Please Help - Must Try Foods and Excursions

Sabrina28

Hello !!

I hope everyone is well.

I’ll be visiting Puerto Rico in September .

Does anyone have any recommendations on the excursions I MUST abosutley do when I’m there ?

If so , can you also provide me the tours name and company ?

I like adventurous/cool/educational/once in a life time excursions.

Also, I would like to try local restaurants and food .

Does anyone know what there traditional dishes are ?

And where is the best place to eat it at ?

(Local spot only)

If you know of any good clubs to dance that would be nice too !!

Thank you in advance !!! :D

We were recently in Old San Juan and had dinner at Princesa Gastrobar. They had some Puerto Rican recipes dating from the 1850s. The food and restaurant were excellent.

We also enjoyed the Flavors of San Juan food tour.

There are dozens of restaurants all close to the port, and they all have menu posted outside door.

Mofungo is the national dish. Lots of seafood on menus as well.

We have tried 2 different restaurants on our 2 visits to San Juan, excellent food at both. I really don't think you can go wrong.

There are dozens of restaurants all close to the port, and they all have menu posted outside door.

Mofungo is the national dish. Lots of seafood on menus as well.

We have tried 2 different restaurants on our 2 visits to San Juan, excellent food at both. I really don't think you can go wrong.

FWIW, I would not call Mofongo the national dish. It's one of the most common side dishes, though. And one that is pretty great. But it's not one that is in lyrics of songs like pork is. Or rice and beans of some type (there's a song called Aroz con Habichela by the very Puerto Rican El Gran Combo.).

Not to say that Mofongo should not be tried- it's pretty awesome.

Other than fish, Pork is the top meat of the island. By a pretty wide margin. Lechon is amazing.

And Tostones are one of the top sides other than rice and beans. Which are made with the same plantain as mofongo.

FWIW, I would not call Mofongo the national dish. It's one of the most common side dishes, though. And one that is pretty great. But it's not one that is in lyrics of songs like pork is. Or rice and beans of some type (there's a song called Aroz con Habichela by the very Puerto Rican El Gran Combo.).

Not to say that Mofongo should not be tried- it's pretty awesome.

Other than fish, Pork is the top meat of the island. By a pretty wide margin. Lechon is amazing.

And Tostones are one of the top sides other than rice and beans. Which are made with the same plantain as mofongo.

I would beg to differ. We’re here now And every waiter at every restaurant that we’ve been to that has mofongo on the menu tells us that it is “THE” Puerto Rican dish to try. It is very popular and very Puerto Rican...according to the Puerto Rican’s [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our guide took us to a little oceanside grill that sold 'Pinchos'(?) - it's basically chicken on a stick with a local BBQ sauce and some local bread. But it's inexpensive, super tasty, filling and you could not beat the view!

The place wasn't anywhere famous or anything, just somewhere he knew along the beach road back towards town.

I would beg to differ. We’re here now And every waiter at every restaurant that we’ve been to that has mofongo on the menu tells us that it is “THE” Puerto Rican dish to try. It is very popular and very Puerto Rican...according to the Puerto Rican’s [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL, live with them sometime, they don't eat Mofongo enough to make it the national dish.

Its famous, no doubt. But pork is way more important. There's a region of the island dedicated to pernil, there are songs written about it, etc. Mofongo is more a side. Heck, even when songs mention side dishes, mofongo is left out. (multiple food related songs from El Gran Combo)

I'm not saying that it's not totally awesome, and something that if you were going to have one dish that it IS something you should try. But in the 24 years I've been going to Puerto Rico, and engaging in family there, pork is the national dish.