How far in advance would you book a Non-refundable?

Funny, when mock booking 1 cabin I could see that it was a non-refundable rate.

But I was booking for 2 cabins and the rate was different than the single cabin. I thought I was booking NR, and completed the whole booking then noticed that the price was higher than the original solo room. So I called in and the CSR said surprisingly, "oh, you have a refundable room."

Now I'm trying to decide to lock it in or play the waiting game. I have an upcoming cruise in August, so I can see if the rate drops and then benefit from the booking at sea bonus.

I've become comfortable booking NR on cruises I intend on taking.

It's a Risk Vs Reward. Is the reward greater than the $200 I'm risking? I know I can apply anything over the $200 towards another cruise.

Now my back up cruises are a different story and I book those as refundable.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I agree we have 6 over the next year and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Booking onboard with a $100 per peson deposit, and obc, I booked a year in advance last March.

Also, most credit cards include travel insurance, so depending on the reason for the cancellation, there might be some reimbursement there, too.

In the UK, all our cruise bookings are non refundable! The minimum we lose if we cancel, is our deposit. The nearer to the cruise, the less we get back, including losing the full cruise cost after final payment day. I try to book before full payment day if I need to book other elements of the holiday such as flights or hotels, just in case I can't get the bookings we want.

I suspect that if we were offered refundable bookings through the cruise lines UK websites, we would be booking lots of cruises on a whim, then cancelling when reality sets in! Must be a headache for the cruise lines, and from the consumer point of view, very good, as there must be a last minute release of unwanted cabins and that could drive the prices down? Even worse for the cruise lines, if they then have to match price drops, another privilege denied to UK passengers.

We booked refundable originally but when a sale came it was 250 cheaper to book the nom refundable and we then hit another sale and saved another 200 plus some obc. If air fare is too high we will just drive down. We are going April 2019

Funny, when mock booking 1 cabin I could see that it was a non-refundable rate.

But I was booking for 2 cabins and the rate was different than the single cabin. I thought I was booking NR, and completed the whole booking then noticed that the price was higher than the original solo room. So I called in and the CSR said surprisingly, "oh, you have a refundable room."

Now I'm trying to decide to lock it in or play the waiting game. I have an upcoming cruise in August, so I can see if the rate drops and then benefit from the booking at sea bonus.

Yes. For some reason when you search for one room it defaults to NRF and when you search for 2 rooms it defaults to refundable. Gotta love the RCI website. :rolleyes:

2 Central Park cabins for $4800 CDN R or I can get it for $4300 CDN plus $200 USD OBC ($100 per room).

Let's see.

By booking NRD, you are saving $500 CDN on the fare, plus getting $200 USD OBC ($255 CDDN).

Versus the possibility of losing $200 IF you have to change ship or sailing date. And you normally cruise at this time.

Hmm, I would take that bet.