New Orleans 2020

aml3679

My husband and I are big Celebrity fans. Back in October, we moved from New Hampshire to Bradenton, Florida - too sick of winters and endless snow. We bought a mobile home in a 55+ community and love it. The park puts our a monthly flyer and advertised an 11 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to New Orleans and Cozumel for February 21st 2020. We have been to New Orleans, Cozumel and Grand Caymen. They are some of our favorite destinations.

The cruise leaves Ft. Lauderdale and spends a day at sea before hitting New Orleans for 3 days then off to sea for 2 days before going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We had a lot of fun in New Orleans and plan on getting some bignets, eating at Commander's Palace and Rita Mae's Scotch House.

It is so strange living in Florida. We have been to the Caribbean many times but are getting tired of the same places. But, that being said, we have sunny weather almost every day, we have palm trees on our lot and the Gulf of Mexico is only 15 minutes away.

In 2021, I am turning 60 and look forward to a really special cruise - I just have to figure out where. My husband turns 60 on the 28th of January. We are going to Key West for a week to celebrate. He loves music, bourbon and cigars. I got him some of each along with a special cake that looks like a cigar box.

Celebrity does two New Orleans cruises. I think you are chatting about the one that covers the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival first weekend. We were on that in 2017 and this year 2018. Celebrity Equinox both times RT Miami

The other is timed to be at New Orleans leading up to Mardi Gras

My 50th is in January 2021 and I would love to do a jazz/NO cruise sometime around my bday to celebrate. Cruises are only up to Dec 20 at this point, so I’ll need to wait and see what comes up. Is this cruise usually on the Equinox?

We are doing the Mardi Gras cruise to New Orleans February 28th,2020 and staying on the ship(Reflection)and doing the ultimate Caribbean cruise March 2nd,2020.We have been to New Orleans a few times but never at Mardi Gras,so excited.......

Kimberley

Thanks, guys, just thanks, I saw the name of this thread and actually thought for a happy second that Celebrity was putting a ship in NOLA for a little bit (RCCL pulled their ship out recently).

Enjoy your cruise, but know that the original Mardi Gras is in Mobile, not New Orleans. ;).

We are doing the Mardi Gras cruise to New Orleans February 28th,2020 and staying on the ship(Reflection)and doing the ultimate Caribbean cruise March 2nd,2020.We have been to New Orleans a few times but never at Mardi Gras,so

Whoops

My husband and I are big Celebrity fans. Back in October, we moved from New Hampshire to Bradenton, Florida - too sick of winters and endless snow. We bought a mobile home in a 55+ community and love it. The park puts our a monthly flyer and advertised an 11 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to New Orleans and Cozumel for February 21st 2020. We have been to New Orleans, Cozumel and Grand Caymen. They are some of our favorite destinations.

The cruise leaves Ft. Lauderdale and spends a day at sea before hitting New Orleans for 3 days then off to sea for 2 days before going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We had a lot of fun in New Orleans and plan on getting some bignets, eating at Commander's Palace and Rita Mae's Scotch House.

We went on the first Mardi Gras cruise that Celebrity offered last year. We've been to New Orleans in the past but WOW ... Mardi Gras was a completely different experience! It was an absolute blast! I don't know if I would do it again as was able to cross it off my bucket list but I would not hesitate one little bit to highly recommend this cruise. If someone warns you of all the hazards of Mardi Gras, please take it with a grain of salt. We did usually walk in pairs, if not a group, but didn't feel unsafe.

We had a huge roll call and many people were very instrumental in setting up activities / tours ahead of time. Someone shared information on the website for parade stand tickets. We choose the parades on Lundi Gras and I recommend the Lafayette Sq B -- tickets were purchased online ahead of time for only $35 pp. and that location was perfect!

Someone also set up a place with a balcony on Bourbon Street for Fat Tuesday. It was pretty fun to be above the crowds and the ones throwing the beads. It was a little pricey for what you got but it's a once in a lifetime experience.

For the days leading up to Mardi Gras, be sure to get reservations in advance. It's doubtful that a place like Commanders Palace will have any openings for walk ins during that time. There was a huge line at Cafe Du Monde both for sitting down and for the 'to go' line ... but if you are taking the time to wait, as a suggestion, I would say that your room steward would probably love to get a little bag of beignets as a treat!

Of note, the Julia St station for the trolley is right there as you exit the cruise ship terminal. And something else of note, Mardi Gras is a holiday in NOLA so many establishments will be closed on Fat Tuesday.

Enjoy that most wonderful trip!! And ... I lived in your new hometown back in the 70's. It was a great place to live. One thing I will always remember about it was the air smelled like orange blossoms from the Tropicana plant down there. I loved that!

My 50th is in January 2021 and I would love to do a jazz/NO cruise sometime around my bday to celebrate. Cruises are only up to Dec 20 at this point, so I’ll need to wait and see what comes up. Is this cruise usually on the Equinox?

We wanted to do the New Orleans Jazz Fest cruise next year (2019) but have been told that Celebrity's last Jazz Fest cruise was this year (2018) and they will not do anymore. I was so disappointed. I'm just hoping Celebrity will bring back that cruise in the next few years.