has 2 days at Denali Lodge, 2 days at Copper River Lodge, and 2 days at Kenai Lodge.  With the time in Fairbanks and the travel time it's 8 days on land followed by the 7 day southbound cruise to Vancouver.

Hey! You wanted both Copper River and Denali. This way you would get both of those plus Kenai as well. 🙂  It's - Connoisseur Cruisetour TB8. You can also book it with the cruise portion first but I don't remember the designation for that one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GARDENone said:

We have done precruise on our own as well and found it most convenient.  We stayed a week visiting from Denali south to the Kenai peninsula.   It’s really hard to get lost because most destinations only have one highway to get there once you’re out of town. On one trip, we used a private shuttle such as bearvalleyroadrunnerdotcom that provide Whittier service to/from anchorage on any day, not just cruise days. On another trip, we did the train. It’s hard to beat the train for the scenic ride.  

Thank you. We'll check this shuttle, too. Our concern was that the transfers by train or shuttle would get us to Whittier too late to catch the Prince William Sound tour without rushing to get there. I called Phillips Cruises (one of the companies that does the Sound tour) and they said that by leaving Anchorage around 9:00 would allow plenty of time to arrive Whittier in time for the tour. The train and shuttles are a bit pricey but not as much as a one way rental car drop off in Whittier!  We consider going to Homer for one of our days but 8 days on land is just not enough time to do everything we'd like to do!