Fans on board

rhonda7752

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

You certainly can. Make sure it's in good condition because if they deem it a hazard, they could deny it. I recommend taking it in your carry-on, if possible, because if they have a problem with it, at least you'll be there to plead your case. Sometimes port employees aren't always aware of what is & isn't allowed and try to deny things that are allowed. If you put it in your checked luggage and they take it, you won't find out until you get to your cabin and get the letter that it's been confiscated.

Mine is a small 8" portable fan that's several years old, but still in great shape (it's even in the box). I like taking a long extension cord (8-10 ft.), that way I can put the fan right by the bed. Not just for air, but we also like the white noise.

Also, Guest Services has a limited number of fans to loan out on a first come, first serve basis.

We have a small travel fan that my husband puts right by his head. We bought a 2nd one for our kids' room on our last cruise as well. We just packed them in our luggage, no issue whatsoever. While we were watching them load luggage on the ship, we saw a few 20 inch box fans in with the luggage! There were a couple in boxes and we saw one that was not. We were surprised and my husband said that I should have let him do that. lol We are flying for our next cruise, so I'm not sure that he will get to do it, but if we were driving, I'd tell him go for it.

I don't bring a fan to a hotel, I won't bring one on a cruise.

Feel better now?

I'm platinum with Marriott and Carnival, and one has a thermostat that will crank down to 65 degrees and make the room worthy of an Admiral Byrd expedition. The other has a dial on the wall with a response that might lower the cabin to 75 or so if I'm lucky. The fan goes on one of those.

Thanks for that gem of a post. I'm sure the OP found it to be very helpful. Since we're sharing, I do bring my portable fan to hotels too. Like I said, even if not for the air, we like the white noise.

Feel better now?

I'm platinum with Marriott and Carnival, and one has a thermostat that will crank down to 65 degrees and make the room worthy of an Admiral Byrd expedition. The other has a dial on the wall with a response that might lower the cabin to 75 or so if I'm lucky. The fan goes on one of those.

(y)

What brand of fan does everyone recommend that's quiet and travels easily in luggage?

OP, sorry you had to have someone be rude.

We sleep with a fan at home for the noise, so not sure if some of you are asking for that aspect. I downloaded an app on my phone that has the fan sound but the ocean waves app is my favorite.

Enjoy your cruise (and your fan...and anything else in life that makes you happy - it would be bad to be as miserable as some folks wouldn't it?)

(y)

What brand of fan does everyone recommend that's quiet and travels easily in luggage?

We use an O2Cool 10-inch fan that runs on batteries plus comes with an A/C adapter. Found on ebay
Yep, O2Cool seems to be one of the more popular brands of portable fans. Mine is several years old and still works great. Runs on battery or electric. Back then, I got mine in the camping section of Walmart, but these days portable fans are usually with all the others. I guess everyone's definition of quiet is different. Mine isn't too loud, but then again, we want the white noise, so I wouldn't want it whisper quiet either. Georgiacruizer, have a look at the fans at Walmart or on Amazon & ebay.

I've seen people bring on big box fans, small desktop circular fans, and tiny ones that are about the size of your fist.

An extension cord is also recommended if you like the fan in a particular area, since the outlets may not be optimally arranged.

I sleep with a fan going at home, but oddly I've never taken one on a cruise and have never missed it. I suppose the sound of the wake is a good enough substitute for me. I've never had a problem falling asleep on a cruise either. I'm usually worn out by midnight, especially on port days.

I sleep with a fan going at home, but oddly I've never taken one on a cruise and have never missed it. I suppose the sound of the wake is a good enough substitute for me. I've never had a problem falling asleep on a cruise either. I'm usually worn out by midnight, especially on port days.

I find that I also don't need the fan for white noise, the A/C in the ceiling is loud enough to take over that duty. But the A/C doesn't give enough air circulation for us so we usually get a fan from guest services.