Is Havana worth it.

angiem0217

My son is finally 12 and I have been wanting to stay in a Havana cabin since I first saw them. Vista is moving to Galveston so I am looking at Havana rooms on the vista since it is close to us and we can drive. They are a lot more expensive so I am just wanting some opinions if they are worth the extra money. And any opinions from those that have traveled with a teen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally I don't think they are worth - Nice as they may be and it's awesome to have your own private pool area at least for most of the day I just don't see the added expense worth it but that is just me

Now you may want to try it out once yourself just to see if it's worth it for you because really only you will truly know if it is worth the added money

I think if you’re a pool person and like to lay by the pool a lot on cruises, then it’s perfect for you. You’ve got a private little pool with only a handful of people there. No worries about chair hogs or space. And there’s a private bar and lounge area. But for my family it’s not really worth it. My girls don’t like salt water pools and none of us are the lay around the pool all day type of people. So it would be a waste for us. And I’ve heard complaints that a lot of the Havana balcony cabins don’t have much privacy because of having a walkway next to them or their being right next to the pool area. And we really like our privacy while we’re out in our balcony. So instead of splurging on a Havana balcony cabin we got an ocean suite for around the same price.

It also depends on what season you’re cruising. If it’s summer/schools out/holiday, then you’ll gain the privacy more. If it’s off season where cruises tend to be less children, then the benefits might not weigh as much.

We try to cruise in March or November (early) to avoid kid-full cruises. But when we cruise with our kids, we choose summer season and don’t care much about privacy.

It just depends what you’re seeking, desired experience and what do you view as reasonable cost.

Good luck with your decision. Happy cruising!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the responses. I like to lay out around the pool and read so I am seriously considering booking one. But am still on the fence about it.

The closest thing I have experienced to the havana area is the Vibe club on the NCL Escape. This is an area that is adults only, has padded loungers, private bar and hot tub. 75 passes are sold on a first come, first sold basis at the rate of 100.00 pp for the week. Having enjoyed that area firsthand, when I heard about the havana area on the Horizon, I just had to have it since it has a second hot tub as well as a pool, which Vibe does not have. Went with an inside cabin as well since we'll be in the havana area instead of on the balcony. Looking forward to getting our monies worth on our 4 sea days, San Juan day and 1/2 days in Grand Turk and Amber Cove in the havana area on our 8 day cruise in August .

Just came off an 8 day Southern.

HELL YES!

That is just our thoughts.

Loved it.

And yes there are chair hogs here as well.. Each morning the same ladies would come out out around 7 AM, WE had an Aft Wrap and I would enjoy my coffee each morning on the Balcony, they were like clock work, out they came with there little clips to keep there Towels in place and place there stuffs.

Few sea days they did not come out until after noon....

Second & third sea day I must of had something caught in my throat as I had to clear it.. I got the look up and I gave the Stink look right back.

Did not phase them, they tied up 6 loungers....

Had I needed a lounger when we went down, there stuff would have gone to the towel hut.

We walked up to the main pool area around lunch a few times and was way to busy for us after experiencing the Havana .

We have one Eastern Booked on the Magic ( for the itinerary) and then back to The Vista/Horizon and all future will be Havana.

I am not sure your 12yo will enjoy it back there.

On our cruise the youngest was someones daughter and she was 17ish...

Let me know if you have any questions.

My son is finally 12 and I have been wanting to stay in a Havana cabin since I first saw them. Vista is moving to Galveston so I am looking at Havana rooms on the vista since it is close to us and we can drive. They are a lot more expensive so I am just wanting some opinions if they are worth the extra money. And any opinions from those that have traveled with a teen.

I'm hoping it's worth it! We booked Carnival and this specific ship just for the Havana area. I have two teen daughters (will be 15 and 17 when we sail) and they are so excited for this "private" pool area. They are lay out in the sun kind of kids so this is absolutely perfect for them. We have a balcony room on deck 6 overlooking the Havana area so I'm hoping I can communicate with them easily from our balcony. The pool areas on other ships tend to get overly crowded and we have a difficult time finding each other or even getting loungers side by side. I'm excited to give this Havana area a try!

It would not be worth it to us. My husband would hate the balcony area, he likes to sit on balcony and look at the water, not a walkway. No privacy between you and your neighbor. I don't mind Lido, usually lay out at back pool which is quieter.

Pat

The closest thing I have experienced to the havana area is the Vibe club on the NCL Escape. This is an area that is adults only, has padded loungers, private bar and hot tub. 75 passes are sold on a first come, first sold basis at the rate of 100.00 pp for the week. Having enjoyed that area firsthand, when I heard about the havana area on the Horizon, I just had to have it since it has a second hot tub as well as a pool, which Vibe does not have. Went with an inside cabin as well since we'll be in the havana area instead of on the balcony. Looking forward to getting our monies worth on our 4 sea days, San Juan day and 1/2 days in Grand Turk and Amber Cove in the havana area on our 8 day cruise in August .

Let me know your thoughts when you get back. Thanks!!

Just came off an 8 day Southern.

HELL YES!

That is just our thoughts.

Loved it.

And yes there are chair hogs here as well.. Each morning the same ladies would come out out around 7 AM, WE had an Aft Wrap and I would enjoy my coffee each morning on the Balcony, they were like clock work, out they came with there little clips to keep there Towels in place and place there stuffs.

Few sea days they did not come out until after noon....

Second & third sea day I must of had something caught in my throat as I had to clear it.. I got the look up and I gave the Stink look right back.

Did not phase them, they tied up 6 loungers....

Had I needed a lounger when we went down, there stuff would have gone to the towel hut.

We walked up to the main pool area around lunch a few times and was way to busy for us after experiencing the Havana .

We have one Eastern Booked on the Magic ( for the itinerary) and then back to The Vista/Horizon and all future will be Havana.

I am not sure your 12yo will enjoy it back there.

On our cruise the youngest was someones daughter and she was 17ish...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!! My son spends a lot of time in the kids club and I know we will have to spend some time at the waterpark too. I am thinking about just doing an inside cabin in Havana just to see how we like the area, I am also afraid he will be bored with the pool. The cost is a good bit less than the balconies so may go that route for our first time

I'd make a list of what's important to you, and if the Havana offers a lot of what's on your list (vs. standard cabin), then I'd check the pricing.

Perhaps an interior Havana room would meet your needs at a lower price, but perhaps not.

I cannot tell you that, but we did book a Havana Cabana (we've been wanting to do this since Vista came out years ago), and finally pulled the trigger.

For example, some folks on MSC would ask: Is Yacht Club worth it?

The only way I'd sail MSC again would be YC (unless they fix the issues on Divina, but doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon), but is YC "worth it" for me?

Not for $4,000/per person. Yes, cheaper than than say, NCL Haven.

For *me* I'd rather take 2.5 more cruises for the same price (or maybe even 3 cruises).

But everyone has a different list of things they want/like and everyone also has a different budget.

If I could afford it, I'd take YC. But I'd rather take a vacation every year instead of having to save up for 3 years to afford it.

We are cruising on the Vista next year, and I have booked a Havana Aft cabin. Looking forward to an area that will hopefully be less crowded. A place to just Chill, when needed, :)

No worries, Plenty of room to chill.

This was the view from our Aft Wrap Balcony Starboard side.

Pool is behind that Tiki to the right.

Departing Grand Turk

Last Sea Day

First Sea Day

GT.jpg.d25f50c2b2c5cf311e3e3844ef57f650.jpg

SD.jpg.e4330b121111b127a2f15e8718d69cf4.jpg

74592.jpg.6bc0883e6033a2d9545dd67095daa897.jpg

You can see how no one is in the Hot Tubs

Edited by thesmiths