Not just breaking even with Cheers......

susan1957

Is it me or are there other people who not only just want to break even with Cheers...but that also want to do more than break even. I was on a cruise a few weeks ago with a friend, I can honestly say (no fault but our own) that we found that the Cheers program actually enticed us to drink more. One night my friend had to be taken to her room in a wheelchair (her own fault yes)....not a big drinker but yes ..always thinking "hey...we are allowed 15.....stupid stupid....I know...anyone?

I don’t think it’s a matter of people wanting to only break even. I think people want to do the math to see if it makes sense for them so they need to know the break even point. When I get it, I don’t drink more just because I can. But I’m sure some do that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is one of the reasons I knew Cheers was not for us. I would have felt like I needed to drink at least 5-6 drinks a day to justify buying it. With being in the sun and all, I would have felt miserable drinking that much every day of a 7-day cruise.

Cheers isn’t for us because I can’t drink more than 5 drinks a day. I’m just not a big drinker and don’t care about getting my moneys worth by drinking milkshakes and speciality coffees. What sucks is it is definitely worth it for my boyfriend but unless we are in separate cabins he won’t have it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I'm guilty of it too. I want to get a nice head change and try to keep it the whole week (afternoons and evenings). In order to do that with all the food and the weak drinks, I really DO have to drink at least 8 a day. I don't want to get sloppy or have a hangover, but I definitely want to get a buzz; otherwise why drink? So yes, I do try to get my money's worth!! ;p

Cheers isn’t for us because I can’t drink more than 5 drinks a day. I’m just not a big drinker and don’t care about getting my moneys worth by drinking milkshakes and speciality coffees. What sucks is it is definitely worth it for my boyfriend but unless we are in separate cabins he won’t have it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depending on what those drinks are, as little as four drinks a day can make cheers worth it. Just two bloody marys in the morning (at $12.50) and two alchemy drinks at night ($10.95) pays for cheers.

Depending on what those drinks are, as little as four drinks a day can make cheers worth it. Just two bloody marys in the morning (at $12.50) and two alchemy drinks at night ($10.95) pays for cheers.

Almost, you're a few dollars short. Cheers is $51.95 per day (plus 15% gratuity)

We did the math and figured we would more than break even and we aren't even huge drinkers. Take out a soft drink and bottle of water a day, maybe a couple of milkshakes during the cruise or cappuccino at dinner, we would only need to each drink 8 beers a day. That really isn't a lot of you consider you're on vacation. It's like one an hour from 5:00pm until things close down around 1:00am. Or as someone said, a couple a Bloody Mary or glasses of wine at dinner and a trip to Alchemy would make it worth our while

We did the math and figured we would more than break even and we aren't even huge drinkers. Take out a soft drink and bottle of water a day, maybe a couple of milkshakes during the cruise or cappuccino at dinner, we would only need to each drink 8 beers a day. That really isn't a lot of you consider you're on vacation. It's like one an hour from 5:00pm until things close down around 1:00am. Or as someone said, a couple a Bloody Mary or glasses of wine at dinner and a trip to Alchemy would make it worth our while

Everyone’s different, but 8 beers a day is a lot for me. We do not drink milkshakes, soft drinks or coffee. But knowing myself, if I spent all that money on Cheers, I would force myself to drink waaay out of my comfort zone just to make sure I broke even. I recently stayed at Embassy Suites just because my family was staying there for an event. Our usual hotel is about $100 cheaper and much quieter. During their “free” happy hour, we drank more alcoholic drinks than usual because we felt that we technically paid for the happy hour in the room rate and needed to get our money’s worth. I didn’t like that feeling. So I can understand the OPs sentiment.

How many people even drink 15 drinks total (of any kind) in a given day? I have tea in the morning, a wine cooler with dinner 2-3 times a week, and bottled water the rest of the time. I would feel bloated and miserable if I was drinking milkshakes, sodas, etc. that frequently.

How many people even drink 15 drinks total (of any kind) in a given day? I have tea in the morning, a wine cooler with dinner 2-3 times a week, and bottled water the rest of the time. I would feel bloated and miserable if I was drinking milkshakes, sodas, etc. that frequently.

I’m completely with you. I would feel terrible and probably become close friends with the porcelain throne! However, my family was absolutely appalled that we did not get Cheers. They might as well had said, “What do you mean you will be sober on your cruise!?!” LOL! And that was from my parents who are nearing 80 yrs old! So to each their own :)

Yes, for many it’s the “I’m getting my moneys worth” lure. Happens with buffets and all you can eat as well as many other “unlimited” options. Mentally most of us are programmed to get the biggest bang for our buck, and for some that instinct is so strong it causes them to overindulge to the point of making themselves sick ... but for others it is more about the options, simplicity of no bill at the end or freedom to try new things... it all depends on an individuals perception of “value”.

I don’t always get cheers, but I don’t think it’s hard to get my money’s worth. Mostly because I also drink coffee, milkshakes and sodas. Also, if you start drinking at breakfast, you could drink a lot of alcohol without getting sloppy drunk. Especially on sea days. Having said that, I get drunk.

Almost, you're a few dollars short. Cheers is $51.95 per day (plus 15% gratuity)

Only if you pay full price. I pay $46.76 per day (as SHOULD everyone) before tip. Those four drinks are $46.90 before tip. So like I said... SMH

Only if you pay full price. I pay $46.76 per day (as SHOULD everyone) before tip. Those four drinks are $46.90 before tip. So like I said... SMH

How are you only paying $46.76 per day before the 15% tip? Carnival credit card?

I don’t think it’s a matter of people wanting to only break even. I think people want to do the math to see if it makes sense for them so they need to know the break even point. When I get it, I don’t drink more just because I can. But I’m sure some do that.

Exactly. I did the math and figured it makes sense for us to purchase Cheers. Of course I want to know the break even point because how else can I make an educated decision? The break even number is not a goal but it is used in the decision making process; will I save or lose money by purchasing Cheers?

I factored in port days as well and even with 4 on an 8 day cruise, Cheers makes mathematical sense for us. We like to imbibe on vacation. We don't have to drive or take care of children. Its party time! :cool:

I hit my 15 drink limit one night, on the Fantasy and it's the only time I've done it

My Bloody Marys came in at $10.25 in March. And they probably aren’t going to drink like that on port days.

My Bloody Marys came in at $10.25 in March. And they probably aren’t going to drink like that on port days.

Not sure why the "port day" argument even factors in. Pax are still ON the ship a good 8-10 hours daily. The exception maybe being Curaçao. Even then you are awake a good 6 hours before docking.

Not sure why the "port day" argument even factors in. Pax are still ON the ship a good 8-10 hours daily. The exception maybe being Curaçao. Even then you are awake a good 6 hours before docking.

Thats what I was thinking. We arrive in Grand Turk on one of our port days at noon. Thats plenty of time to enjoy breakfast and a couple of bloody Marys or mimosas or coffee with Bailey's.