Pickleball- what ships have it?

I am packing my paddle! Where there a lot of people playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good idea about taking your own paddle and also suggest taking a couple of Onyx balls.

See attached photo showing the ship's paddles (wooden with holes). We fortunately had two regular pickleball paddles brought by another guest and a couple of Onyx balls. The ship only had tennis balls.

We gave the CD and the Sports Director info on how to buy pickleball paddles, balls and portable nets for future cruises. Pickleball Rocks! :cool:

IMG_4138.JPG.91f23599854c048817b4d7a7e6ce2b92.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up.

I am packing my paddle! Where there a lot of people playing?

They were wrapping it up, literally when we walked by so I’m not sure how many people were playing. The sports crew were packing the nets and gear into large bags.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on Allure last week and can report that the Pickleball was very good!

They had excellent nets, paddles and decent balls. There were three courts set up on the basketball court. The first day they had a tournament and around 16 teams played. They had open play on St. Martin day but it was too early for me to make it. They had open play again on Labadee day and I was able to play. Conditions were a little windy but very playable.

I am hoping this becomes standard on Royal ships that have an adequate sports court. The sports activities guy said it has been very popular and is slowly spreading throughout the fleet.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this conversation as I'm not sailing on Royal Caribbean but on Royal Princess (Princess Cruise Line) In our Roll Call I'm keeping track of people who want to learn Pickleball and those who already know how to play. We have 14 people who want to learn and 5 who know and have their own paddles and balls and Royal has Pickleball courts.

I have posted and updated links from time-to-time YouTube Videos on Pickleball. I hope some people find this helpful:

PICKLEBALL YOUTUBE VIDEOS:

II will try to post aPickleball link every Monday Madness; Non-Volley Zone; Kitchens; Dinks …O My! (DatesPosted are month/day/year.

1) How TOPLAY PICKLEBALL PART ONE OF Three:

(Posted7/16/2018)

2) Howto Play Pickleball Part Two of Three:

(Posted 7/16/2018)

3) Howto Play Pickleball Part Three of Three: HTTPS://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/WATCH?V=RVFB97HVLXS (Posted 7/16/2018)

4) PickleballRules | The Definitive Beginner's Resource to How to Play Pickleball

(Posted 7/23/2018)

5) Pickleball:Serving for Success, Deb Harrison

(Posted 7/23/2018)

6) Pickleball:Return of Serve, Deb Harrison

7) Pickleball411: All Episode playlist (youtub.com) 28

(Posted 8/6/2018)

8) pickleballtournaments: Woman’s’ double 50 plus:

(Posted 8/6/2018)

9) pickleballtournaments: men’s double 55 plus:

(posted 8/6/2018)

Ramona

I would like to encourage anyone sailing soon that is wondering if their ship has Pickleball to ask Royal Caribbean customer service. The best way to reach them is via email. They also have a Facebook page and Twitter account where they tend to answer these kinds of question fairly quickly. As they see the demand, they are more likely to deploy it across the fleet!

On the Oasis in a couple weeks. I play a lot of Pickleball and would love to play onboard. Anybody know if they’re playing on the Oasis?

If so I’ll pack my paddle.

We were on the September 9 sailing of Oasis and we saw pickleball being played every morning on the sports courts. There was a good sized group of active players. Many of the players appeared to have brought their own equipment. Definitely pack your paddle!

• Thanks 1

Are the photos from Anthem?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, from Allure. Don’t know if Anthem has it.

Anthem would be ideal with the indoor sports court. Contact customer service at Royal and ask them if they do.

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 1:34 PM, sueandkent said:

On the Oasis in a couple weeks. I play a lot of Pickleball and would love to play onboard. Anybody know if they’re playing on the Oasis?

If so I’ll pack my paddle.

So what happened?  Do they play on Oasis?  Trying to decide if we should pack paddles

9 hours ago, Ttprincess1226 said:

So what happened?  Do they play on Oasis?  Trying to decide if we should pack paddles

9 hours ago, Ttprincess1226 said:

They had it on Allure but I don’t think they have it yet on Oasis. They had very good paddles for people to use on Allure so if you are tight on space, just leave your paddle home.

i have found the most responsive way to get answers to questions like “does Oasis have Pickleball” is to message the official Royal Caribbean International page on a certain large social media site that rhymes with racehook. I asked there about Pickleball on Ovation and I was told that they don’t have it now but have equipment on order and should get it in February!

I am an avid pickleball player in Maryland. We started a pickleball association in Howard County, MD and now have over 700 active players in the state. We host the senior Olympics every year in Ellicott City, MD We have 8 dedicated pickleball courts that were built by the county and our home owners association for 60K. I will be playing with a number of beginners on the Rhapsody of the Seas on a singles cruise

10 hours ago, Ken Greco said:

I am an avid pickleball player in Maryland. We started a pickleball association in Howard County, MD and now have over 700 active players in the state. We host the senior Olympics every year in Ellicott City, MD We have 8 dedicated pickleball courts that were built by the county and our home owners association for 60K. I will be playing with a number of beginners on the Rhapsody of the Seas on a singles cruise

Hi Ken,  I will be on the Rhapsody in March.  Do you know if Pickleball is always on their schedule.  I didn’t know whether to pack my paddle or not.

i was recently on the Independence of the Seas and they offer Pickleball on port days.  Didn’t make much sense to me since we had plans on those days.

Arlene

16 minutes ago, arste said:

Hi Ken,  I will be on the Rhapsody in March.  Do you know if Pickleball is always on their schedule.  I didn’t know whether to pack my paddle or not.

i was recently on the Independence of the Seas and they offer Pickleball on port days.  Didn’t make much sense to me since we had plans on those days.

Arlene

Not sure if it is on the schedule but I asked the sports people if we could set up a net and he was ok with it.

Liberty of the Seas had 9am open play on the 3 at sea days.  Ship had a flimsy net,  good paddles & balls avail on one side of the sports court, which was located between the rock climbing wall & surf rider.  Area was also very windy & noisy, so it affected play.  They should also offered play time when ship's in port also, when it's less windy.

128074192_2018-10-2909_23.33-1.thumb.jpg.e3fec61b3e9fd81476e99d2130e8d0fe.jpg

Edited by NavyCruiser
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2018 at 1:55 PM, suncityga said:

Last November on Brilliance of the Seas' westbound Transatlantic crossing we had Pickleball Open Play from 9 AM to 11 AM every sea day... and we had about 20 players most days. First couple days we did some quick 'Learn To Play' Clinics and it took off from there.

1125630351_IMG_4211a-001.JPG.0564958095540d9628b4ab29a731b59c.JPG

1671238626_IMG_4212a-001.JPG.585090d7d5bcc121925e2718ed544034.JPG

1725741596_IMG_6710a.JPG.6e49cdf5f2da3e72fe5e6d9f541cd578.JPG

Pickleball for an hour is not enough! Every cruise line should offer pickleball on very ship or at least have the facility and equipment available.

24 minutes ago, S&Slovecruises said:

Oasis had pickleball paddles and the correct balls.  This was last September.  Was just on Oasis March 3rd and I think they had it every morning.

Thank you. I will look in to it. Cruise lines should be offering this venue across the board. Not all seniors  just want to sit around especially when food is available 24/7. Have to burn those calories. Even the young folks play it. I play practically everyday here in Grand Rapids.

Edited by Frogtog
  • Like 1