Suggestions, please...

Babcia7

We're taking Uniworld's Jewels of Spain, Portugal and the Douro River this summer. At the end of the cruise, we'll be spending 2 nights (only one full day) in Lisbon. Uniworld provides a "city tour" in the morning. They have an optional "TUK TUK" tour in the afternoon. I'm wondering if time would allow for a trip to Sintra ( the Pena Palace, Moorish Castle, and Quinta da Regaleira) in the afternoon and evening. Has anyone done a half day trip from Lisbon to Sintra? Any other suggestions for making the most of our time in Lisbon?

We're taking Uniworld's Jewels of Spain, Portugal and the Douro River this summer. At the end of the cruise, we'll be spending 2 nights (only one full day) in Lisbon. Uniworld provides a "city tour" in the morning. They have an optional "TUK TUK" tour in the afternoon. I'm wondering if time would allow for a trip to Sintra ( the Pena Palace, Moorish Castle, and Quinta da Regaleira) in the afternoon and evening. Has anyone done a half day trip from Lisbon to Sintra? Any other suggestions for making the most of our time in Lisbon?

Absolutely doable. Depending on how you travel, Sintra is about 45 minutes away. Each time we have gone we have done everything we wanted to do in Sintra in a few hours. Again depending on how you travel, the trip getting there can be lovely as well And if you are in the mood to shop in Sintra, it has a boutique with the most interesting silk wraps and jewelry. That alone is worth the trip [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... I'm wondering if time would allow for a trip to Sintra ( the Pena Palace, Moorish Castle, and Quinta da Regaleira) in the afternoon and evening. Has anyone done a half day trip from Lisbon to Sintra? Any other suggestions for making the most of our time in Lisbon?
Each of the 3 Sintra locations you mention are worthy of 1-3 hours each. There is no way you are doing them justice in a few hours total. Perhaps if you tour one palace and merely drive by the other two it is possible. Sintra tours often include Cascais and Cabo de Roca. There is lots to see in Lisbon and your morning tour will merely drive by most places. I would suggest either 1) taking the City tour and then spending more time having lunch in town, riding the old trams, going into Castelo de S. Jorge, Jeronimos Monastery etc OR 2) blowing off the included city bus tour and spending a full day at Sintra and surrounds. IMO Your suggested plan allows you to say that you drove by everything, but not much more.

Sorry my earlier post was confusing. I agree with TravelerThom that it takes time to do justice to the three sites that you mentioned. They could not all be done in a few hours, but I do think that you could create a nice trip to Sintra in a half day if you wanted to do that.

Catherine

Agree, you can get there and back in a half day. We have, but as others have pointed out, you do have to make choices as to where you go and you won't see it all.

We had an 8A-2P stop in Lisbon on Silver Wind a number of years ago. We disembarked and walked to Rossio (about 15 minutes from the pier) and hopped a train to Sintra, which took about 40 minutes. We arrived a little before 9:30 and walked up the hill to the Moorish Palace (ruins, but spectacular views of both Pena Palace and the Quinto de Regeliera). At that point we had the choice to continue to Pena Palace further uphill, or come back to the Royal Palace (very near to the train station). We came down to the Royal Palace, toured for about 45 minutes, and then headed back to Lisbon, arriving around 1PM for sailaway at 2PM.

We enjoyed what we saw but as you see, there was more to do that we couldn't get to.

You MAY have more time than we did, as you're staying in a hotel in Lisbon, so you don't have to rush out of Sintra to catch a boat that will leave without you, if you're not on board. But if you have never visited Lisbon before, it is charming and there is a ton to see if you stay there. We didn't visit Sintra until our second visit to Lisbon, BTW..

My number one priority suggestion would be to arrange for more time in and around Lisbon. WHY?? It's wonderful!! There is so much to see and doin this charming Portugal capital, plus nearby in Sintra, Fatima, etc., etc. Need proof? Below are just a few of my visual samples. Plus, on live/blog connected below, you see more details, options, potentials, etc., for Lisbon and the great region. Great history city with wonderful history, architecture, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

PS: Super loved Porto!! Such an amazing town with world-class sights!!

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

For in and around Sintra north of Lisbon, here is a small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". One picture shows my wife with Jose, our super excellent guide for two of the days here in Lisbon. Really have learned lots on the unique history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

June%202017A%201544_zpsbjvyzwyh.jpg

June%202017A%201545_zpszrterwgt.jpg

June%202017A%201543_zpsu95mm5n5.jpg

Here are only two small samplings of the sights in lovely and charming Lisbon. Do any of these bring back memories for those who have previously been to Lisbon?:

June%202017A%201548_zpsn7bano7d.jpg

June%202017A%201547_zps1ciugdwe.jpg

Thank you all so much for your input! Since this is our first time in Lisbon, it might be best for us to explore more of the city itself in the short time we're there. Just wish we had more time in our schedules to spend time in Sintra. Some of the sights sound so intriguing!

Thank you all so much for your input! Since this is our first time in Lisbon, it might be best for us to explore more of the city itself in the short time we're there. Just wish we had more time in our schedules to spend time in Sintra. Some of the sights sound so intriguing!

That will be easier - you'll just have to go back and visit Sintra later!