Port Everglades - Global Entry or Mobile Passport App?

If you have Global Entry that is best.

They do have mobile passport but sometimes the machines are not working and you will need to show your passport book anyway.

edited to add: Make sure you bring your Global Entry card as they will not let you go thru that line without it.

Edited by mscinmia
added information.

Mobile passport is fantastic at airport. Love it at FLL airport, so easy. Port Everglades has still not really figured it out. We don't have Global Entry so most of the time they just point us to the regular lines. Thankfully, we are normally off the ship early so there are not long lines anyway to get through customs at Port Everglades.

I don't have Global Entry but I have the Mobile Passport App and I also do self-assist. When the system is down, as it was on my Allure cruise in January, I just showed my passport and it took all of 1 minute and I was done.

I wanted to get the Global Entry, but the closest place to get it is about 2 hours from here so I settled for the the Known Traveler since I only plan on cruising and not going to Europe as I have in the past.

We disembarked at Pt Everglades. I asked where the Mobile App line was, had to show it on my iPhone and he took us to the line. Three people were ahead of us. We had to have our passports open so Border Protection could glance at them and off we went. We got ahead of several hundred people. All the app did was get us in the short line but that was terrific.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There really is no global entry at Port Everglades -- just a shorter line if you have it. We have both Global Entry and the Mobile Passport App. Our porter just took us thru the shorter line.

When we returned on Freedom a couple of months ago I showed the person who was directing the lines my mobile passport on my phone. He asked me if I had my passport. When he saw that I had it in my hand he directed me to a lane around the agents and straight out the door of the terminal. Just one more reason why I love sailing out of Port Eveglades

Last time I went through PE (December 2017), the suites went to the head of the line, but we were told that they did not honor global entry.

You were misinformed, unfortunately. They DO honor Global Entry at PE but there is no kiosk like at the airport. They just take you to a courtesy line (the same one that serves the Suites) so it's much faster.

You can wait until you are at the port to enter the details of which port number. I used mobile passport is April 2018 and went right though the line. You will be directed by signage and it is a breeze. Just have phone on and passport book out.

The hub and I were just talking about which of these we should get, or should we get both. If they are basically the same thing, why would we spend $100 for GE when we can get the MP for free?

Depends on what your goal is and if you do a lot of cruising out of PEV or international flights.

GE is worth every penny for the convenience of not waiting in line. If you’re willing to pay $85 for tsa pre-check alone, then you might as well pay the extra $15 for GE. You get precheck as part of the GE and that extra $15 pays for itself the first time you walk past a 20+ minute customs line at an airport or PEV.

We will be on Allure. Do you use the app for embarkation and disembarkation too?

Only when you disembark. All your passport information and photos are pre-loaded into the app. Once you arrive to the port, you open the app, add the data for your port of entry, cruise line, and terminal, answer a couple of CBP inspection questions -- i.e. right after breakfast when you have data at the port. Then you have 3 hours to get off the ship, get your luggage, and exit the terminal.

We have used the Mobile Passport for our last 3 cruises out of Port Everglades- Love it! Makes customs so much simpler and fast. Pair it with the Luggage Valet and you will have the best disembarkation ever!

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Last trip into PE Royal had signs posted all around ship touting mobile passport. When we disembarked however discovered the system was down that day. Fortunately we have Global Entry and were directed around a veeeeeeeeeery long line to an empty cbp station. Out the door in 30 seconds.

For those considering GE, some credit cards pick up the $100 fee.

So if you are in a suite, do you need either of these? Do I understand correctly that suites have a dedicated line for disembarking?

Suites sometimes do get a dedicated line, but not always.