Bioluminescent Bay in Puerto Rico

kahess01

Has anyone been to the bioluminescent Bay in the last couple of weeks. Will be in San Juan on the no moon [emoji276] cycle of the moon and would really love a recommendation for a tour company or information on its status

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been to one in Puerto Rico but it was La Parguera Biobay near Guanica which is on the south west side of Puerto Rico. It was awesome. It all depends on the weather and tides. No moon seems like it would be great I think when we went it was no moon. Kind of freaky jumping into a Lagoon in pitch black in which we all did.

If you mean the biobay near Fajardo, the no or new moon phase is indeed the time to go. I don't believe you are allowed to enter the water there anymore as we did many years ago.

I'll assume you are doing this either pre or post cruise?

Another vote for Kayaking Puerto Rico. We are booked with them this coming June, so we don’t have experience yet, but I have read reviews for 4 years (we wanted to do this on our last cruise but there was a super moon). I do research almost daily, and have read every single review for Kayaking Puerto Rico that has been written on Trip Advisor for the last 5-6 years, as well as a couple other operators that were on my list, and Kayaking Puerto Rico has overwhelmingly been recommended the most often, with the most positive reviews as far as their professionalism and equipment is concerned. In my interactions with them during the booking process, they have been extremely helpful and quick to respond to all my questions.

I am also really impressed with them because I was looking to connect with a school that we could help bring supplies to when we come out there, and I randomly asked the person I was emailing with for help, and they went out of their way to find a woman who works as a volunteer coordinator at a local organization that helps students and teachers in need, and it turned out to be a really wonderful recommendation, as that person has been a huge help to us for the last 6 months as we’ve worked on this project. It has nothing to do with their business or their tours, they just helped us out of the goodness of their hearts.

If you mean the biobay near Fajardo, the no or new moon phase is indeed the time to go. I don't believe you are allowed to enter the water there anymore as we did many years ago.

I'll assume you are doing this either pre or post cruise?

We are doing this pre cruise. My husband has a bad back so I’m not sure if kayaking would be a great idea for him ( sounds pretty cool though) so we are looking for alternatives. Maybe renting a car And driving ourselves. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are doing this pre cruise. My husband has a bad back so I’m not sure if kayaking would be a great idea for him ( sounds pretty cool though) so we are looking for alternatives. Maybe renting a car And driving ourselves. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Does he have the kind of back problem that would be aggravated by twisting (like when rowing the kayak?) If so, maybe he should sit out, but if twisting doesn’t bother him, I don’t think he has to skip the excursion. There are also companies that take people into the bay in motorized boats.

When you say “maybe you should rent a car instead,” what do you mean by that? Do you mean that instead of going kayaking, you’ll rent a car and drive around the island instead, or that you’ll get the car so you can drive to some other activity?

Other things that come to mind for him to do are hiking the El Yunque Rainforest (I wouldn’t really call it a hike, it’s more of a nature walk on a paved sidewalk, but because it can be wet, he could slip and that could be dangerous for someone with a bad back), walking around the forts (there are a lot of stairs though, if climbing might be an issue for him), snorkeling (swimming is good for people with mobility issues), doing a tour of the Bacardi rum factory, or walking around the shops in Old San Juan (there are lots of hills though, so take that into consideration if he would have trouble with that). There’s lots of stuff to do on the island, and if you stay in Old San Juan you won’t need a car.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

I also recommend Kayaking Puerto Rico as a company. They do have back supports in the kayaks. I know the bioluminescent bay is still repopulating after the hurricane last year. When I went 3 years ago it was one of the most magical nights of my life. I hope to go again this December.

• 1 month later...
I also recommend Kayaking Puerto Rico as a company. They do have back supports in the kayaks. I know the bioluminescent bay is still repopulating after the hurricane last year. When I went 3 years ago it was one of the most magical nights of my life. I hope to go again this December.

I am hoping to bring my husband to the bioluminescent bay. I had went to one in Grand Cayman last November and I agree that it is so magical.