Booking a room for 2 with only 1 name known at time of booking?

mom2mikel

We are debating a Carnival or Royal Caribbean 3 night cruise following a Florida theme park vacation. We would want book the room as soon as possible but the issue is that we know we want 2 rooms for 4 people, but we only know 3 that are definitely going. We are taking a friend of my daughters and just the way things can change in 11 months, I don't want to give a name yet. Do you have any suggestions as to how we can do this? Could we do a name change without incurring a service charge? Or, could we book the 2nd room as a single and then add the 2nd person once we know who will be joining us?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, etc!

I've always booked a room as a solo traveler. Recently a friend has decided she wants to cruise and wants to stay in the cabin with me. I added her a couple of weeks ago for a September sailing, and the only expense was addiing the taxes and port charges for one additional person. No problem at all!

Be advised if that should the sailing be selling you might not be able to add later due to the fact that your section of the ship has reach its lifeboat capacity. CCL is goofy with its name change policy, but I would book a Jane Doe and change it when your plans are firmed up.

Be advised if that should the sailing be selling you might not be able to add later due to the fact that your section of the ship has reach its lifeboat capacity. CCL is goofy with its name change policy, but I would book a Jane Doe and change it when your plans are firmed up.

There are plenty of lifeboats with extra space for all beds on the boat.

They are strange with name change. I had to do it once, called up and was told 250 change fee. Hung up and called back a few minute later, got somebody else and was done for free.

Cruise I booked a few days ago their website put the second person as TBD automatically, had to go in and change the name myself. I dont know how long you have to change it after booking.

Cruise I booked a few days ago their website put the second person as TBD automatically, had to go in and change the name myself. I dont know how long you have to change it after booking.

This was my experience as well, just a few weeks ago. I made the booking for two, and the second guest remained TBA until I updated.

I've always booked a room as a solo traveler. Recently a friend has decided she wants to cruise and wants to stay in the cabin with me. I added her a couple of weeks ago for a September sailing, and the only expense was addiing the taxes and port charges for one additional person. No problem at all!

If I could ask, what rate did you initially book with? I have the same situation with a sailing in October, and I booked using Early Saver.. sometimes I get confused what I can do with that LOL!

There are plenty of lifeboats with extra space for all beds on the boat.

This is true, but you can't discount what the poster said. If your room is assigned muster station A and you have a room booked as a one person room and every other room that uses muster station A is full, then muster station A will reach capacity. In that case, your room could sleep 4 but you would not be able to add guests.

You would have to change rooms.