The Carnival App

So if you set your cell phone to airplane mode, it doesn't use any data or minutes from your plan? But the app still works? And your camera still works? I was wondering about how to keep my at&t bill from being $600.
That's correct. With Airplane Mode ON, it disables the phone's cellular antenna, so it cannot connect to (in your case) AT&T's network. Sometimes, depending on the phone, putting it into Airplane Mode will also disable the Wifi antenna. If this happens, simply go into the phone's settings and turn Wifi back on. Wifi will work while the phone is in Airplane Mode. With Wifi on, the Hub app will work without purchasing one of Carnival's internet plans. It's free to use, except for the Hub chat feature, which is $5 per device (for the entire cruise). The phone's camera is independent of all of this and has nothing to do with your cell service or billing.

So if you set your cell phone to airplane mode, it doesn't use any data or minutes from your plan? But the app still works? And your camera still works? I was wondering about how to keep my at&t bill from being $600.

yup. airplane mode. i was very very paranoid about getting bill.

camera works.

carnival hub works.

no social package needed. just no internet.

Most of you are going too far in trying to avoid charges. You can avoid charges and stay connected by doing a couple of simple things, The first is to make sure your data roaming is turned off in your settings. You can do that now and it will let you avoid any data charges while not on your main cellular network. You can keep you cellular service on during the cruise and receive texts and calls. Most cellular companies will not charge you for received texts. If you have an iPhone you will most likely need to turn off iMessage if you don't get the internet plan. You can also choose to not answer any of your phone calls, but you know at least who called and if it might be important. Unanswered calls are usually not charged by your carrier except if you have AT&T. They do seem to have some charges even if calls are not answered. As always check with your specific carrier. I always take this approach when cruising and have not run into any unexpected bills but its helpful knowing family or excursion vendors can reach me, if needed,

Disconnect your on vacation , what did you do before???

What did you do before email, paying bills online, using a cell phone, using GPS, using a cruise forum on the internet:cool:, or anything else that you may do differently that you did before technology made it better. If you do not want to connect on vacation... then don't.

Why should anyone else disconnect on their vacation, that does not want to?

Most of you are going too far in trying to avoid charges. You can avoid charges and stay connected by doing a couple of simple things, The first is to make sure your data roaming is turned off in your settings. You can do that now and it will let you avoid any data charges while not on your main cellular network. You can keep you cellular service on during the cruise and receive texts and calls. Most cellular companies will not charge you for received texts. If you have an iPhone you will most likely need to turn off iMessage if you don't get the internet plan. You can also choose to not answer any of your phone calls, but you know at least who called and if it might be important. Unanswered calls are usually not charged by your carrier except if you have AT&T. They do seem to have some charges even if calls are not answered. As always check with your specific carrier. I always take this approach when cruising and have not run into any unexpected bills but its helpful knowing family or excursion vendors can reach me, if needed,
Or...turn on Airplane Mode. Simple. Quick. It covers all the bases. And when helping people who aren't as tech savvy as others and are worried about unwanted charges, Airplane Mode is by far the easiest explanation and simplest way to go.

We're suggesting one simple action...turning on Airplane Mode. You're suggesting...well, everything you said. And you think we're going too far? :o

Remember to download the carnival hub app before boarding the ship. Once you board' date=' and turn off data, I don't think there is a way to download the app to your phone.[/quote']

in laws downloaded once on ship. they are very helpful at CS

Or...turn on Airplane Mode. Simple. Quick. It covers all the bases. And when helping people who aren't as tech savvy as others and are worried about unwanted charges, Airplane Mode is by far the easiest explanation and simplest way to go.

We're suggesting one simple action...turning on Airplane Mode. You're suggesting...well, everything you said. And you think we're going too far? :o

I know reading comprehension can be difficult sometimes. People are going too far as in needlessly cutting themselves off from communications in order to avoid charges. If cutting off all communications from off the ship is your goal then airplane mode is a good choice. If being reachable while avoiding unnecessary charges is your goal them simply turning off data roaming is the change you should make. It can be done at any point so there is nothing to do when getting on the ship.

Just turn Airplane mode on. You do not need to go thru all the stuff this person wrote below. And if you need, turn your Wifi back on if airplane mode turned it off. Now that's more simple.

You are so correct. Once the ship was sailing from NYC last year, my mother all of a sudden wanted to dload the Hub app though she kept saying she was scared to before the ship left, and she was not able to during the entire cruise.

So yes dload the app before the ship sets sail or at least before you are out of range and put on airplane mode on your phone.

Remember to download the carnival hub app before boarding the ship. Once you board' date=' and turn off data, I don't think there is a way to download the app to your phone.[/quote']

Sure you can it's called the App Store. Just do it before you leave the dock.

I think the best thing for people to do is call their specific cell phone company and see what they say. I've been there and done that when it comes to getting off the ship and having a large phone bill when I didn't even use the phone the whole time.

These days there are so many different cell phone providers that following any one person's general advice on how to avoid charges may not be the way to go.

Call your cell phone company.

I know reading comprehension can be difficult sometimes. People are going too far as in needlessly cutting themselves off from communications in order to avoid charges. If cutting off all communications from off the ship is your goal then airplane mode is a good choice. If being reachable while avoiding unnecessary charges is your goal them simply turning off data roaming is the change you should make. It can be done at any point so there is nothing to do when getting on the ship.