Amtrak to Florida 2018

AnyShip4Me

Husband and I are taking Amtrak from Boston to Fort Lauderdale for our cruise this fall. Hubbys first time on the train I have been a bunch of times. We are making this adventure part of our vacation.

There are two trains going to Florida both follow each other (for the most part) down the east coast and split up at roughly the Florida/Georgia border and both end in Miami.

1st #91 Silver Star heads west down to Tampa and the rest of the west coast. This train takes about 30 hours to get to Miami. (It also has no dining car but does have a snack bar.)

2nd # Silver Meteor this train it takes the East Coast Route to Miami. It does have a dining car. It takes about 26 hours to get to Miami.

Unlike planes, there are only two seats together, no middle seat drama. I have never purchased sleeping accommodations. They are really expensive and at that point, I might as well fly.

They do offer senior and disabled discounts.

Yes, you can bring all the food and drinks you want. Try and be discreet with any alcohol. The snack bar will give small amounts of ice (please tip the attendant).

I do bring a small pillow and some kind of throw with me. I really sleep well on the train. It is similar to the rocking motion of a cruise ship.

The on-time performance has improved on Amtrak I believe. I remember when we would be 3 to 4 hours late back in the '90's.

Congratulations on your Amtrak choice. We took Amtrak to Miami from NYP (New York Penn Station) and absolutely loved it. Great sleeping, walk around, see great scenery, great food in the dining car, super service from ALL Amtrak personnel who take pride in their work. Add to that, no cramped seats, no surcharges for carrying the smallest of additional bags, no TSA harrassment, little to no risk of being dragged off the train by Amtrak personnel.

We are Seniors and did need to book a handicapped cabin. As such, the price was discounted and did include all meals and a great cabin steward. Perhaps it was more than the cost of airfare, but we figured that it was also part of the vacation and not just an additional expense to get us to/from our vacation start.

We also enjoyed the ability to eat and visit with others and the onboard entertainment that Amtrak provided.

Amtrak will also take us to our next cruise from Hattiesburg to NYP (round trip). We're doing a transatlantic on the QM2 and returning on the Royal Princess.

We have also ridden the new Brightline in Florida and can't wait for all the additional routes to be added. No more I 95 gridlock and delays. Brightline is a beautiful and modern train with exceptional service!

We are also planning a cruise from LA to Hawaii and will take Amtrak from New Orleans to LA (RT) to start our cruise.

Another great adventure and chance to really see the USA.

If you're in a hurry, you probably need to fly. But if not, relax and enjoy the beauty of train travel.

I have booked the Silver Meteor round trip for my Washington-Fort Lauderdale December trip to sail on Royal Princess and Nieuw Statendam. In some respects, I prefer the schedule of the Silver Star, but the lack of a dining car on Silver Star helped me to choose the Silver Meteor.

Depending upon your dates of travel, check the price of Sleeping Car accommodations. Due to the date I have to travel, the Roomette price for the Southbound journey is much higher than my Northbound trip in late January. You might find a reasonable price for such an overnight trip.

Both of the trains still do run quite late at times--sometimes 3-4+ hours. Often, though, the Meteor is on time or close to it. Amtrak has a "track your train" feature that allows one to check how the trains are doing.

I enjoy train travel and looking forward to another trip!

Congratulations on choosing Amtrak for your cruise travel. You're fortunate to live along one of the few corridors of passenger train travel left in the U.S.

I'd love it if there were more passenger train travel options in this country. We lost so much when we let our rail system slip into decay and obscurity in the 60's, 70's and on. Rail travel is a wonderful option for those who don't need the fastest journey from point A to B. It's a comfortable way to travel (could be so much better if the rails were kept up to passenger standard, though), and a great way to actually see the country.

I log thousands of miles of air travel for business every year, but more than a few of my trips could easily be made by rail if the connections were available. Even better, by high-speed rail!

Husband and I are taking Amtrak from Boston to Fort Lauderdale for our cruise this fall. Hubbys first time on the train I have been a bunch of times. We are making this adventure part of our vacation.

There are two trains going to Florida both follow each other (for the most part) down the east coast and split up at roughly the Florida/Georgia border and both end in Miami.

1st #91 Silver Star heads west down to Tampa and the rest of the west coast. This train takes about 30 hours to get to Miami. (It also has no dining car but does have a snack bar.)

2nd # Silver Meteor this train it takes the East Coast Route to Miami. It does have a dining car. It takes about 26 hours to get to Miami.

Unlike planes, there are only two seats together, no middle seat drama. I have never purchased sleeping accommodations. They are really expensive and at that point, I might as well fly.

Yes, you can bring all the food and drinks you want. Try and be discreet with any alcohol. The snack bar will give small amounts of ice (please tip the attendant).

I do bring a small pillow and some kind of throw with me. I really sleep well on the train. It is similar to the rocking motion of a cruise ship.

The on-time performance has improved on Amtrak I believe. I remember when we would be 3 to 4 hours late back in the '90's.

Actually, the routes through the Carolina's are different and the routes don't split at the state line, they split after Kissimmee with the Star going to Tampa and then back-tracking to Auburndale to head south on the same route as the Meteor, it does not go down the west coast of Florida.

I love travelling by Amtrak! Such a relaxing way to go!

The Rail Passengers Association (RPA) just announced that congress has appropriated $2.8 billion for trains. It looks like the New Orleans to Jacksonville route is getting back on track in addition to other improvements. :D

We used to take the Autotrain when we lived up north. It was a novelty the first couple of times, but even in a sleeper we found the trip draining after a while. I think for the trip southbound, if you happen to live in the NY metro area, or further north and willing and able to get up early enough to reach Lorton VA by 2pm, then it is worthwhile. Northbound, though, we found that having to wait until 2pm to leave Sanford was a waste - we could be halfway to Virginia by then. We could sleep in a real bed and still be on the road to home long before the train would allow us to.

Without the advantage of bringing our car with us, we would have had a hard time justifying Amtrak more than a couple of times. The sleepers are really expensive, and we didn't feel we got any decent sleep in the coach.

I think if you've never done it before, look at it as an adventure - part of the new things you're going to see and do during the vacation. You're going to spend most of a full day traveling in daylight from southern Georgia to Miami, and there's lots to see. (I'm not so keen about the view from the train from Boston to Virginia, where you'll be in daylight otherwise.)

Reading your post, I forgot that this was an option to us. I am thinking of taking the train from Charleston, SC to Miami. It would be the 97 Meteor. How does the dining car work? Did I read correctly that it is included in the fare? How are the restroom facilities? We would have to get on at 4:50a UGH, but napping the train will be ok. Anything you can tell me that would be great. I have only taken Amtrak from Mich to Chicago so haven't much experience.

If the Silver Meteor works the same was as the Autotrain (I believe it does), then meals are included with sleeper car accommodations. If you're in the coach, there is a snack bar you can purchase items from.

West of the Mississippi, Amtrak might operate differently. We've never done that.

Reading your post, I forgot that this was an option to us. I am thinking of taking the train from Charleston, SC to Miami. It would be the 97 Meteor. How does the dining car work? Did I read correctly that it is included in the fare? How are the restroom facilities? We would have to get on at 4:50a UGH, but napping the train will be ok. Anything you can tell me that would be great. I have only taken Amtrak from Mich to Chicago so haven't much experience.

If you are in a Sleeper, your meals, which would be Breakfast and Lunch, would be included in your fare. If you are in Coach, you could still dine in the Dining Car, but you would need to pay for your meals. There is a Cafe/Lounge car when lighter fare, snacks, and beverages are available for a charge. Check Amtrak's website for details on the menus, both for the Cafe/Lounge Car and Dining Car.

The restrooms that I have used on Amtrak have all been kept in good condition by the car Attendants. Sleeping Car guests have use of a shower. And, showering on a moving train is a travel experience one ought to have at least once.

We are taking the train to Fort Lauderdale not only because my DH wants to try the train It is also because my DH is the cheapest person you will ever know. :* No sleeping Compartment or Balcony in my near future.

I know it's early but airfares going from Boston to Fort Lauderdale are just nuts. We are going to fly home though, it's only $95.00 each.

If you are in a Sleeper, your meals, which would be Breakfast and Lunch, would be included in your fare. If you are in Coach, you could still dine in the Dining Car, but you would need to pay for your meals. There is a Cafe/Lounge car when lighter fare, snacks, and beverages are available for a charge. Check Amtrak's website for details on the menus, both for the Cafe/Lounge Car and Dining Car.

The restrooms that I have used on Amtrak have all been kept in good condition by the car Attendants. Sleeping Car guests have use of a shower. And, showering on a moving train is a travel experience one ought to have at least once.

Thank you - We would leave at 4:51a and get there some time around 6p so no sleeper. Besides it would be cheaper to fly. lol The problem is the train back is at 8:30a so that rules out taking it from the cruise unless we stay an extra day, which I have no desire to do. I thought about flying back but thats the more expensive airfare. Grrr Anyway, have some thinking to do.

I have taken the train up/down the east coast numerous times per year. My last was a month ago in April from VA to Ft Lauderdale - booked the train that did NOT have the dining car (stops in Tampa), but I did have a room - Never again on this particular train. Cafe car was pretty much out of food by SC, A/C broke in Jacksonville and this particular route zig zags / backtracks in FL and completely ridiculous unless Tampa is your destination...it was the train that never ended, just awful ... hindsight: I should have gotten off in JAX and rented a car. On my return in Ft Lauderdale i paid an additional charge to get myself on the train with dining car - yes, it put me into Richmond around 4:30am, but much better experience.

I take the NE regional up to BOS a lot. They are notorious for being delayed.

I’m currently watching fares for the auto train - it’s been probably 2 years since I’ve done that, but honestly that stupid train via TPA just did me in.

IF anyone knows an app similar to hopper for trains, please share!

What is the cost of the train from NYC?

There are many trains leaving NYC. It all depends on where you are going. No one here can answer your question as it is stated.

Your best bet for an exact price is to contact Amtrak. Then you can look at available times, trains, options for seating, various costs, availability of eating options, and any possible discounts.

I have found Amtrak service assistants to be extremely helpful courteous, and accurate.

If you take the train, just leave yourself plenty of time prior to your cruise for unexpected delays. I took the Amtrak Autotrain from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA last October. As we were going through Jacksonville, a freight train in front of us derailed. We sat on the tracks for 13 hours waiting for the tracks to be cleared. Fortunately, I had a sleeper car (so worth the cost!) and wasn't on an arrival deadline, but I would have been in full-blown panic mode if I was trying to get to a cruise departure!

Meals are only included if you take sleeping accomodations....I travelled Amtrak with my 5 year old daughter, as she could not travel by air, as she had a long going ear infection....We had the time of our live....we loved it....I had gotten a bedroom accomodation which has a sofa that converted to a bed...and an upper bunk...and i had a bathroom in the room itself...It included all of our meals....