Suggestions for DIY day trips from Le Havre...Versailles will be closed the day we are in port

bethwildphotography

Hello!

I’m looking for suggestions on ideas similar to Versailles for a mid June sailing. We are a family of four including a 12 year old and a 3 year old. I realize that other destinations will not have the wow factor of Versailles but if I am able to find something exciting for my kids, that will be great.

My family really wanted to see the palace of Versailles. We will be docked in Le Havre on a Monday and the palace of Versailles is closed on Mondays. However, the gardens are open but I think it would be torturous to not be able to go inside. [emoji4]

We are open to renting a car or taking a train. Anything but the ship’s excursion.

We have been to Normandy but never to Paris! I agree that making the trek to see Paris in a few hours would be difficult and a disappointment. We will plan to go back another time. I even thought about staying off of the ship that night and staying in Paris for the night and then catching the ship the following day in Cherbourg. But the trip from Paris to Cherbourg seems to be too far???

So far I have come up with Giverny although my kids are probably going to be bored. haha!

Any other ideas or loopholes that I may have missed to make the most of these ports? Thank you! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giverny is well worth a visit as is the town of Honfleur. Or maybe go to Rouen. Etretat is also famous for Monet and is on the coast not too far from Le Havre.

If you are British the WWII museum at Pegasus Bridge is interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello!

I’m looking for suggestions on ideas similar to Versailles for a mid June sailing. We are a family of four including a 12 year old and a 3 year old. I realize that other destinations will not have the wow factor of Versailles but if I am able to find something exciting for my kids, that will be great.

My family really wanted to see the palace of Versailles. We will be docked in Le Havre on a Monday and the palace of Versailles is closed on Mondays. However, the gardens are open but I think it would be torturous to not be able to go inside. [emoji4]

We are open to renting a car or taking a train. Anything but the ship’s excursion.

We have been to Normandy but never to Paris! I agree that making the trek to see Paris in a few hours would be difficult and a disappointment. We will plan to go back another time. I even thought about staying off of the ship that night and staying in Paris for the night and then catching the ship the following day in Cherbourg. But the trip from Paris to Cherbourg seems to be too far???

So far I have come up with Giverny although my kids are probably going to be bored. haha!

Any other ideas or loopholes that I may have missed to make the most of these ports? Thank you! [emoji4]

Did you even heard about Honfleur ? it is such a nice place and there are shuttles to go from Le Havre with Bee Le Havre. It is less expensive to go with them than with the taxi, it is only 25 euros per adults and 15 euros for kids. It is such a nice place. You can get informations and even book on their website.

Have a nice day ! :)

We have been trying to think about what would appeal to a 3 year old, 12 year old and their parents and its a tough assignment :). Paris certainly has some interesting places, but taking kids on an excursion (of DIY) that involves about 5 hours of transportation is generally not going to be a good thing. Honfleur is certainly a cute town (we love having lunch at their small harbor) but not so sure it would appeal to kids. Giverny is also a bit of a stretch when you have a young child. I started to think about what we would do in that situation and realized we would simply rent a car and immediately head for the D-Day beaches (Omaha and possibly Utah). On the way back to Le Havre we might stop at Honfleur for a snack (ice cream for the little ones). I did a quick look on line and found this interesting Rick Steve's blog:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/to-the-west/d-day-beaches-recommendations-for-kid-teen

A 3 year old is a challenge, but at a place like Omaha Beach they can climb around some of the bunkers and even play on the beach. We were appalled at our last visit to Omaha when we saw Cotton Candy vendors and even a ferris wheel...but now it makes a lot of sense :).

Hank

Honfleur is a lovely town. I recall seeing a carousel there and families walking and enjoying. The seascape with the various boats will keep the kids interest for awhile. Plus the shops sell all sorts of French goodies specific to the region. If you’ve never been there it’s worthwhile to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you even heard about Honfleur ? it is such a nice place and there are shuttles to go from Le Havre with Bee Le Havre. It is less expensive to go with them than with the taxi, it is only 25 euros per adults and 15 euros for kids. It is such a nice place. You can get informations and even book on their website.

Have a nice day ! :)

Thank you! Several recommendations for Honfleur so we will definitely look into that.

Honfleur is a lovely town. I recall seeing a carousel there and families walking and enjoying. The seascape with the various boats will keep the kids interest for awhile. Plus the shops sell all sorts of French goodies specific to the region. If you’ve never been there it’s worthwhile to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great! Thank you so much. Looks like a trip to Honfleur will be a great day for all.

We have been trying to think about what would appeal to a 3 year old, 12 year old and their parents and its a tough assignment :). Paris certainly has some interesting places, but taking kids on an excursion (of DIY) that involves about 5 hours of transportation is generally not going to be a good thing. Honfleur is certainly a cute town (we love having lunch at their small harbor) but not so sure it would appeal to kids. Giverny is also a bit of a stretch when you have a young child. I started to think about what we would do in that situation and realized we would simply rent a car and immediately head for the D-Day beaches (Omaha and possibly Utah). On the way back to Le Havre we might stop at Honfleur for a snack (ice cream for the little ones). I did a quick look on line and found this interesting Rick Steve's blog:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/to-the-west/d-day-beaches-recommendations-for-kid-teen

A 3 year old is a challenge, but at a place like Omaha Beach they can climb around some of the bunkers and even play on the beach. We were appalled at our last visit to Omaha when we saw Cotton Candy vendors and even a ferris wheel...but now it makes a lot of sense :).

Hank

Haha. Yes, their difference in age is challenging but keeping us young. ;) I think this sounds like a really nice day. Thank you for the suggestions.