travel insurance

doowlu

I have been on many cruises and have never bought travel insurance, but I was thinking maybe my luck is running out. I always book air seperate and come from the northeast (inclement weather) so this time I decided to purchase a policy seperate from the cruise line. HAL wanted to charge me 100 dollars per person and it would not cover my missed flights due to weather. I found a policy online for 149 dollars for the four of us and the rep told me that it would cover us for the cruise if we did not make it to the ship due to bad weather. I found the link through this site. Has anyone used insurance other than the cruiselines? And if so, did they have any claims? They also told me that they would pay for any additional connections we would need if we missed our plane due to the weather. Thanks.

Cruiselines selling insurance is a big money maker for them, just like airfare and excursions. They have a lot of people fooled into thinking it is to their advantage to purchase through the cruiseline and once in a while that is true. But, you really have to investigate what you are buying. We have never purchased insurance through the cruiseline and thank goodness we have never had the need to use it. We buy through a third party, plus the credit card we use already has flight insurance included.

Everyone has different needs and has to look at insurance that best suits their needs. Such as, we have no pre-existing conditions, have no elderly relatives and don't include the cost of air in our quote. We wait until after we have made our final payment to buy insurance, so we're not out the $$ for the insurance if we have to cancel before that time frame. Another person may have to purchase as soon as they book the cruise, to obtain the pre-exiting clause.

I think you will find many people, especially those who participate on cruise message boards, who have learned not to buy the costly cruiseline insurance.

Just this week received refund check for cruise I had to cancel 1 week prior to sailing due to family members illness. Got complete refund of cruise cost (didn't include my air in the insured amount but received partial credit towards future flight from American). Have never had a claim related to missed flights so can't comment on that, but I'm of the mind that cruise insurance is a good thing! Particularly now that I've been on the "receiving end". ;)

We've never used the cruise lines insurance and always buy our own. However, we've been lucky to never need it. We found the best site to find insurance is http://www.insuremytrip.com

As a financial planner I echo the advice to get insurance, but not from the cruise company. Lots better options available. Does anyone know if insuremytrip insures Canadians? I'll check their website but thought someone here might know.

I've used Travel Guard in the past, but have since discovered Travelex Travel Lite policy over on http://www.insuremytrip.com. It is less expensive, allows you 21 days leeway to purchase from date of deposit and will still waive pre-existing conditions, and is a primary insurer, meaning they pay first, you don't have to submit a medical claim to your own medical insurance first. We had to put a claim through with them, and they were wonderful to deal with. The absolute best customer service I've ever encountered. Highly recommend them.

We have had to cancel 3!!! vacations recently for various reasons and our insurance from Travelguard was invaluable. They were excellent to work with and we got our money back without problems. (You do have to provide legitimate proof of the reason for cancelling.)

And don't forget to look at the limitation for pre-existing conditions as it's different for each policy. A general rule is about 14 days, which means that if you don't buy insurance within 14 days of original booking, any pre-existing condition is NOT covered.

Robs correct. We always purchase our insurance right away after we book a cruise. There are a couple of exceptions...Travelex Travel Lite policy allows 21 days from date of deposit. CSA has a couple of policies that allow you to purchase up to 24 hours prior to final payment and they will still waive pre-existing conditions. But the CSA policy applies only to those family/friends/business associates who were on the sailing with you. If you have to cancel for medical reasons for a family member who was not traveling with you in the first place, CSA doesn't cover it. Travelex does if you purchase insurance within 21 days.

Archived