Completely confused on Voom packages... please help.

We are a family of 4 sailing on Anthem of the Seas. 2 adults and to 14 year old kids. We all would like to be able to text to each other while we are on the ship but my wife and I do not think the 2 of us need streaming and internet.

If I get the 2 person Voom and Streaming Package for the kids only, can we all still text each other without charges?

We really want to remain in communication with the kids throught the ship as this is the first time they have a little freedom to roam the ship as "teens" without being in a supervised kids club and texting seems to be the easiest way but I also want them to have their "internet lifeline".

So what is the best way to accomplish both of these goals with the Voom packages or some other solution?

On Anthem, you can still use the Royal IQ app for texting for $8 per device for the entire cruise. Download at home and once onboard you can pay the extra for texting.

If you have iPhones, you will be able to iMessage each other without paying for the $8 messaging option. There is some bug in Royal’s system that lets imessages through. Just make sure you have the Royal IQ app and are connected to WiFi (just connected, you do not need to be logged on). I was on Anthem 2 week’s ago and confirmed this still works.

On Anthem, you can still use the Royal IQ app for texting for $8 per device for the entire cruise. Download at home and once onboard you can pay the extra for texting.

Just to clarify... I can only pay the $8 per device after I board... can't prepay... right?

Also, do I need the Voom package (only for the 2 of them) for the kids to be able to get their "internet stuff"

If I get the kids the Voom package do I still need to pay the extra $16 on the Royal IQ app for them to text us or is their texting included in the Voom price (so I would only need to pay for the wife and myself)?

Sorry to be such a pest... I just do not want to throw money away and I think I am getting too old to understand all of this techy stuff!

Just to clarify... I can only pay the $8 per device after I board... can't prepay... right?

Also, do I need the Voom package (only for the 2 of them) for the kids to be able to get their "internet stuff"

If I get the kids the Voom package do I still need to pay the extra $16 on the Royal IQ app for them to text us or is their texting included in the Voom price (so I would only need to pay for the wife and myself)?

Sorry to be such a pest... I just do not want to throw money away and I think I am getting too old to understand all of this techy stuff!

You can only pay for Royal IQ once onboard.

You still need VOOM for anything other than texting others on the same cruise with the Royal IQ App.

Unless you also get VOOM for the adult phones, then you will also have to pay the $8/device for the kids to text you using the Royal IQ app.

There's another option, but it only works if you all have iPhones. Do you?

You can only pay for Royal IQ once onboard.

You still need VOOM for anything other than texting others on the same cruise with the Royal IQ App.

Unless you also get VOOM for the adult phones, then you will also have to pay the $8/device for the kids to text you using the Royal IQ app.

There's another option, but it only works if you all have iPhones. Do you?

Yes, we are all on iphones.

I have a question to add. We will be on AOS in July. I purchased the VOOM package already because I know my niece will want to be able to communicate back home. She does have an I-phone. She mainly wants to have ability to text and really nothing more. Is there a cheaper option for her than VOOM?

Then I would not buy anything until you are onboard.

There has been a bug reported on Anthem and other ships that still use the Royal IQ app. Apple's iMessage has been working without buying VOOM or paying the $8 for Royal IQ app texting.

Now, if the kids will spontaneously combust without Facebook, Twitter, etc., then you will have to purchase VOOM for them.

As far as the adult phones, before you buy anything, connect to the Royal WiFi wireless service (but don't sign up for VOOM) and test if the free iMessage hole is still working.

I have a question to add. We will be on AOS in July. I purchased the VOOM package already because I know my niece will want to be able to communicate back home. She does have an I-phone. She mainly wants to have ability to text and really nothing more. Is there a cheaper option for her than VOOM?

Which AOS?

Oh sorry. Adventure of the Seas

You have two choices for texting on Adventure:

Buy VOOM for the device.

Pay by the text. AT&T & Verizon charge $0.50 per text sent. If you have another carrier, check with them for their rates for texting while at sea.

You have two choices for texting on Adventure:

Buy VOOM for the device.

Pay by the text. AT&T & Verizon charge $0.50 per text sent. If you have another carrier, check with them for their rates for texting while at sea.

And, 5 cents per text received. When you get on board, go directly to the Voom Kiosk in the Royal Esplanade.

There has been a bug reported on Anthem and other ships that still use the Royal IQ app. Apple's iMessage has been working without buying VOOM or paying the $8 for Royal IQ app texting.

Now, if the kids will spontaneously combust without Facebook, Twitter, etc., then you will have to purchase VOOM for them.

As far as the adult phones, before you buy anything, connect to the Royal WiFi wireless service (but don't sign up for VOOM) and test if the free iMessage hole is still working.

Bob,

Thank you so much ! As always you are a font of great knowledge and advice! I will get the 2 person Voom for the kids (yes, i am concerned they may spontaneously combust!!!) but I will wait until I am onboard for the rest.

Thank you to everyone else who replied also.

Bob,

Thank you so much ! As always you are a font of great knowledge and advice! I will get the 2 person Voom for the kids (yes, i am concerned they may spontaneously combust!!!) but I will wait until I am onboard for the rest.

Thank you to everyone else who replied also.

You're welcome and good luck!

OMG... No sooner do I think I have it solved than another question pops up... The Voom says $35 per adult / day for 2 devices. Can I but it under my name and just put the kids 2 iphones on the plan? Not sure how this part of it works.

OMG... No sooner do I think I have it solved than another question pops up... The Voom says $35 per adult / day for 2 devices. Can I but it under my name and just put the kids 2 iphones on the plan? Not sure how this part of it works.

Yes, it does not matter who pays. Once you get onboard you will get an access code and you can give that to whoever you like.

If you have iPhones, you will be able to iMessage each other without paying for the $8 messaging option. There is some bug in Royal’s system that lets imessages through. Just make sure you have the Royal IQ app and are connected to WiFi (just connected, you do not need to be logged on). I was on Anthem 2 week’s ago and confirmed this still works.

I guess you all missed it but as I previously posted, confirmed that the bug still works as of 2 weeks ago.

I guess you all missed it but as I previously posted, confirmed that the bug still works as of 2 weeks ago.

Thanks, but this is the kind of thing that that might fix anytime. I think it's still a good idea for the OP to test it first.

• 3 months later...
yay - hope it is still buggin' come december on liberty!

I am hoping it’s still bugging for Ovation in October 2019 - but as Royal IQ has not been updated since 2016; I think I may have a chance.... unless they roll out the new app by then- fingers (and every thing else) crossed!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums