QUICK QUESTION about price matching.

I booked a cruise with a travel agent to go on the Allure and put the deposit down. Looking tonight, I found a slightly lower price. I saw in other posts that you can price match (Getting either a lower fare or extra OBC), but I have a couple of questions about it.

-My travel agent's office is closed this weekend, so can I call RC myself to price match? I don't want the price to go up before Monday and miss out.

-If I price match now and it goes down again, can I price match a second time?

Edited by Host Clarea
Removed TA name

I booked a cruise with a travel agent to go on the Allure and put the deposit down. Looking tonight, I found a slightly lower price. I saw in other posts that you can price match (Getting either a lower fare or extra OBC), but I have a couple of questions about it.

-My travel agent's office is closed this weekend, so can I call RC myself to price match? I don't want the price to go up before Monday and miss out.

-If I price match now and it goes down again, can I price match a second time?

This also depends on the category that you booked so if you booked a GTY, you may not get any discount if you have already been assigned a cabin as the category may still be higher than you paid. In my case, we booked a GTY suite which includes Junior Suites as the base costs but were fortunate to have been booked into a Grand Suite instead (Yeah!). The pricing for Suite GTY has dropped about $200 since I originally booked but my original pricing is still about $600 less than a Grand Suite even after discounts. I have no expectations to get any price reductions to match the lower Suite GTY as should we make such a request they could well honor the reduction but they, theoretically, could also then move us to a Mini Suite. I don't want to "rock the boat" and potentially loose the GS for a measly $200

Edited by Host Clarea
Removed TA name

You must go through your travel agent. They own the reservation and Royal will not deal with you. You can do multiple pricecdrops as long as you are prior to the cruise lines final payment date,

Thanks, I was afraid of that. It's a small drop, but hopefully it lasts until Monday!

This also depends on the category that you booked so if you booked a GTY, you may not get any discount if you have already been assigned a cabin as the category may still be higher than you paid. In my case, we booked a GTY suite which includes Junior Suites as the base costs but were fortunate to have been booked into a Grand Suite instead (Yeah!). The pricing for Suite GTY has dropped about $200 since I originally booked but my original pricing is still about $600 less than a Grand Suite even after discounts. I have no expectations to get any price reductions to match the lower Suite GTY as should we make such a request they could well honor the reduction but they may also then move us to a Mini Suite & that would be their option. So, in my case, I don't want to "rock the boat" and potentially loose the GS for a measly $200

I didn't think of that. It's a GTY Oceanview Balcony, so if I were to get upgraded to a Jr. Suite (not likely I'm sure), then I'd be happy to forgo the price match. When the travel agentcalls them, before inquiring about the price, would they be able to find out if the room has been picked yet, and if so, which one?

Edited by Host Clarea
Removed TA name

... I didn't think of that. It's a GTY Oceanview Balcony, so if I were to get upgraded to a Jr. Suite (not likely I'm sure), then I'd be happy to forgo the price match. When AAA calls them, before inquiring about the price, would they be able to find out if the room has been picked yet, and if so, which one?

You will know if the stateroom has been picked at the same time as your travel agent. Just check your reservation on Royal's website.

Off topic, but still regarding travel agents... If you book through a travel agent, do you still have access to cruise planner and all the other functions via RC's website for pre-cruise planning?

Edited by Host Clarea
Removed TA specific info

If you book through a travel agent, you still have access to the Cruise Planner for pre-cruise planning and purchases.

Dear Host Clarea:

Isn't it still against the CC board rules to discuss specific travel agencies?!!??!?

If it is, I apologize. Let me know and I will edit it out of my posts.

It is. You can just say "my travel agency" and don't ask any specific questions about it.

And you are past the threshold for editing the posts. :)

It is. You can just say "my travel agency" and don't ask any specific questions about it.

And you are past the threshold for editing the posts. :)

Oh, you are right; I see there is a time limit for editing. All I can do at this point is promise that it won't happen again.

If you book through a travel agent, you still have access to the Cruise Planner for pre-cruise planning and purchases.

Thank you! So, the only things I would not be able to handle through RC would be price drops, room changes, upgrades, and such? Right?

Thank you! So, the only things I would not be able to handle through RC would be price drops, room changes, upgrades, and such? Right?

Yes, bascially anything that changes your fare as you mentioned. Other things you cannot do yourself would be change of dining type (traditional or MTD), cruise cancellation, adding/removing insurance or prepaid gratuities.

Another thing to consider if you are looking at a price drop. If you booked a cruise with an OBC from the cruise line, and the price drop doesn't include an OBC, if you make the change you will lose the OBC. For example, my cruise has an OBC of $175 from Royal Caribbean which was part of the promotion when I booked.

If the new promotion doesn't have the same OBC, then for it to be a benefit for me, the price would have to drop lower than $175 from what I paid. So far, the only OBC that I have seen is for $100, and the lowest price I have seen is $50 less than what I am paying, so it's not worth it.