Does RC allow free texting onboard??

I just got back from an NCL Bliss and enjoyed the fact that we could text each other onboard (only apple iphone users oddly) by using imessage and the network.

Does RC offer this now? Its extremely helpful when you're with groups!! This was my first time being able to text with cruisemates onboard and really don't want to do it again without.

We are booked for a January cruise on the Symphony.

No free texting on RC.

There may be an extra cost texting app available by the time you cruise, but right now, in order to text on Symphony, you would have to either purchase internet service or pay your cell carrier by the text.

No free texting on RC.

There may be an extra cost texting app available by the time you cruise, but right now, in order to text on Symphony, you would have to either purchase internet service or pay your cell carrier by the text.

ouch

Yes! This was free on the Harmony of the Seas a few weeks ago! Only when I went to the help line for the Royal IQ app did the workers tell me about it, but they told me they didn’t know what other ships it works on, since I was asking if it would also work on the Allure.

And yes, you are correct, that it is iPhone to iphones or ISO only[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got back from an NCL Bliss and enjoyed the fact that we could text each other onboard (only apple iphone users oddly) by using imessage and the network.

Does RC offer this now? Its extremely helpful when you're with groups!! This was my first time being able to text with cruisemates onboard and really don't want to do it again without.

We are booked for a January cruise on the Symphony.

Thank you for asking about this...and thank you to those who responded. This old cruiser learned something new and helpful today! :)

Yes! This was free on the Harmony of the Seas a few weeks ago! Only when I went to the help line for the Royal IQ app did the workers tell me about it, but they told me they didn’t know what other ships it works on, since I was asking if it would also work on the Allure.

And yes, you are correct, that it is iPhone to iphones or ISO only[emoji3]

This "free" texting is a bug in Royal's internet service and may be corrected at any time. It only exists on Quantum class ships and Harmony.

This "free" texting is a bug in Royal's internet service and may be corrected at any time. It only exists on Quantum class ships and Harmony.

The OP experienced a bug on NCL which reportedly has been corrected on some ships. The app is free, but about $10 per device for texting on NCL.

just an FYI, iphone to iphone works because iMessenger is internet based and does not rely on cellular service. There are apps for android phones that can do the same thing but it is build in for iphones.

Just a reminder to others who might read this and not know the details, iMessage works for free on only 4 RC ships that we know of, and they could fix that bug at any time.

just an FYI, iphone to iphone works because iMessenger is internet based and does not rely on cellular service.

As ^ Bob mentioned it works because there's a loophole in the IT setup of the ships which use the Royal IQ app. Only iPhones and iMessage can take advantage of this loophole - no other apps or phone combos have been reported to work.

I was able to text our daughter during our TA and didn't buy any internet. It worked better once we were in Port but I did Txt her while sitting in the Theater. I even shared photos were in during our Iceland stop. I might add, she had added an Intl plan to my phone.

I was able to text our daughter during our TA and didn't buy any internet. It worked better once we were in Port but I did Txt her while sitting in the Theater. I even shared photos were in during our Iceland stop. I might add, she had added an Intl plan to my phone.

What ship?

The OP experienced a bug on NCL which reportedly has been corrected on some ships. The app is free, but about $10 per device for texting on NCL.

Id pay for it. What about RC though?

If your phone was not in airplane mode, you were using the Cellular at Sea.

Check your cell bill for charges.

We were able to use on ship texting with our iPhones on our Princess Panama Canal Cruise in December. It was a wonderful way for 6 of us to stay in touch regarding meet-ups etc. On Adventure of the Seas last week with my husband we didn't have this option and it would have been so helpful (and saved us mixups too).

To put it another way, RC won't *stop* you from using the cell features on your phone (phone, data, SMS messaging aka "texting"). But those charges will show up on your phone bill.

If you want to use wifi for application data or any other sort of "messaging", you have to pay for that. The exception being using the iQ app for messaging.

Bob this was our Serenade TA last August. We were on an all day tour in Iceland to the South shore and sent her a picture of one of the Falls and stop we made at one of the glaciers. SRF, daughter advised me to keep the wifi on and turn of data and the airplane mode was also off. I didn't use it to much on the ship but did text her once or twice, rest of time, we were at the ports where it worked better. I am not sure what the bill came to during the cruise, as I also had used it during our emergency stop over in Newfoundland after DH heart attack. Daughter told me my bill for the 25 days ( 15 day cruise + 9 days in Canada ) was $100. I was updating a couple members off our roll Call on my husband so they could update everyone else.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We have AT&T and texting cost 10 cents with just text, no pictures. It was useful at times and we did not run up a big bill, either at that price. :D

That's good to know, but most of the time those prices only apply when you are in your own country. Throw in the magic word "roaming" and it's open season.

Bottom line make sure you understand you cell plan. From what I found, some carriers in the world don't count cruise ships under "international" plans, either. Just read the fine print.