Any previous "Into the Midnight Sun" cruisers....question?

Annarundel

I am new to Viking Ocean Cruises but have done three Viking Riverboat Cruises and loved them.

I was just curious how many ports if any that we would need to use a tender for on this cruise. We leave on July 21st and I am totally excited!!!!

Thanks,

Annarundel

where are you finding the tender information?

One place to look is on the Viking invoice (not the TA's invoice) on the second or third page it lists the ports and the times and if there is a red anchor by a port it means you may be tendering. I think but can't remember clearly enough you can also find it on MVJ (My Viking Journey)

In 2016, we did not tender at all of the ports where we expected to tender.

Edinburgh/Newhaven is definitely a tender port. Edinburgh/Rosyth I can't speak to. (I believe that Viking is using both and it depends on your sail date which berth you are using)

Kirkwall and Lerwick, we did not tender but we also did not dock at the center of town; shuttle was provided however in both towns.

Geiranger, we were the luck ones who got to use the seabridge that day and were able to walk off the ship. Viking isn't always the lucky one and you won't know until you get there.

London/Greenwich is definitely a tender port. The mooring is in the middle of the river.

I am new to Viking Ocean Cruises but have done three Viking Riverboat Cruises and loved them.

I have to tell you that when we heard that Viking was launching into the oceans market (yes, pun intended), we were thrilled. We were confident that they could translate the river experience into a similar ocean experience. In fact, we were so confident that we booked and paid for our 2016 Midnight Sun adventure in 2014--two years before we sailed and one year before Viking had even launched its first ship and sailed its first season. We were not disappointed.

Keep in mind that occasionally the port changes where the ship will dock or anchor, which might result in a fairly last minute change to what Viking or other cruise line shows on its itinerary. For example, we actually docked when we visited Edinburgh. You really don't want to dock there, though - would be Rosyth, which is not an easy or quick port to get in and out of.

Most ships tender in Lerwick, but as I've seen, Viking sometimes docks. Most people will need to take a shuttle bus to the center of the town. When you tender, you're dropped off at a pretty good location. So unless getting on or off the tender boat is difficult for you, there's really no advantage in my mind to docking in Lerwick.

Geiranger has a land bridge thing which requires no tendering, but they charge a hefty fee for it. From what I've seen, only the huge ships use it.

If you want to check what the port has planned for you, which is usually but not always what the cruise line reflects in its itinerary, you need to google/find the port website for each city to see where the ship has been assigned.

Of course, as pointed about by someone else, there are some ports in which there is one option only, particularly when that option is tendering. Greenwich is an example. The tendering there, however, is fast and very easy.

Geiranger has a land bridge thing which requires no tendering, but they charge a hefty fee for it. From what I've seen, only the huge ships use it.

Well that explains why we got the land-bridge when we were in Geiranger! They were trying to butter up the cruise line! We had the VP of Operations on board for our entire cruise so they rolled out the red carpet!!;)

Ha ha Mrs P - I hate to burst your bubble but we had the whole Hagen family on board and it was the Viking Sky's maiden call but we still tendered. ;):D

If you're a "scaredy cat" like me and chose not to take the hairpin bend bus trips, I had the ship almost to myself soaking in the glorious views! It was pouring rain on and off when we were there so I was happy ensconced in the explorer's lounge enjoying all the delights (well nearly all of them, they were gone a long time! Ha ha!) of Mamsen's!

But we did get pole position in Lofoten, didn't we Roothy! ;p The Viking Star, which arrived before us, was sitting out in the fjord tendering everyone to shore, we glided on past to the dock!

Rosyth - we found it a very good location (and the ship was docked there) but then we chose not to go into central Edinburgh. I mentioned on another thread other options if you either choose not to go into Edinburgh or you've been before and looking for something else to do. There are taxis available at the dock - you have to get on a shuttle bus for an extremely short drive out of the secure dock area to where taxis are waiting. I do remember the tour buses all came to the ship's gangway, so no shuttle required for those heading off directly onto those buses.

London Greenwich is the easiest and very short tender ride as they use the Thames Clipper boats. These are boats used for commuter journies and day trips so very easy to get on and off.

Lerwick we docked but please note you will not get a bus going to Edinburgh from there! A lady arriving there off a cruise ship was so keen to go to Edinburgh (and clearly had no idea of Scotland's geography), thought she could just head into Edinburgh for some shopping - so asked the local welcoming committee where the bus to Edinburgh was. Yes we are a small nation, but nae that small! Ha ha!

Ha ha Mrs P - I hate to burst your bubble but we had the whole Hagen family on board and it was the Viking Sky's maiden call but we still tendered. ;):D

If you're a "scaredy cat" like me and chose not to take the hairpin bend bus trips, I had the ship almost to myself soaking in the glorious views! It was pouring rain on and off when we were there so I was happy ensconced in the explorer's lounge enjoying all the delights (well nearly all of them, they were gone a long time! Ha ha!) of Mamsen's!

But we did get pole position in Lofoten, didn't we Roothy! ;p The Viking Star, which arrived before us, was sitting out in the fjord tendering everyone to shore, we glided on past to the dock!

Rosyth - we found it a very good location (and the ship was docked there) but then we chose not to go into central Edinburgh. I mentioned on another thread other options if you either choose not to go into Edinburgh or you've been before and looking for something else to do. There are taxis available at the dock - you have to get on a shuttle bus for an extremely short drive out of the secure dock area to where taxis are waiting. I do remember the tour buses all came to the ship's gangway, so no shuttle required for those heading off directly onto those buses.

London Greenwich is the easiest and very short tender ride as they use the Thames Clipper boats. These are boats used for commuter journies and day trips so very easy to get on and off.

Lerwick we docked but please note you will not get a bus going to Edinburgh from there! A lady arriving there off a cruise ship was so keen to go to Edinburgh (and clearly had no idea of Scotland's geography), thought she could just head into Edinburgh for some shopping - so asked the local welcoming committee where the bus to Edinburgh was. Yes we are a small nation, but nae that small! Ha ha!

Actually, we WERE on Star, and we did have to pass you all cozy at the small dock in Lofoten. Oh well, tender wasn't too terribly long, and since we had a shortish day there anyway, and a Sunday I think as well, I had already given up on having a whole nice day renting a car, and simply did a Viking excursion (stave church, etc. - felt it was worthwhile). Needing an extra 20 minutes due to tendering (including loading up the boat) wasn't a big deal.

We also saw you in Molde, where both ships were docked at slightly different locations. There we got a closer location than you. Ha ha! But of course if you just took Viking excursions, dock location didn't really matter.

I can't believe someone didn't know Lerwick was on an island - wow! I've heard a lot of dumb things, but that's up near the top. Then again, many of us who use Cruise Critic are those who suffer from what one person calls "Obsessive Cruise Planning Disorder " and probably due way more researching than the average cruiser. As for Rosyth, our dock experience was a bit rougher than most because someone had lost her key card while in Edinburgh and the port wouldn't let us in until things were sorted out 20 or 30 minutes later.

In Geiranger, that land bridge looked nice but it did look like a fairly long way, zigging and zagging. There's a webcam for Geiranger that shows it, when ships are using it. In Geiranger, for those not wanting a bus ride up the mountain, there is a boat tour available by booking at the local tourist information center, plus you can kayak or just walk around the small town.

Edited by roothy123

Actually, we WERE on Star

I know, I was just "reminding" you! ;p And when we came back from our excursions, you were gone!

and we did have to pass you all cozy at the small dock in Lofoten. Oh well, tender wasn't too terribly long, and since we had a shortish day there anyway, and a Sunday I think as well, I had already given up on having a whole nice day renting a car, and simply did a Viking excursion (stave church, etc. - felt it was worthwhile). Needing an extra 20 minutes due to tendering (including loading up the boat) wasn't a big deal.

We also saw you in Molde, where both ships were docked at slightly different locations. There we got a closer location than you. Ha ha! But of course if you just took Viking excursions, dock location didn't really matter.

I can't believe someone didn't know Lerwick was on an island - wow! I've heard a lot of dumb things, but that's up near the top.

You're not kidding! I could hardly believe it either! OCPD - that probably fits all of us on here!

Then again, many of us who use Cruise Critic are those who suffer from what one person calls "Obsessive Cruise Planning Disorder " and probably due way more researching than the average cruiser. As for Rosyth, our dock experience was a bit rougher than most because someone had lost her key card while in Edinburgh and the port wouldn't let us in until things were sorted out 20 or 30 minutes later.

I can understand how that would be a real nuisance as they are very strict about access to the secure area. Why on earth they didn't take that one person off the coach and sort it out with them and let everyone else be on their way is beyond me.

In Geiranger, that land bridge looked nice but it did look like a fairly long way, zigging and zagging. There's a webcam for Geiranger that shows it, when ships are using it. In Geiranger, for those not wanting a bus ride up the mountain, there is a boat tour available by booking at the local tourist information center, plus you can kayak or just walk around the small town.

Okay. I can work with that; I'm not scuttled yet; there is still life in this theory:D. Upset the bosses and then show the team how they can improve the experience.

All kidding aside, here is the Sea in Geiranger, July, 2016. This is just a tease. If you want to see more photos, there is a link in my signature (and maybe if we ask nicely, roothy123 will share the link to her photos because the itinerary changed in 2017 when Viking secured berthing in Greenwich so her photos include Greenwich, Molde and Lofoten (sp)):

enhance

Okay. I can work with that; I'm not scuttled yet; there is still life in this theory:D. Upset the bosses and then show the team how they can improve the experience.

All kidding aside, here is the Sea in Geiranger, July, 2016. This is just a tease. If you want to see more photos, there is a link in my signature (and maybe if we ask nicely, roothy123 will share the link to her photos because the itinerary changed in 2017 when Viking secured berthing in Greenwich so her photos include Greenwich, Molde and Lofoten (sp)):

enhance

Great shot, Peregrina, and I remember looking at your photos before my cruise the following year.

Here are links to my photos (2017 itinerary):

http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/london__greenwich_&page=all

http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/scotland_edinburgh_kirkwall_lerwick&page=all

http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/lofoten_islands_and_honningsvag&page=all

http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/tromso_&page=all

http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/midnight_sun__molde_geiranger_bergen&page=all

I have to warn people that I take a lot more photos than most people, and I spend most of my time out in the ports. When my feet tell me "enough" I limp back to the ship.

Somewhere in my pbase.com galleries there are also pictures from our recent Cuba cruise on Viking plus our first cruise (Empires of the Med, I believe it was called, 2015).

Edited by roothy123