2 nights in Denali Wilderness vs. 2 nights in Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge

rwa

Someone suggested that I post this question on the Princess board. This will be our first time to Alaska. We’re planning a pre-cruise land tour next July before our cruise.

'Option 1' says arrive in Anchorage for overnight stay, next day travel to Copper River Princess Lodge and stay 2 nights, on to Fairbanks for 2 nights, Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge for 1 night, Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge (talkeetna) for 1 night and then to Whittier the next morning to board our cruise.

'Option 2' begins in Fairbanks staying for 2 nights, travel the next day to Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights, then to Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge (talkeetna) for 2 nights and ending in Whittier the next day to board cruise.

We would appreciate any recommendations, pro or con on the 2 options.

I would pass on any tour that does not give you two nights at Denali. You need a full day at Denali to be able to do the park tours, such as the Tundra Wilderness Tour, that go deep into the park. I believe the one night tours only have time to do the short park tour, the Natural History Tour, that does not go far enough for you to see much wildlife.

• Like 1

If you hope to see Denali your best bet is at the McKinley lodge. Don't count on seeing the mountain but, if you are going to see it, that's the place to be. We did a tour that sounds like your option 2. On our last morning at McKinley Lodge the clouds went away from the mountain and it came out for all to see. There were folks in our group who were there for the fifth time and this was the first time they had actually seen the whole mountain as it's usually shrouded by clouds.The Tundra Wilderness tour at Denali Lodge is very good and, as stated above, you "might" (I'm not sure) need a 2 day stay there in order to take that trip.

Check your tour listings to see how long the bus or train trips are. Copper River might make for a longer time confined on a bus. I've been there (stopped for lunch and drinks while camping last year :)) and hope to do a Princess tour that goes both there and also to Kenai but may have to do those two separately as most tours don't hit either of those let alone both and those that do have a lot of time taken up with travel.

Ultimately only you can decide which option to take. Consider carefully and then choose one and plan to go back and do the other one later. Once you have gone you will almost certainly want to go back. If you can afford the extra cost I heartily recommend the connoisseur tours. While not necessary it is a great way to go.

Denali - Sorry this is a poor picture but it's from my phone. It's truly impressive "live". You can ask the lodge to call your room if the mountain comes out but, as I found out the hard way, you have to renew your request each night. D'Oh!

enhance?fromCloud

Edited by Thrak

We had just one night at the Denali lodge and still were able to upgrade from the Natural History Tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. I'm glad we did. The people we met on the train ride from Fairbanks told us they did not see any of the wildlife we saw when they took the Natural History Tour.

Thank you so much for your replies. We were leaning towards the 2 nights in Denali and definitely want to have time for the tundra wilderness tour. We're still researching but want to make a final decision soon. Thanks for your thoughts & suggestions - and pictures!

After two Alaska cruise tours I would suggest option #2.

DW and myself really enjoy the Tundra Tour with two days at the Denali Lodge. Amazing experience. We always saw many wild animals -- Dall sheep, grizzly bears, etc.. The Toklat River(a braided river) and Polychrome Pas should not be missed.

John

Two nights at Denali Princess is a must. But two nights at McKinley Princess is...two nights too long. Nothing to do there and it is an hour each way on the coach to Talkeetna.

I would find a different tour with max 1 night at McKinley Princess or just do your own land tour independently. Very easy to do, much cheaper, can go on your own schedule.

I agree, forget Denali if you only have one day there. Personally I would take the option of visiting the nations largest National Park, Wrangell, St. Elias National Park----Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge, but only if you work out an excursion, independent or cruise line, into the Kennecott Mine and McCarthy area, preferably by flying both ways.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2142971

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2466777

John, do you know if either of these 2 rivers where they offer the rafting tours? (Toklat River and Polychrome Pas)? That's on our list of things to do.

Definitely make sure do you have enough time in Denali to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We saw at least 15 grizzly bears, some munching berries right by the road. Our friends took the short natural history tour and didn't see much of anything.

I disagree that there isn't much to do for the 2 nights at McKinley Lodge. It may depend on your interests and level of activity. I did what basically sounds like the northbound version of your option 2 last June. First, there are many excursions to choose from at McKinley Lodge. We did a guided afternoon kayak paddle on a fairly calm lake. Super pretty. On the other day we did a long guided hike. Also, the lodge is nice. There were several ranger talks to go to. One that we went to was a slide show and talk by a ranger who is also a climber who climbed Denali multiple times. His presentation was really informative about the preparation involved and the experiences along the climb. His photos were great. Just my 2 cents.

We are arriving in Fairbanks on July 18th. Land before cruise. Probably won't post while on board but will post when we get home. Did this same cruisetour in 2013 and it rained for two weeks. Cross your fingers that we get better weather this time. Joyce

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

jr8934  Joyce, did you post a review for your Alaska tour/cruise last July? We're still trying to decide between the NB7 or LB6 tours through Princess. We would love you hear what you chose for your excursions and which were your favorites!  We're booked for the end of June this year!

On 5/11/2018 at 3:34 PM, rwa said:

John, do you know if either of these 2 rivers where they offer the rafting tours? (Toklat River and Polychrome Pas)? That's on our list of things to do.

No rafting tours inside the park.  Rafting is on the Nenana River just outside the park boundary.

• Like 1

Two nights in Denali is a must.  The only big plus to Copper River (Very nice and quiet lodge)  is traveling across the Denali Highway to/from  Fairbanks. Absolutely one of the most beautiful drives in Alaska!  There is no one on that road.   We have been once on a bus and once on our own and would drive it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

The Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge is located along the Copper River adjacent to a multiple drainage system for the western edge of the Wrangell Mountains. Wrangell/St. Elias National Park is the largest in the U.S. and is connected with the Kluane National Park in the Yukon, all of which comprise the largest wilderness area in conservation status in the world. Those two mountain ranges contain 25 of the 100 highest mountains in North America. The St. Elias are the highest coastal mountains in the world, exceeding the Himalayas in vertical relief and containing the largest concentration of peaks over 14,500 feet in North America.  Including Mount Logan, just across the border on the Yukon side, which is the largest mountain mass on earth, 30 miles across the top, and only a few hundred feet lower than Mount Denali in the Alaska Range, it is a true mountain wilderness, occupying a 20-million acre region. 

Since a very limited road system provides access to any of it, most people are unaware of the beauty and magnitude of it all. A closely guarded secret.

How to see it if the weather is decent during your stay at the Princess Lodge? Try arranging a flight-see in advance with Copper Valley Air Service. Do no less than a three hour flight. They will pick you up at the airport very near the lodge. If you have another day, try to arrange a visit to the Kennecott Mines and nearby McCarthy (Kennecott Copper Corp. got its start and name there shortly after the turn of the 20th century from the richest copper ore deposits ever found). NPS has restored many of the original mining structures and buildings there. This is located about 60 miles due east of the lodge.      

https://www.coppervalleyairservice.com/flights/flightsee-tours

• Like 1

We were at Copper River at the end of May and really enjoyed it! For those who say, "It's in the middle of nowhere," our reply is, "That's exactly why we wanted to go there!"

We did the Copper Country Discovery Tour with the Wrangell Institute for Science and the Environment - got to see some of the area with a wonderful, knowledgable guide, along with a nature hike. So there are things to do closer to the Lodge. It was a day-long bus trip getting there and to Fairbanks after but we knew that when we signed up.

• Like 1

You definitely need 2 nights at Denali so you can have one full day for visiting the park. We've taken the park shuttle instead of a Princess tour, and that's what I'd do again if we went. You get farther into the park. Also, we loved Copper River. Great visitor center at Wrangell St. Elias park. And we really enjoyed the bus trip from Copper River to Denali. Spectacular scenery!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 9:02 PM, rwa said:

Someone suggested that I post this question on the Princess board. This will be our first time to Alaska. We’re planning a pre-cruise land tour next July before our cruise.

'Option 1' says arrive in Anchorage for overnight stay, next day travel to Copper River Princess Lodge and stay 2 nights, on to Fairbanks for 2 nights, Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge for 1 night, Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge (talkeetna) for 1 night and then to Whittier the next morning to board our cruise.

'Option 2' begins in Fairbanks staying for 2 nights, travel the next day to Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights, then to Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge (talkeetna) for 2 nights and ending in Whittier the next day to board cruise.

We would appreciate any recommendations, pro or con on the 2 options.

I would go with option 2. Travel distances are long so one night would not give you enough time.  We did this post cruise, in the opposite direction,  and stayed at the Kenai lodge, my favorite  of the 4 we stayed at.  Did not do Copper River lodge.  You definitely need 2 nights at Denali and take the longer park tour.  The only thing we didn't like was the dinner theater there.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for your input and suggestions! After doing some research and hearing everyone's suggestions, we've decided to rent a car and do the land portion on our own! We're still searching, planning and confirming reservations but excited to do this!  At this point, we're thinking ahead to how we will end our land portion in Anchorage and easiest and least expensive transportation to get to Whittier. We'd like to arrive in Whittier a day early so that we can take the Princess William Sound tour. It looks like we can take the train for $89 pp but haven't found a cost for uber or taxi. We can take Princess transfer but they won't get us there the day early. We realize that there's not more else to do in Whittier but we'll enjoy the leisure time after the tour and before our cruise. Has anyone done this? What's the easiest way to get from Anchorage to Whittier in July if its not a day to board your ship?