Best neighborhood in London for a 4 day stay

We're doing a TA (Miami to Southampton) the end of April. There are 4 of us that plan on renting a flat in London for 4 nights before returning home. Any neighborhood recommendations? We all like to walk and explore, but close to interesting sites is always a plus. Thanks in advance.

We like to stay in the Covent Garden area. It is central, but is pricey. We use London Connection, https://londonconnection.com for apartment rentals. We have used them four times in the past 6 years. LC is pricey, but they have great service, a good transfer service and nice apartments. You can do it on the cheap and stay in a neighborhood like Earls Court, but I suggest a reputable company in Covent Garden. If you have a group of four adults, two couples, we like the flat on Upper St. Martins Lane.

There are lots of great neighborhoods in London. We stayed in Kensington last summer--walking distance to Kensington Palace, Hyde Park, Harrods, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Natural History Museum, and Royal Albert Hall. I've stayed in the Russell Square area before--walking distance to the British Museum. This year we're staying near Waterloo Station--walking distance to the Tate Modern, London Eye, and Globe Theatre on the South Bank and Westminster, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, etc.

Personally I would prefer to stay in a residential area just outside the main tourist hot spots. You'd be a short ride from the main sights during the day and have a better selection of decent bars and restaurants in the evening. How about Battersea or Clapham, just South of the river?

Two years ago, we went with additional family members (totaling 6 in all) to London for a week. We rented a 3Br/3Ba flat at St George Wharf, which is literally Thameside on the south bank, right at Vauxhall Bridge. As a result, we had the Vauxhall bus and tube stations right downstairs. Several companies rent flats there. We did a lot of research (to the point of determining the exact flat by analyzing the photos and floor plans!), and we LOVED it. It wasn't cheap, but I like to cook on holiday, so we made some of the cost up by avoiding breakfast and dinners out.

And the view was.. Incredible - ~12th floor, direct view of the Thames, could see the London Eye.

I hope posting the listing isn't against the rules. Best photos from the flat. Many others exist from other serviced-apartment vendors in the same building:

https://www.onefinestay.com/home-listing/STG107/

We found it very convenient. And having a home away from home meant we could buy ingredients at the Tesco, Waitrose and the Borough Market and make and eat wonderful, relaxed meals together while we planned the next day's "assault".

(I'm actually a little terrified about not cooking for 2 weeks on the cruise.)