Cell phone/texting aboard Summit

HardyVA

Simple answer: Yes

Much more complete and complicated answer:

Which iPhone? Do you have an international roaming plan? Do you have Travel Pass? Will you have a wifi package onboard? Is it unlimited?

Verizon has an international travel wizard online. You fill in countries and/or cruise ships and it will tell you your options. You need to activate those before travel. Check that for definitive answers for your personal circumstances.

With any iPhone: You can activate cellular roaming. Calls and text will give you SMS texting (green texts on an iPhone). It will not give you iMessage (blue texts) or the ability to attach photos. Check the current rates, but it was $0.05 per text received and $0.50 per text sent. You can also activate data roaming. That's much more expensive. Travel Pass does NOT cover the cruise ship's cellular service, so you're paying per MB (or I think there's a per 100 MB option).

With most newer iPhones (6 and later I believe): If you have a wifi package onboard, you can activate wifi calling. You will now have SMS (green text) and iMessage (blue text) capability and can send pictures while connected to wifi. This obviously works best with an unlimited package.

In Bermuda, if you have Travel Pass ($10/day), you'll have access to your standard voice and data just like at home. If not, it's international roaming and you're either paying per call/text/MB or you're paying for an international plan.

Wow that's a lot of info. I have iPhone 5....no special plans that I'm aware of. I just want to be able to receive or send texts if there are emergencies. Otherwise I don't need emails, calls, Internet. summits internet pkg is about $250.

From the Verizon Trip Planner (log onto your account and look at International Plans for your actual information). Based on 100MB or less per day of data:

My international travel plan options

International Traveler

Thank you for using our International Trip Planner. Below you’ll find our best recommendations for: Apple® iPhone® 5 . Our recommendations are based on the destinations you entered in your itinerary and your usage estimations.

Best option for your trip.

Celebrity Summit

International Pay As You Go

Pay only when you use your device.

Only pay for what you use on your international trip. Use Wi-Fi where available.

Celebrity Summit

$2.99/minute

$0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

$0.25/MMS message sent

$0.25/MMS message received

Coverage Map List of Countries Dialing Instructions

Bermuda

TravelPass

Take your domestic talk, text and data allowances with you while you travel.

You’re only charged on the days you use your device.

Now your wireless plan travels just like you do. Take your domestic talk, text and data allowances with you. It's the economical way to stay connected. You’re only charged on the days you use your device while traveling.

To add TravelPass: Text TRAVEL to 4004 anytime on the device you'll be traveling with or continue with the Trip Planner by selecting Yes, I want this option or Sign In button below.

$10.00/Day

Bermuda

Coverage Map List of Countries Dialing Instructions

We also had no problem with Facetime. Since it is under the wiifi you do not pay additional as you would for a phone call. Enjoy your cruise.

Facetime requires data and I'm reading their reply that they WON'T have a wifi package onboard.

OP, just be sure to keep your phone in airplane mode while on the ship so you don't accidently use the ship's cellular service. That is very expensive. If you just want to use the phone for emergencies then the $40 Verizon plan is a good back up or you can just pay the standard international rates and hope you don't need to use the phone. That could save you the $40.

Simple answer: Yes

With most newer iPhones (6 and later I believe): If you have a wifi package onboard, you can activate wifi calling. You will now have SMS (green text) and iMessage (blue text) capability and can send pictures while connected to wifi. This obviously works best with an unlimited package.

I have an Iphone 6 and cannot use WiFi calling even from home in NJ. I put it in airplane mode, etc as directed. I have Cricket as my provider (owned by AT&T) and called them. No luck, they didn't know why but they couldn't enable WiFi calling for me when they tried to enable it. Basically said "TOO BAD"

PS:Their web site even says that most Iphones and others can use WiFi calling.

OP, just be sure to keep your phone in airplane mode while on the ship so you don't accidently use the ship's cellular service. That is very expensive. If you just want to use the phone for emergencies then the $40 Verizon plan is a good back up or you can just pay the standard international rates and hope you don't need to use the phone. That could save you the $40.

The $40/month doesn't cover you on the ship; per Verizon's trip planner, that's only pay as you go. If you're only in Bermuda for one or two days, you're better off with a $10/day Travel Pass for that period. Cellular service on the ship is only very expensive if you're using data, or having long conversations, or sending 100 texts a day at $0.50/text ($50). Unfortunately, you can't set the phone to only receive texts and not make and receive calls.

I had an iPhone 5c and had to upgrade to a newer version for a celebrity cruise in 2015. Verizon indicated my 5c was antiquated & I couldn’t get international service. I would suggest calling Verizon and not driving yourself mad trying to figure it out online. Just my 2 cents.