Best Way to Travel from Worcester, MA to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

alohacr16

Hi, there are not great options from Worcester to NYC. Not sure what day of the week you are traveling but Amtrak doesn't have direct trains from Worcester to NYC, you would have to change trains in both Springfield or New Haven and the journey would take almost 5 hrs. Bus services like Peter Pan or Greyhound also have transfers. There is a bus service called LimoLiner that picks up at the Framingham Sheraton and drives directly to NYC (in front of the Hilton) for about $100. I think you can pay to park at the Sheraton. You would need to take a short taxi ride to the Port from there.

Personally, I would just drive my car and park at the Port. I'd much rather drive than have to deal with dragging luggage through multiple train stations or around icky bus stations in Hartford, although if you can drive to Framingham or get someone to drop you off, LimoLiner might be a decent option.

You may also want to post this question in the New England Port website to see if others who live around Worcester have other recommendations.

Good luck,

Lynne

I don’t have an answer but I just wanted to say hi to the Worcester peeps!

Born and raised there, but now live In AZ. Figures you can cruise from Boston or NYC now that I don’t live there anymore. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It sounds like you do not wish to drive in. Neither do we... the thought of it alone is stressful. We live near Worcester, and take Peter Pan normally.. Even though there is a transfer in Hartford, it is only a couple of minutes. We also like to stay over a night or two before the cruise, and driving in would complicate that.

We usually drive in and park at the pier. It's so easy to come off the ship and get into your car, but 2 weeks ago, for our Escape cruise to Bermuda, we took the train from Providence for the first time. We loved it!! I usually do all the driving and it can be a little stressful especially on the way back because I'm so tired from all the fun we had on vacation. Our daughter dropped us off at the station and helped us get on the train. The seats were comfortable and it was nice to be able to get up and walk around. When we arrived at Penn Station, we headed for the 7th Street exit and there was a cab line just outside. It took about 15 minutes to get to the pier and the cost was about $15.00 before the tip.

After our cruise, we headed to the cab line at the other side of the street and we were in a cab within 5 minutes. The cost for the taxi going back to Penn Station was around $10.00. While waiting for our train, we noticed people using the Red Cap Service, so we decided to give it a try. The porter loads up the luggage and takes you down to the track before the other passengers. He checked the cars and found one with seats up front and told us to go ahead and have a seat and he carried our bags on board and put them away for us. It was well worth the tip to not have to fight the crowd getting on the train. The best part was that I was able to enjoy the scenery and take a nap on the way home.

The commuter rail from New Haven is another option. Drive the 90 mins to Union Station, park there at an economy lot, and take the next train to Grand Central which leaves every 30 mins or so. About $17 one way. It's easy to get Ubers and Taxis from there.

We just went on the Gem two weeks ago . We live in a town next to Worcester, We drove to NJ the day before cruise and used Hampton Inn park stay cruise package it was 210 dollars.It was very easy, they shuttle you to the ship and pick you up after the cruise and bring you back to your car. Hotel was also great we will do this again. You also get breakfast before they take you to ship.It took about 3 and a half hours to get there from Worcester.

Greyhound is the way we go... I go from Worcester to NYC quite often. Peter Pan and Greyhound are no longer merged and I have found Greyhound with a slightly better schedule and MUCH better prices. We don't bring much stuff when cruising, so we just walk from Port Authority to the cruise terminal, but it isn't far, so if you took a taxi or Uber from Port Authority it wouldn't be so bad to get you there will all your stuff easily.

When are you sailing?

We just went on the Gem two weeks ago . We live in a town next to Worcester, We drove to NJ the day before cruise and used Hampton Inn park stay cruise package it was 210 dollars.It was very easy, they shuttle you to the ship and pick you up after the cruise and bring you back to your car. Hotel was also great we will do this again. You also get breakfast before they take you to ship.It took about 3 and a half hours to get there from Worcester.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fantastic idea....I will look into this. Thank you very much for sharing!

Hi, there are not great options from Worcester to NYC. Not sure what day of the week you are traveling but Amtrak doesn't have direct trains from Worcester to NYC, you would have to change trains in both Springfield or New Haven and the journey would take almost 5 hrs. Bus services like Peter Pan or Greyhound also have transfers. There is a bus service called LimoLiner that picks up at the Framingham Sheraton and drives directly to NYC (in front of the Hilton) for about $100. I think you can pay to park at the Sheraton. You would need to take a short taxi ride to the Port from there.

Personally, I would just drive my car and park at the Port. I'd much rather drive than have to deal with dragging luggage through multiple train stations or around icky bus stations in Hartford, although if you can drive to Framingham or get someone to drop you off, LimoLiner might be a decent option.

You may also want to post this question in the New England Port website to see if others who live around Worcester have other recommendations.

Good luck,

Lynne

Thank you, Lynne!

We usually drive in and park at the pier. It's so easy to come off the ship and get into your car, but 2 weeks ago, for our Escape cruise to Bermuda, we took the train from Providence for the first time. We loved it!! I usually do all the driving and it can be a little stressful especially on the way back because I'm so tired from all the fun we had on vacation. Our daughter dropped us off at the station and helped us get on the train. The seats were comfortable and it was nice to be able to get up and walk around. When we arrived at Penn Station, we headed for the 7th Street exit and there was a cab line just outside. It took about 15 minutes to get to the pier and the cost was about $15.00 before the tip.

After our cruise, we headed to the cab line at the other side of the street and we were in a cab within 5 minutes. The cost for the taxi going back to Penn Station was around $10.00. While waiting for our train, we noticed people using the Red Cap Service, so we decided to give it a try. The porter loads up the luggage and takes you down to the track before the other passengers. He checked the cars and found one with seats up front and told us to go ahead and have a seat and he carried our bags on board and put them away for us. It was well worth the tip to not have to fight the crowd getting on the train. The best part was that I was able to enjoy the scenery and take a nap on the way home.

This is a great idea! I will definitely look into this! Thanks so much!

• 10 months later...
On 5/16/2018 at 11:02 AM, Cookiebun said:

Greyhound is the way we go... I go from Worcester to NYC quite often. Peter Pan and Greyhound are no longer merged and I have found Greyhound with a slightly better schedule and MUCH better prices. We don't bring much stuff when cruising, so we just walk from Port Authority to the cruise terminal, but it isn't far, so if you took a taxi or Uber from Port Authority it wouldn't be so bad to get you there will all your stuff easily.

When are you sailing?

Thanks, I'm just reading this now. My cruise has been postponed until summer of 2019. I'll look into Greyhound.