South carribean or western do you need passports?

DWH

We are going to be leaving in June and will pick one of those 2 to go on. Will the wife and I need to get passports?

How long do they generally take to get?

I don't think that you are required to have them at this point...but it sure makes it easier. If you are going to do alot of traveling in the future I would suggest them. Here is the website to get you started....

http://travel.state.gov/passport

My husband didn't want to spend the extra money since there was four of us but it was sure nice going through airport security and going through customs not having to drag along BC and ID for all of us! It took us six weeks to receive them so you should have plenty of time!

The passport requirement was postypones, but it would still probably be a good idea to get them. Not only would you beat the rush to get them when they are required, but they also make things easier.

It depends on the time of year, but it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to get one unless you pay for rush service ($60).

We are travelling as part of a group, and were told that even though the official requirement for US passports was delayed, the ship line itself was actually requiring that passengers have a passport in order to board in Antigua. This is Silversea.

It will help us clear the official hurdles faster -- we've got 40 people on this trip and six ports. We'll need that passport very soon for Canada and Mexico trips anyway...

We were told if you stop in Belize you need a passport. That was from someone at the passport customer service center.

I disagree. (Maybe the person was speaking of someone going to that country on transportation other than a cruise ship?) Please check out this sticky from "First Time Cruisers." There is also other information on that thread, including some about Costa.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=235877

Here is the link to RCI's affirmation of this policy: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/passportGuidelines.do;jsessionid=0000HtgLGhm1g_6vz3T4lgHe2IN:10ktdmqkf

That being said, it is a good thing to have a passport.

We are going to be leaving in June and will pick one of those 2 to go on. Will the wife and I need to get passports?

How long do they generally take to get?

We travelled with photo id and birth certificates until this year. It is definitely easier to travel with a passport...less paper to keep track of and you don't need to worry about a name change due to marriage.

We got our passports in May 2005 and it took 6 weeks to get them. They are a little pricey, but are good for 10 years.

My suggestion is to apply now! Definitely worth the money, more convenient and you will beat the end of year rush.

Also, in Belize (12/05), you didn't need a passport from the ship. Also, you tender into the City from the ship.

When you use a birth certificate/ driving license to enter a foreign country on a cruise ship, your "Visitor's Visa" is actually your Guest ID Card. This is by agreement between the Foreign Government and the Cruise Line.

Guess what happens if the ship leaves - for any reason - without you?

Maybe you get sick, break a leg, have a heart attack, you need to get home quickly to visit a sick relative, somebody dies at home, etc.

Your "Visa" is officially expired the moment the ship departs - and you are then illegally in that country until you can work out an agreement with the local officials.

In some countries, this is not a big problem; in others it is a VERY BIG PROBLEM.

If you happen to have a passport, it is usually far easier to talk to local immigration officials and work it out. If you have a birth certificate from East Podunk, local officials may not even recognize it. You may be in for a very expensive and time-consuming stay in a foreign country at a time when you desperately need to get home.

It is possible to get a US Passport at a US Passport Office (in a major US City) in just a few hours if necessary. If you have the completed paperwork, necessary documents, photos, fees, etc - AND AN AIRLINE OR CRUISE TICKET - the officials can process your Passport in less than one day. Renewals are even faster. I recently renewed my US Passport in Honolulu in 90 minutes time - and they even gave me extra pages because I travel so much.

Passports make it more difficult for Terrorists to move between countries. Every time someone gets a passport the world becomes a little bit safer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived