Reflection -May 26th 2019 Dublin to Fjords

GoGiantsfan11

HI,

We are 3 couples in our upper 40's- 50's looking at doing this cruise next year. Others have not not cruised and I did last year on a Western Med with Royal. I am unfamiliar with Celebrity and this ship. I did notice the prices are a bit higher then choosing Royal out of Copenhagen to almost the same ports but we had wanted to see Ireland a few days prior. The stops are Bergen, Alesund, Geiranger, Olden and Lerwick. Any feedback on the ship or itinerary would be great. Thanks.

Edited by GoGiantsfan11

HI,

We are 3 couples in our upper 40's- 50's looking at doing this cruise next year. Others have not not cruised and I did last year on a Western Med with Royal. I am unfamiliar with Celebrity and this ship. I did notice the prices are a bit higher then choosing Royal out of Copenhagen to almost the same ports but we had wanted to see Ireland a few days prior. The stops are Bergen, Alesund, Geiranger, Olden and Lerwick. Any feedback on the ship or itinerary would be great. Thanks.

Check out Princess and HAL's itineraries....they both do "better" cruises of the Norway Fjords. We did Princess last year and it was terrific. The key for us was getting to North Cape where they farm king crabs and depending on when you are there, the Northern Lights.

Thanks, I do see there is a new HAL ship set to do the same week with this itinerary. Departing from: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Ports of Call:

• Eidfjord, Norway •
  • Cruise Hardangerfjord •
  • Skjolden, Norway •
  • Cruise Sognefjord •
  • Molde, Norway •
  • Bergen, Norway
  • Are these ports better then Reflection itinerary? thank you

I just disembarked from the Eclipse 8 night Norwegian Fjord trip in Dublin and i highly recommend this itineary! We are in our early fifties and found the crowd at least half or slightly more retirees. We did meet alot of interesting people. We found Gerianger the highlight of our cruise with unbelievable beautiful weather. Right before we arrived into Geiranger, we stopped at the 7 sisters waterfall and the captain did a 360 of the ship so that everyone got a view of the waterfalls. It was amazing!

My suggestion to you is to read the reviews on these ports and watch you-tube videos of each location to get any idea of what to see/do. Mother Nature blessed our entire cruise with unseasonably warm temperatures and sunny skies and sailing through the Fjords is like nothing you ever seen.

Dublin is a great place as well, very young and plenty to see. Easy to get around and flying in/out is smooth with the US pre-clearance. I say go for it!

GHStudio - Does HAL have a much older crowd?

I would say equally old...celebrity isn’t exactly a young cruise line on longer cruises

Sent from my iPad using Forums

FIBarb - thanks for the information. Been reading up on all the ports to see what works with us. Glad you had such great weather. How was the seas going from Dublin to the fjords?

There was no issue at all. Never had any rough seas the entire trip. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need information on the ports, flabarb64@aol.com.

We did the fjords our of Southampton last year, so slightly different itinerary but we did Bergen, Alesund and Geiranger. We are in our early 30s and we were definitely some of the youngest, but there were actually several European families with kids. We chose celebrity primarily because they were the only line that did Geiranger (a full day) and Flaam. Princess only did a 1/2 day at Geiranger...not sure about this year though. I agree Geiranger is a don’t miss! We had lots of rain, so make sure you pack appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Southampton to Norway cruise last year and loved it.

Someone on our cruise and the following cruise that visited Ireland had permission to use a drone. They did some fantastic photography. If you look on YouTube for Celebrity Eclipse Norway and Ireland you should find it....

We have done the Norwegian fjords cruise twice on Celebrity M class ships. IMHO, Celebrity has the best itinerary. Olden is picture perfect - one of the most little places in the world. I would not do a Norwegian fjords cruise without sailing through Geiranger fjord, which is magnificent - the seven sisters, and yes the captain did a 360. It was awesome. Geiranger itself, at the end of the fjord is charming, and tours are available to the top of the mountain. Recommend going in the afternoon as it is usually foggy at the top in the morning. Bergen and Ålesund are beautiful cities. I can’t wait to take this cruise again.

We were on the Reflection in the Caribbean earlier this year. It is a lovely ship. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you really want to see the most of Norway and the Fjords, as I said in an earlier post, you should really look closely at Princess. check out the following itinerary as an example:

Ships: Sapphire Princess

Ports: London (Southampton), England | Stavanger, Norway |Flaam, Norway | Hellesylt, Norway | Geiranger, Norway |Trondheim, Norway | Honningsvag (North Cape), Norway |Tromso, Norway | Gravdal (Lofoten Islands), Norway |Alesund, Norway | Bergen, Norway |London (Southampton), England

We also did the Celebrity Norwegian fjords itinerary out of Southampton in 2016. It was an amazing cruise! We chose this vacation for my husband’s 40th bday and my parents joined us.

We stopped in Bergen, Ålesund, Flaam, Stavanger, and Geiranger. All of the stops were fantastic and we enjoyed some good weather and relatively smooth seas. Bring lots of layers and a good rain jacket. I liked cruising from Britain so we had a sea day at the beginning and end of the cruise. I’m guessing cruising from Dublin would have a similar set up.

As far as Dublin goes, we loved this as an embarkation port. Easy to fly in/out of, amazing scenery, and lovely locals! We just got back from the Ireland/Iceland cruise and I recommend that one as well.

Enjoy Norway, it’s beyond amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azamara has the best itinerary. 15 night cruise leaving from Edinburgh. It goes all the way up the coast into the arctic circle. We'll be on it in a little over a month, can hardly believe it's coming up so fast. We figured as long as we were going to Norway perhaps only once we might as well see ALL of it!

Thank you everyone for all the information.. I think we will stick with the Celebrity cruise. It fits best with our timing and you have reassured me it will be If we love it, maybe in the future we will look at the longer cruises that got really north.

• 2 months later...

• Molde, Norway
  • Are these ports better then Reflection itinerary? thank you

Alesund with its Jugend style architecture is a lot more charming than Molde IMO.

Ports are in the heart of both towns, just about 50-100m to walk to the city centers.