Epic haven?

5280mom

Can anyone share comparisons on the Haven experience on the Epic versus the Getaway? We’re looking to sail over Christmas and are looking at the Bliss in connecting balconies (haven at 24K is outside our budget) or the Epic in the Haven 2 bedroom. We have previously sailed the Getaway in the Haven 2 bedroom. Can we expect the Epic experience to be the same or is this an add-on set up on an older ship? Thoughts appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can’t do a direct comparison, but from what I understand, the Epic Haven is bigger. There is a lounge and bar, a good size restaurant, and outdoor lunch spot with bar, the pool area with loungers, pool, and 2 hot tubs. There’s not a retractable roof in this area. Then you have the sauna and restrooms, workout room, small deck overlooking the pool, and the concierge area. Posh is also automatically included.

Have sailed in the Haven on both and agree, the Epic is better. We still loved our Getaway trip, but Posh along with the bigger restaurant, second outdoor restaurant with bar, another lounge, among other perks, the Epic Haven was better.

No comparison. Epic Haven wins hands down. The Haven restaurant on Getaway is half the size than Epic. Plus there is no outside Haven eating either. Posh is so much better than the Haven sundeck on Getaway. The Epic Haven lounge has ocean views. No sight of any water in the Getaway Haven lounge.

My family and I have sailed the 2 bedroom H4 on the Getaway and on the Epic.

As others have said - Epic wins. :) There's the bigger Haven area and restaurant, Posh, and a better bar and lounge.

The 'secret elevators' from the pool deck to the Haven and Posh are pretty cool too. :cool:

The only thing we liked better on the Getaway were some of the staff... Virginia the concirege and Kalai the Haven maitre'd.

We liked the Epic H4 so much, that we're doing the November trans-atlantic on the Epic in the same H4 room we had last time.

As the others have said, the Epic Haven is the better of the two. However, when sailing in December, weather may be a factor in how much of the Haven is usable. We sailed the Epic last January and it was so cold and windy that we couldn't use the outside bar and restaurant. The bar in Posh wasn't much better, and the inside bar in the lounge was closed during the day. We had to use the other bars on the ship if we wanted a drink during the day. It didn't ruin our trip, but it was an inconvenience.

Maybe we were lucky, but we sailed over Xmas to the Caribbean in the Haven on the Epic and Getaway, and we had no problems with the weather. We used all of the outside Haven facilities, including Posh.

I agree about the Epic Haven being the best. Also, they don't pack as many people into the Epic Haven. At Xmas this will be really important. POSH on the Epic is so, so nice. There's plenty of sun loungers for everyone. Cushioned, enclosed, some in the sun, some in the shade completely unlike the sundeck on the Getaway. The bar in POSH is big, nice.

The only drawback is the Epic ship itself. The outdoor promenade with the option for outdoor dining on the Getaway type ships is so nice. The Epic is terribly enclosed, it's hard to even see a peak of the ocean if you aren't lucky enough to be in the Haven, in POSH. The shows are bad. The elevators on the Epic in particular and inadequate. This problem will be magnified when the ship sales beyond capacity at Xmas.

But if you are like me and mostly spend your time enjoying the Haven you will be very happy.

We loved Priscilla on the Epic, and both have Burn the Floor. And Burn the Floor on the Getaway was not as good as Burn the Floor on the Epic or Breakaway. The Getaway seemed to stay with much of the same style dancing throughout the show, few costume changes, etc.

• 2 months later...
My family and I have sailed the 2 bedroom H4 on the Getaway and on the Epic.

As others have said - Epic wins. :) There's the bigger Haven area and restaurant, Posh, and a better bar and lounge.

The 'secret elevators' from the pool deck to the Haven and Posh are pretty cool too. :cool:

The only thing we liked better on the Getaway were some of the staff... Virginia the concirege and Kalai the Haven maitre'd.

We liked the Epic H4 so much, that we're doing the November trans-atlantic on the Epic in the same H4 room we had last time.

I was in the Getaway's Heaven October 2017 from Copenhagen to Miami. Really enjoyed it. The concierge, Virginia and the entire staff of the Heaven was great. Weather was not great for the first half of that TA so few people used the heaven's pool and sundeck. The lounge is not that big but there was always room. They also had a lunch menu that could be ordered from the pool area. I also enjoyed the "skip the line" and reserved seats for the shows.

My only dislike is for cruises that are 10 days and over: The menu in the Heaven restaurant never change. I had 4 dinners in specialty restaurants but 10 days eating at the Heaven restaurant with the same menu lacks of variety. But as you also have access to all other restaurants on the ship, towards the end, I went to others.

I will be in the Heaven for this 13 day cruise from Barcelona to Orlando, November 2018. Looking forward to see the Epic's Heaven. Although I will be doing the back-to back (starting with the 7 day cruise on October 28) I did not book the heaven for that one. As there is only 1 day at sea and for the 6 other days, I will be off the ship for about 8 hours per day, I don't think it worth the extra. The Heaven is great when you have lots of sea days.

I will be in the Heaven for this 13 day cruise from Barcelona to Orlando, November 2018. Looking forward to see the Epic's Heaven. Although I will be doing the back-to back (starting with the 7 day cruise on October 28) I did not book the heaven for that one. As there is only 1 day at sea and for the 6 other days, I will be off the ship for about 8 hours per day, I don't think it worth the extra. The Heaven is great when you have lots of sea days.

If you haven't already done so, join the 2018 TA Roll Call, and add yourself to the spreadsheet.

Roll Call - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2435472&page=59

Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J0MxQbynfnAZuxTv_4lPWe9g8NnrA7JHxIspMkic5MI/edit?usp=sharing

We're in a Haven H4 on this sailing.

If you haven't already done so, join the 2018 TA Roll Call, and add yourself to the spreadsheet.

Roll Call - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2435472&page=59

Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J0MxQbynfnAZuxTv_4lPWe9g8NnrA7JHxIspMkic5MI/edit?usp=sharing

We're in a Haven H4 on this sailing.

Already registered. Thanks

Solo traveller, 17008

My only dislike is for cruises that are 10 days and over: The menu in the Heaven restaurant never change. I had 4 dinners in specialty restaurants but 10 days eating at the Heaven restaurant with the same menu lacks of variety. But as you also have access to all other restaurants on the ship, towards the end, I went to others. .

There is nothing that compels you to eat in the Haven Restaurant. Since the menu never changes (even between ships), we pick days that there are interesting selections in the Main Dining Room and have dinner there. For us, the Haven is good for a couple of dinners and a couple of lunches (at most) per cruise.

Ship wise we like Getaway much better, but if you want haven vs haven, Epic’s haven wins hands down. More space, bigger actual pool, indoor and outdoor restaurant areas, nice lounge and sun decks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums