Had a nightmare about packing for Alaska

AlaskaNewbie68

After checking weather forecast, thinking on it, and watching videos of peoples late May trips, I may go in and repack a little... I have Columbia jacket with removable fleece, raincoat and rain pants, etc... but no hat and wayyyy to many other clothes. I had planned a triple layer under the jacket most days, but I think I’ll take that down to one pair of long johns, and one wicking shirt, keep the long sleeve shirts, and also not pack 2 outfits for every excursion day :). If needed, we can send out the laundry for cleaning [emoji4]

Right now, we barely have room for souvenirs, so I’d like to free up a bit of space :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After checking weather forecast, thinking on it, and watching videos of peoples late May trips, I may go in and repack a little... I have Columbia jacket with removable fleece, raincoat and rain pants, etc... but no hat and wayyyy to many other clothes. I had planned a triple layer under the jacket most days, but I think I’ll take that down to one pair of long johns, and one wicking shirt, keep the long sleeve shirts, and also not pack 2 outfits for every excursion day :). If needed, we can send out the laundry for cleaning [emoji4]

Right now, we barely have room for souvenirs, so I’d like to free up a bit of space :)

I'm gonna scotchguard my jeans for shore excursions to keep them waterproof, as well as my tennis shoes; Don't really wan't to pack a bulky pair of boots

We leave tomorrow morning and I'll be packing later today. My wife packed yesterday and was surprised by how much room she had left in her suitcase (we're each bringing one large one, 30" or whatever the biggest normal size is you can check on a plane without paying extra). We're doing 10 days on land followed by a 7-night cruise with laundry planned for day 9 on land (I'm mostly just planning to wash base layer shirts, socks, and boxers and only add anything else that might be in need).

I'm not sure if the posts in this thread are helpful, scary, or funny... probably a bit of each. :)

A light waterproof hooded jacket and a sweater are about all the layers you really need. Just rewear things as needed.

We're probably bringing a bit more than this but that's mostly what I'm doing. Jeans, some base layer top (t-shirt or long sleeve) with a hoodie or thin fleece on top (when needed) and waterproof jacket (when needed). Then 2-3 slightly nicer shirts for the cruise but nothing fancy since we don't eat the the MDR.

The most interesting part might be leaving Orlando at noon when it's near-90 and arriving in Fairbanks that night when it could literally be 50 degrees cooler. We both lived in the Philly suburbs until after college so the cold doesn't worry us. I'm not a big fan of rain but we've worn our waterproof jackets in the rain here and they worked incredibly well so it is what it. Also bought a cheapo winter hat and a 2-pack of cheap gloves (for the two of us) on Amazon just in case.

As for shoes, we both have low waterproof hikers that are basically sneakers. Have also worn them in the rain already and was happy.

GL to everyone in their packing endeavors.

Can anyone that has sailed give us advise, we live close to Houston Texas and are used to warm weather most of the year, I have only purchased a light rain zip up hoodie no lining so I can fold it up and put in my small folding backpack for days off ship, I am also bringing short and long sleeve tshirts about 8, some hoodies 4 and jeans 3, I have vionic walking sneakers, regular sneakers, for evenings skinny jeans 2, tall boots and tops and cardigans and dresses for elegant night. will pack some capri pants and maybe a skort or two, we will be in Seattle for three nights before the cruise as well, we have an 8 day cruise, so far we are hoping to take a large and medium suitcase to check and two carry on suitcases, plus do laundry on ship will this be enough? I have been told no coats needed, we will pack a hat, scarf and gloves as well. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Can anyone that has sailed give us advise, we live close to Houston Texas and are used to warm weather most of the year, I have only purchased a light rain zip up hoodie no lining so I can fold it up and put in my small folding backpack for days off ship, I am also bringing short and long sleeve tshirts about 8, some hoodies 4 and jeans 3, I have vionic walking sneakers, regular sneakers, for evenings skinny jeans 2, tall boots and tops and cardigans and dresses for elegant night. will pack some capri pants and maybe a skort or two, we will be in Seattle for three nights before the cruise as well, we have an 8 day cruise, so far we are hoping to take a large and medium suitcase to check and two carry on suitcases, plus do laundry on ship will this be enough? I have been told no coats needed, we will pack a hat, scarf and gloves as well. Thanks in advance for any advice.

For close up to the glacier visits, gloves, maybe a scarf, and a hat that won't be blown off by a hearty wind, along with your windbreaker and hoodie over a short/long sleeved shirt is probably all you should need. Remember - layer! Beware that some excursions may need much more clothing options than others.

In case you get separated from one or more of your main luggage, be sure to pack half and half in each major suitcase; pack one full extra clothing set in your carry ons.

We lived in Alaska (Anchorage) years ago, and have returned over the years for 7 cruises. (We also currently live in North Texas). We wish you a wonderful cruise in the Great Land!

For close up to the glacier visits, gloves, maybe a scarf, and a hat that won't be blown off by a hearty wind, along with your windbreaker and hoodie over a short/long sleeved shirt is probably all you should need. Remember - layer! Beware that some excursions may need much more clothing options than others.

In case you get separated from one or more of your main luggage, be sure to pack half and half in each major suitcase; pack one full extra clothing set in your carry ons.

We lived in Alaska (Anchorage) years ago, and have returned over the years for 7 cruises. (We also currently live in North Texas). We wish you a wonderful cruise in the Great Land!

Thank you for the quick response, so far we are booked on the Seaplane 5 glacier flight and salmon bake in Juneau and the train and ocean rafting in Skagway, Ketchikan taxi tour, husband may go salmon fishing. nothing booked in Victoria.

Thank you for the quick response, so far we are booked on the Seaplane 5 glacier flight and salmon bake in Juneau and the train and ocean rafting in Skagway, Ketchikan taxi tour, husband may go salmon fishing. nothing booked in Victoria.

If you have time in Victoria, you might want to visit the incredible Butchart Gardens; at night they are even more enchanting!

• 3 months later...

Ok were back from our Alaska cruise and really only needed cold weather stuff for Glacier Bay day and if you get on a fast boat of any kind. Otherwise I was hot, I only wore my boots one time! tennis shoes, jeans, tshirt, fleece if you think your going to be cold or a solid rain jacket is a must it rained on and off a lot. Just an fyi you can book the lumberjack show when you get there $39.99!! we had fun, people are a bit grumpy onboard but we were 19 of us so we made our own fun. My biggest disappoint was we didnt get to do the seaplane it was cancelled due to the rain!

Have a great trip dont over pack you really dont need it, the ship was warm everywhere and wish I had brought more short sleeve and shorts options.

Anyone else have packing stress about their first cruise? I think Alaska is more challenging due to the "layers". We will be on Westerdam on June 10. Had a dream last night our flight left at 4 and at 2 I was still packing! 🤣

We were in Alaska a few years ago late July early August...weather was clear except for brief shower one day. Had on winter coat and shoe boots most days but a tee shirt and sweater underneath had the coat off most of the time. Do need a hat and gloves for glacier and on deck but ports were about 74 degrees most days...